Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mine have not worked since i have had the quad and i was wondering if i could just remove them or if the housing has to be there.

if i can remove them how do i go about it.

pulled the cover off them and they were filled with all kinds of water and much. i just wont to elimate them and not have something else back there that can get hung up on something.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
You can just pull the shoes out. As for removing the whole unit I believe it has to be there for the seal to make contact. But someone correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
yea thats what i was thinking about the seals.

how do i get to the shoes???
Yeah, I think you have to leave the drum and the cover for the seals to seal around the axle.

To get to the shoes, you remove the drum cover and then the drum slides off. There's an o-ring you have to remove before you can slide the drum off. It is between the axle and the drum. You can take a small flat screwdriver or pick and stick back under the edge of the drum and dig it out.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Remove the right wheel,cotter pin,nut,wheel hub,the cover bolts then the cover

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
yea thats what i was thinking about the seals.

how do i get to the shoes???
Yeah, I think you have to leave the drum and the cover for the seals to seal around the axle.

To get to the shoes, you remove the drum cover and then the drum slides off. There's an o-ring you have to remove before you can slide the drum off. It is between the axle and the drum. You can take a small flat screwdriver or pick and stick back under the edge of the drum and dig it out.
Wish I could typ with mor than 2 fingers....lol

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
You don't need to take the wheel hub off unless you're going to completely remove the drum cover or drum. You can just slide the drum cover and drum back against the hub and remove the shoes.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
You don't need to take the wheel hub off unless you're going to completely remove the drum cover or drum. You can just slide the drum cover and drum back against the hub and remove the shoes.
Yeah I just do it because it's easier for me to get to. Oh wait yep your right I was thinking about taking it all off.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah I just do it because it's easier for me to get to. Oh wait yep your right I was thinking about taking it all off.
The only problem with taking the wheel hubs off is that they seem to want to loosen back up and you can't hardly keep them tight and the splines will start wearing. I don't take them off unless I absolutely have to.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The only problem with taking the wheel hubs off is that they seem to want to loosen back up and you can't hardly keep them tight and the splines will start wearing. I don't take them off unless I absolutely have to.
Have you ever tried marking them?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
If you mean, marking them so they will go back on on the same splines, then no, I haven't tried that. Does that work? I know it don't matter how tight you get the nut, they will work back loose.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
If you mean, marking them so they will go back on on the same splines, then no, I haven't tried that. Does that work? I know it don't matter how tight you get the nut, they will work back loose.
It has worked for me. for some reason if I don't mark it then it does like you say and loosen up. I don't know why?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
It has worked for me. for some reason if I don't mark it then it does like you say and loosen up. I don't know why?
I'll have to try that the next time I take a hub off of one. I always just figured it was a light press fit and then when you took them off and put them back on, they weren't pressed on anymore. I know if you take a new axle and new hubs, the hubs will fit on real tight and they won't loosen back up. But the next time you take them back off and put them back on, then they will loosen up.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'll have to try that the next time I take a hub off of one. I always just figured it was a light press fit and then when you took them off and put them back on, they weren't pressed on anymore. I know if you take a new axle and new hubs, the hubs will fit on real tight and they won't loosen back up. But the next time you take them back off and put them back on, then they will loosen up.
I know what you mean and I guess it is a press fit but I think there might be a slight difference in the width of the splines that causes play and tends to loosen but I'm not really sure.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
ahh the o ring. i keep pulling and pulling on that thing with no luck.

preshate it
Yeah, the o-ring has to come off first or you will never get the drum off.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I know what you mean and I guess it is a press fit but I think there might be a slight difference in the width of the splines that causes play and tends to loosen but I'm not really sure.
That makes sense. The next one I take off, I'll give that a try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts