Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1986 fourtrax 200sx and it has a aftermarket (SHOWA) rear shock on it and it will barely hold my weight. i need to no if the shock from another year or model will work for my 1986.
any help will be greatly appritiated

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Try measuring the expanded height you will have to measure the shock off the quad. measure from hole to hole and then look the specs on another machine to see what you come up with, Honda used Showa shock on our quads in the past it may be stock post up a pic of it

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I've never owned a 200sx, but I have owned 85-87 Fourtrax 250's and I can tell you that all 3 years on the 250's were the same. What years did they make the 200sx? I would bet that all years of the 200sx would be the same. But it would be best to do like TRX2fiveO says.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
That's a factory shock Bro it has no stiffening adjustment like Helmut states the shocks will be basically the same but measuring is the best thing to do.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for the heads up.i found a shock on ebay its a 1987 model i just wonder if it will have the same problem i have now. i called a atv scrap yard in atlanta and they said 175 dollars for a used 1 and i about well you no lol.

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
How much difference is there in that model and the 300 fourtrax. If they are the same you may be able to use the rear shock out of 300EX to put under it.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Get one with an adjustable spring load. measure yours and I will measure the extra one I have we may can come up with a compromising price.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all your help guys. here are the measurements its 13 inchs from center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole.the overall measurement is 14 inchs

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I will measure the shock I have this weekend...Also you need to measure the width where it bolts up. the bonus of the shock I have is it's adjustable for stiffer or softer ride.

thanks for all your help guys. here are the measurements its 13 inchs from center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole.the overall measurement is 14 inchs

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
OK I will check mine. If mine is a little narrower you can space it with washers and I would suggest getting 2 new bolts and lock nuts make sure they are Grade 8 Quality too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey i got a shock today its like a 1/2 inch bigger but its gonna work.i checked the break lines and they have plenty of clearence for the extra travel.
i,m still intrested in the shock you have if the price is right. thanks again for your help

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Cool is it adjustable? post a pic.

hey i got a shock today its like a 1/2 inch bigger but its gonna work.i checked the break lines and they have plenty of clearence for the extra travel.
i,m still intrested in the shock you have if the price is right. thanks again for your help

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah its a gas shock not sure of the name has 2 different adjustments on it. but there is a problem now i cant keep the front wheels on the ground, whitch aint bad for me but the wife cant ride it as i fear she will hurt herself.
i didnt get any piks of it off the 4wheeler but i was able to take these after you ask for them

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah the shock is to big and it changed the way my 4wheeler rides it pushed the back suspention up more the 2 inches and i think thats what the problem is now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts