Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i'm new to this site and need help. the boot on the rear drive shaft of my 08 420 es rancher is torn and i need to get the knuckel out to replace it. i have talked to a mechanic at a local dealer who tells me i do not need to pull the rear end to do this. however i dont seem to have enough play in the in the shaft to do this. if anyone has ever replaced it or have any insite it would be great. thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Are you speaking about the outer boot or the inner? If it's the outer you should be able to cut the clamps and slide the boot away from the outer joint this is after you have removed it from the hub assembly. Take the spline s of the joint in one hand and a big rubber mallett in the other, wack the pis out of itclose to where the axle goes inside the joint, it should pop right out leave the little clip on the axle after you remove the joint, slide off the old boot clean the shaft off. get the small crimp band that came with your boot andput it on first then take the new boot rub a bit of grease in the little hole to help it slide, slip it on and away from the axle end take your joint and completely clean it out get lots of brake cleaner and spray it out until there is no grease left in it. With a ripped boot you have contaminated the old grease and its not joint friendly anylonger. go to your local autoparts store and grab a tube of CV joint grease it's kindof blueish looking clip off one corner and stick it where the axle goes in and squeeze it all out you will see it surround the bearings after that take the joint line the splines up with the axle push it until it stops then take that rubber mallett and smack the end of the joint where the axle nut goes unitl it slips over the clip ring I told you to leave on. After you do that give her a tug and see if its seated, slip up the new boot there should be indentions on the axle and the joint edge where the boot will go. Slip on the larger crimp band and crimp them both. Congratulations you have just rebuilt your firt CV Axle. Cars are the same by the way. put it back to gether and ride ride ride. Hope this Novel helps you out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just replaced mine, all you have to do is remove the two side bolts holding the swingarm to the frame... then remove the shock which then will give you enough room to get the knuckle out!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts