Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded from a 300ex and bought a used 2005 400ex. I got a good deal on it mostly because it had been stripped down to replace the rear axle with an aftermarket one as well as the brake rotor, sprocket, and rims and tires.

well it was never fully put back together and i was having some problems mounting the brakes to the swing arm.

it appears there is a piece missing that will reach from the caliper to the stay on the swingarm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it's there and looks new. i'm not sure if it is aftermarket and doesn't fit or i was even wondering if i had the wrong year caliper.

how big in diameter is the rotor supposed to be?

when you sit the caliper on the rotor there is probably an inch difference between the holes on the stay and the caliper holes.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Inch difference up and down or side to side? If its side to side is the rotor on the left side of the Disc (rotor) hub?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm in the process of looking at the manual but yes the rotor is on the left of the hub. it is lined up with the holes pretty well side to side its just that there is a gap vertically.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Post some pics...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here's some pictures of the caliper and the mount. i tried to show both holes.

the caliper is sitting on the rotor and cannot make it any closer.

hope these help, i have a couple more pictures of the caliper itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well not a stock rotor. Has it been used or is it new, looks new. Any numbers or stamps on the rotor?
Whats the diameter of the rotor?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's all completely new. when we bought the bike we got a box of misc. parts as well and there were two old rotors included that appeared to be used heavily (one was probably the stock) and they appear to be the same size when measured as the new one.

unfortunately i am not at home during the week because of classes but i can check when i go back this weekend.

i also wondered if the caliper bracket was for the right year so here is a picture of the caliper and bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
went and looked at the brakes again today and measured the old sprockets. they are 8 5/8" in diameter. i'm pretty sure they are the same size as the one on now. i couldn't find any stamp on it but i did see the sprocket hub was marked A 349 i believe. not sure if that helps at all.

i might have another picture of the caliper bracket to include too.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i may have finally solved my problem, still waiting on the parts but i think i finally have the right ones coming on the 3rd try.

i guess it turns out the carrier was replaced with a Rad carrier. i figured this out after i purchased a new stock caliper stay from the local shop and realized it didn't fit on the carrier. it lines up with the holes on the caliper, but it is only 70mm in diameter where it fits on the carrier which is around 74mm.

the caliper stay i have is for the 99-04 model caliper bracket, which doesn't help me since it won't fit the 05-present model years.

so, now that i will have ordered three caliper stays i find myself a little frustrated for spending money on parts that don't fit, but relieved i finally figured it out.

oh, and they guys at Rad mfg. are great to deal with, they helped me out a lot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
put your extra parts on ebay. That stuff always sells

1 - 14 of 14 Posts