Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I bought an 03 400ex, rear end was all messed up, carrier bearings shot and piece that holds the brake rotor was broke and caliper and rotor were missing. Didn't concern me too much. I ordered just a basic cheap carrier with bearings from eBay that is supposed to fit that year and a new rotor and the piece that holds it. First issue is that the carrier when put in the swingarm sticks out ~1/8" on other side of swing arm so with the caliper holder on, it can slop back and forth. I'm assuming this might possibly be an aftermarket swingarm? I measured against an 01 400 I also have and where the carrier goes through found it to be a 1/4" narrower. Also the spacing seems screwed up on the axle, when I get everything stacked together, it is spaced out just a hair too far to be able to get the circlip that holds the axle nut on. Am I missing something odvious or am I facing a bunch of different aftermarket parts? And how would I ID this stuff to order correct parts.

· Registered
620 Posts
you have a 450R swingarm like i said you prob did. most 400ex ones crack. The chinese dont mess up bearing carriers...they have been making them for 2 decades.

heres a OEM 400ex swingarm to see the difference. Yes a 400ex carrier is wider then 450r. Just send the carrier back and tell them you realized you have a 450R one. The metal its self does not make them cheap...its the bearings but once you wear the bearings out you can buy replacements from LSR which is a better upgrade. Aluminum is Aluminum now days. Bearings are not.

the 450R swinger is better. Someone might of even swapped the entire rear to 450R. 450R axles are a bit wider but not much.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you have a 450R swingarm like i said you prob did. most 400ex ones crack. The chinese dont mess up bearing carriers...they have been making them for 2 decades.

heres a OEM 400ex swingarm to see the difference. Yes a 400ex carrier is wider then 450r. Just send the carrier back and tell them you realized you have a 450R one. The metal its self does not make them cheap...its the bearings but once you wear the bearings out you can buy replacements from LSR which is a better upgrade. Aluminum is Aluminum now days. Bearings are not.

the 450R swinger is better. Someone might of even swapped the entire rear to 450R. 450R axles are a bit wider but not much.

I can just get a 450 R carrier them right? What would I go about measuring / looking at to determine if is a 450r axle? I suspect something is different because when I try to assemble everything the spacing seems off

· Registered
620 Posts
Just take pictures. I'll know by looking at it. You won't. Yes you need 450r carrier. It's the same as 400ex just hair shorter. Axle was about inch wider. Rear brake stuff might be 450r too, it's all a bolt on upgrade. Post it all up.

· Registered
620 Posts
If it all worked before you had a machined spacer between rotor hub. Both generation 450r swingers look the same but an inch shorter you'd need to measure overall distances. My buddy builds better swingers than factory. I'd never put a cast aluminum back on. I've broken my fair share. Why don't you take a photo of everything laid of and end the madness so we can see how it was put together or atleast me the old guy schooling the younger guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts