Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to first of all thank all you guys that gave me advice on my original thread (Helmut, Moose, and others, 04 350 Rancher,1/26/10, piston ring issue.)

I have finally taken it apart and the cylinder was checked out by a mechanic that said I really could get away with new rings and honing the cylinder or boring it out with new piston and rings. He also stated that taking it apart is easy but reassembly requires a manual to make sure everything is in its place. Is this a scare tactic? I had it in TDC when I removed it and I don't believe it moved from that position. Is there something that I am not aware of? You guys were right on about disassembly so I am looking to you guys for reassembly. If the piston looks fine, is it fine to leave it and just do the rings. What I am asking is, is this a smart choice? I don't want to sound cheap but I also don't want to throw money away either.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
It shouldn't really matter if it is on TDC or not, because the Ranchers don't have an overhead cam. That means that you won't have to mess with the timing. It might make it a little easier to bolt down the rocker arm assembly with the engine at TDC. It's really not that hard to reassemble it, especially since it don't have an overhead cam. Here is a link to a free downloadable repair manual for the 2000-2003 Rancher. The 2004 should be pretty much the same.

http://www3.telus.net/leneng/pdf/Hon...air_Manual.pdf

You might be able to get by with just honing the cylinder and reusing the piston and just buying standard size rings, but I can't guarantee it because there's no way that I can tell how much the cylinder is worn. I've done it before, though, but if there's any scratches or damage to the cylinder walls, then you will definitely need to bore the cylinder and use over sized piston and rings.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
I agree^^^^^^ I think I would spend the extra and step up one piston size maybe even a dome-top you would be amazed at how much stronger your quad would be.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
^^^^^^I agree too.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I agree^^^^^^ I think I would spend the extra and step up one piston size maybe even a dome-top you would be amazed at how much stronger your quad would be.
That would be the best route to take, because that way you will know the cylinder walls will be to the proper specifications. A cylinder wears over time and you also get taper. Honing won't remove the taper or out of round conditions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, lots of good ideas. Sounds like I may bore it out to be safe. It only has 1000 miles on it but I guess if it still smoked after I reassemble it it will cost more to tear it down again. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I took the cylinder to have it miked and it needs to be bored .25 over. Seems it is bigger in the center of the cylinder so I oredered the piston and rings. Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts