Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there a kit that guys are using to replace all the rear differential seals and bearings? A kit that last and is good quality? Bike is a 99 fourtrax 300fw
Thanks

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Hi Diovol. Can you add a signature to help others help you? Year and model is really all that is needed.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Edited first post as it was misleading. I'm just looking for a bearing/seal kit. Just trying to find a kit that will last. I know there are many out there but just like wheel bearing kits some fail quickly....
look at one of our site supports, boss bearings, I use them all the time, come very highly recommended !!, very good bearing and seal kits, beats '' all balls '' hands down..lol. and as far as I know ?, they are made here in usa.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Edited first post as it was misleading. I'm just looking for a bearing/seal kit. Just trying to find a kit that will last. I know there are many out there but just like wheel bearing kits some fail quickly....
look at one of our site supports, boss bearings, I use them all the time, come very highly recommended !!, very good bearing and seal kits, beats '' all balls '' hands down..lol. and as far as I know ?, they are made here in usa.
Boss Bearings is a US-based company, right here in NC as a matter of fact. I believe their bearings are made by an Indian company though. That company supplies a lot of major manufacturers of heavy industrial equipment globally. They are pretty much the Timken of the east, and their bearings are of very good quality.

If Boss offers a bearing or other product that I need, that's what I buy. They have not failed me yet.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Boss Bearings is a US-based company, right here in NC as a matter of fact. I believe their bearings are made by an Indian company though. That company supplies a lot of major manufacturers of heavy industrial equipment globally. They are pretty much the Timken of the east, and their bearings are of very good quality.

If Boss offers a bearing or other product that I need, that's what I buy. They have not failed me yet.
yep, I agree 100%. I use nothing but boss bearings if they have what I need ?, they are very good bearings and seal kits from what I've used so far ?, i'd buy them in a heart beat !.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
This was the bearing and seal kit I used on mine. It seemed fine, price was right. I don't recall what brand the bearings were if they were even marked, but I have another kit on my shelf for the 350D from the same guy I might have a look and see what brand is on them. The ring and pinions he sells are garbage, don't buy them.

Honda TRX300FW 300 Fourtrax 4x4 ATV Rear Differential Bearing Kit 1988 2000 | eBay

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm confused as to why everyone insist on using oem wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, etc but cheap's out on bearing's in the rear differential? This is one of the more time consuming jobs to replace bearing's so why not put something in there that you know is going to last. I'm not referring to boss bearing's as I have no experience with them but theses ebay kits are probably worse than all balls which I believe is made by kml

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
All Balls are out of spec junk. Utter crap.

I use boss wheel bearings, because they about 1/2 of OEM price, and are a "wear item" so they'll be replaced at regular intervals anyway.

If OEM lasted twice as long as Boss, I would buy OEM, but they don't, so I buy the cheaper part. Will OEM last LONGER than Boss? Probably, but not twice as long.

I use OEM tie rod ends and ball joints, because they are as cheap as aftermarket.

As far as diff bearings, if your seals are good and you keep the fluid clean, they should last a LOOONG time assuming the bearings are decent. Boss is decent. Are the OEM quality? Probably not, but again, at 1/2 the price, I'll buy Boss.

Bearings are a maint item, so buying cheap or expensive is determined by how often you want to do said maint, and how much your time is worth to change them.

I'd rather replace mine a little more often. I like to tinker and more frequent maint means you catch things that aren't as they should be.

If you don't have good seals, or run water in your diff, nothing is going to last.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes depending on the environment bearing's can last hundreds of thousands of miles. I find it ironic that boss bearings sells a all balls rear diff kit on their website.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.