Honda ATV Forum banner

121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Big thanks

Look's like there are alot of members that come on here lately with a problem about thier atv's not starting ??..turns key on..pushes start button..and they only hear a clicking noise comming from somewhere ??? ( i said somewhere..because they have no idea what or where it is ! )..lol. anyway..your answer !!..this is a sign of a couple reasons as to what is going on..first..your battery could be weak ?..or dead ?..depends on how long you let it sit ????. soo..first thing's first..check your battery..make sure it's fully charged ???..now..push the start button....same thing..clicking noise that's driving you crazy..and not starting ??..ok..now..locate your starter's solenoid..it's round..and most of them are near your battery..it has two large cables on it..there is a 10mm nut that attaches the cable to the terminals...make sure the post is clean..and tight ?..now..follow the cable to your battery..do the same here..clean..and tight !. back at the solenoid's other termianl post..is the other large cable..check to see if it's clean and tight ?..if so..follow it to your starter....it's attached with a 10mm nut...about middle ways of your starter. check to see if it's clean and tight ?. now..go back to your battery....find the neg post on the battery....see if it's clean and tight ?..follow this cable to your starter or a motor bolt ?..most of these cables bolt up near the starter...either with the starter bolt that attaches the starter to the motor ?...or near the starter..is a 6mm bolt going through the cable..into the motor. see if it's clean and tight ?..okkk..now..go back to the solenoid..you know...that pesky round thing that makes that clicking sound when you push the starter button !!..with key on ( check to make sure all your fuses are not blown ! )..push the start button..does the atv crank up ?..or do you hear that damn pesky noise again ?..if you hear that clicking noise...take an old screw driver..and touch the screw driver to both tops of the solenoid terminals..did the bike crank over ??..or did it do nothing ?..if it cranked over...then replace the solenoid..it's bad !..if it did not crank over when you put the screw driver on the solenoid's terminals..then take a hammer..and slightly tap the starter as your pushing the start button....if the starter turns over after this..then your brushes are worn to much..and you can either replace the brushes in it ?..or..buy another starter ?. if you have found that it's your starter that is bad...remove the starter from the atv ( make sure you unhook the battery from the atv )..just one cable..neg or pos...does not matter. if you have a service manual ( which..you really should have one ! )..it will show you how to pre-test the starter. before you start removing the bolts/screws from the starter ( pay attention to this next part..VERY IMPORTANT ! )..scribe a couple lines across the ends of the starter..where the ends meet the middle...this is so...when you go to put it back together..you can line the ends up where they are suppose to go !..pull the starter apart, test the armaiture..it shows you in the book how to test it..and ohm it out. clean the ends out of all the grim and dirt..and crap..i'm sure it's full of it !!..an air compresser works wonders..if ya don't have one..well..wing it !!..lol. grease the ends of the armature..bearings if it has them ?..most do. put your new brushes in..put it back together. do not tighten the bolts or screws down to tight !!!..try spining the starter by hand..does it spin kinda easy ?..if not..you got something wrong ?..or..your new brushes have not '' seated '' in yet. now..take a set of jumper cables..hook them up to a good battery..car/truck..or even a battery by itself..just make sure you got the cables on the right post on the battery's end !..now...at the other end..hook the neg on the body of the starter..the best place is the ends of the starter..where the two bolt holes are. now..briefly..touch the pos cable end of the jumber cables to the starter's bolt post..becareful..if the starter is rebuilt right..it will kinda jerk as it turns really fast !..if you did it right..then congrats..you just over hauled your starter..and saved a few bucks !..if you failed..well..it's time to go shoping for a new starter !..lol. hope this helps out gang !.
I was able today because of this write up here able to diagnose my clicking problem, had been all over viewing threads and youtube howtoo`s but this was the best, was so easy to follow, I went through every step and was able to determine my problem was the starter.

So thanks hope its OK for a Arctic Cat guy to comment...I have 2 Honda Motorcycles so that could be my in...I have a 1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate and a 2015 Honda Shadow Aero 750:funnyhonda:

·
Super Moderator
36,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Look's like there are alot of members that come on here lately with a problem about thier atv's not starting ??..turns key on..pushes start button..and they only hear a clicking noise comming from somewhere ??? ( i said somewhere..because they have no idea what or where it is ! )..lol. anyway..your answer !!..this is a sign of a couple reasons as to what is going on..first..your battery could be weak ?..or dead ?..depends on how long you let it sit ????. soo..first thing's first..check your battery..make sure it's fully charged ???..now..push the start button....same thing..clicking noise that's driving you crazy..and not starting ??..ok..now..locate your starter's solenoid..it's round..and most of them are near your battery..it has two large cables on it..there is a 10mm nut that attaches the cable to the terminals...make sure the post is clean..and tight ?..now..follow the cable to your battery..do the same here..clean..and tight !. back at the solenoid's other termianl post..is the other large cable..check to see if it's clean and tight ?..if so..follow it to your starter....it's attached with a 10mm nut...about middle ways of your starter. check to see if it's clean and tight ?. now..go back to your battery....find the neg post on the battery....see if it's clean and tight ?..follow this cable to your starter or a motor bolt ?..most of these cables bolt up near the starter...either with the starter bolt that attaches the starter to the motor ?...or near the starter..is a 6mm bolt going through the cable..into the motor. see if it's clean and tight ?..okkk..now..go back to the solenoid..you know...that pesky round thing that makes that clicking sound when you push the starter button !!..with key on ( check to make sure all your fuses are not blown ! )..push the start button..does the atv crank up ?..or do you hear that damn pesky noise again ?..if you hear that clicking noise...take an old screw driver..and touch the screw driver to both tops of the solenoid terminals..did the bike crank over ??..or did it do nothing ?..if it cranked over...then replace the solenoid..it's bad !..if it did not crank over when you put the screw driver on the solenoid's terminals..then take a hammer..and slightly tap the starter as your pushing the start button....if the starter turns over after this..then your brushes are worn to much..and you can either replace the brushes in it ?..or..buy another starter ?. if you have found that it's your starter that is bad...remove the starter from the atv ( make sure you unhook the battery from the atv )..just one cable..neg or pos...does not matter. if you have a service manual ( which..you really should have one ! )..it will show you how to pre-test the starter. before you start removing the bolts/screws from the starter ( pay attention to this next part..VERY IMPORTANT ! )..scribe a couple lines across the ends of the starter..where the ends meet the middle...this is so...when you go to put it back together..you can line the ends up where they are suppose to go !..pull the starter apart, test the armaiture..it shows you in the book how to test it..and ohm it out. clean the ends out of all the grim and dirt..and crap..i'm sure it's full of it !!..an air compresser works wonders..if ya don't have one..well..wing it !!..lol. grease the ends of the armature..bearings if it has them ?..most do. put your new brushes in..put it back together. do not tighten the bolts or screws down to tight !!!..try spining the starter by hand..does it spin kinda easy ?..if not..you got something wrong ?..or..your new brushes have not '' seated '' in yet. now..take a set of jumper cables..hook them up to a good battery..car/truck..or even a battery by itself..just make sure you got the cables on the right post on the battery's end !..now...at the other end..hook the neg on the body of the starter..the best place is the ends of the starter..where the two bolt holes are. now..briefly..touch the pos cable end of the jumber cables to the starter's bolt post..becareful..if the starter is rebuilt right..it will kinda jerk as it turns really fast !..if you did it right..then congrats..you just over hauled your starter..and saved a few bucks !..if you failed..well..it's time to go shoping for a new starter !..lol. hope this helps out gang !.
I was able today because of this write up here able to diagnose my clicking problem, had been all over viewing threads and youtube howtoo`s but this was the best, was so easy to follow, I went through every step and was able to determine my problem was the starter.

So thanks hope its OK for a Arctic Cat guy to comment...I have 2 Honda Motorcycles so that could be my in...I have a 1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate and a 2015 Honda Shadow Aero 750:funnyhonda:
lol, as long as it helped you ?, then it's ok :). I ride my '85 vf700c magna when I have the time and warm weather..lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts

lol, as long as it helped you ?, then it's ok :). I ride my '85 vf700c magna when I have the time and warm weather..lol.
Seriously you covered it so well... I just sold a 1984 V45 Magna 750 this past summer, was a great bike, but something went dead and I was not able to figure it out, I sold it broke for 500 bucks

Yep on my Arctic Cat the starter was locked up, my new starter arrives tomorrow. In Canada prices are nuch higher, had to pay 165 to get Thursday, my snowplow, I am lost without it

I had another offer for 110, but they had no idea how long it might take to get.

I saw some on ebay USA for 40-70 bucks, but then there would be customs and would take forever to get it. Arctic Cat dealer near me asking 400 and change I kid you not

thanks

·
Super Moderator
36,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #124

Seriously you covered it so well... I just sold a 1984 V45 Magna 750 this past summer, was a great bike, but something went dead and I was not able to figure it out, I sold it broke for 500 bucks

Yep on my Arctic Cat the starter was locked up, my new starter arrives tomorrow. In Canada prices are nuch higher, had to pay 165 to get Thursday, my snowplow, I am lost without it

I had another offer for 110, but they had no idea how long it might take to get.

I saw some on ebay USA for 40-70 bucks, but then there would be customs and would take forever to get it. Arctic Cat dealer near me asking 400 and change I kid you not

thanks
your welcome. I've been doing this for about 18 years now, all self taught..lol. I don't know everything ?..but I know a little !..lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What do the signal wires control that come from solinoid? Can they interrupt ignition or can the solinoid​ being bad cause that?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I HV no fire to the plug.u mentioned stator, I'm not sure it wasn't run without a battery before I aquired it. If it's the stator is it trashed? Will it fire without the stator with enough battery?

·
Super Moderator
36,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I HV no fire to the plug.u mentioned stator, I'm not sure it wasn't run without a battery before I aquired it. If it's the stator is it trashed? Will it fire without the stator with enough battery?

if the stator is bad ?, no, it wont fire the spark plug. wrap on the c.d.i. as your cranking it over, get fire then ?, if so ?, c.d.i. is bad. kill switch clean, and in the middle ?. neutral light lit up ?, if not ?, it won't fire the spark plug.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok thank you sir, moving forward. I know there would be a few little safety things that could cause it. It wasn't symptomatic for any of the above really, just stopped after riding, prolly a simple something that's a pain to find,. LOL thank you sir.

·
Super Moderator
36,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Ok thank you sir, moving forward. I know there would be a few little safety things that could cause it. It wasn't symptomatic for any of the above really, just stopped after riding, prolly a simple something that's a pain to find,. LOL thank you sir.

your welcome. main thing ?...YOU MUST HAVE A NEUTRAL LIGHT ON AT ALL TIMES TO FIRE THE PLUG !.

·
Super Moderator
36,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
HV that.

you do know this is a sticky, right ?, it's not meant to post in, please make a thread if you have not ?, in the correct section, and we can continue this convo there :).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have one shade, it's about the neutral light starting on to fire the plug on my TRX300. SORRY, new to this tech stuff.

·
Super Moderator
36,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I have one shade, it's about the neutral light starting on to fire the plug on my TRX300. SORRY, new to this tech stuff.

lol no worries, you had it in the welcome section !..lol. I moved it to the repair section :).

·
Registered
1 Posts
endofroad

Just happened on my 250 Big Red 3 wheeler - been checking through things but not isolated the cause yet, so any suggestions would be helpful. Electric start stopped working, battery is new and fully charged. Get a green light when I turn on key, so it's in neutral. Sometimes the green light is stronger than others. Do not get any clicking sound and no sparks or response when I jump the solenoid. Wires all appear clean and well connected, and kill switch is in correct position. Starter does nothing when tapping with hammer. Could it be voltage rectifier? Will check all fuses next. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for your expertise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Shadetree, I've been reading your most detailed thread but have not corrected my problem yet. My 97 Honda TRX300 4x2 was running fine the other day working in the yard and then suddenly would not start. I heard the ticking noise coming from the battery/starter solenoid box. I checked everything as mentioned in thread and figured it needed a new battery. I replaced it with a new one and it still just ticked. Bought and installed a new starter solenoid and went to reconnect the battery, red wire first, and when the black wire touched the starter tried to start with the key in off position. I double checked the solenoid connections to be sure wires were correct, but it still tried to start when battery black wire touched post. I unhooked the solenoid and got the same result when black wire touched the battery post. What am I missing? I'm obviously missing something.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: I would say you have the Black (big wire) from the starter motor and the Black (big wire) from the battery mixed up. Check that the Black wire from the Starter Motor goes to the post on the solenoid.

·
Super Moderator
36,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Got it to start by jumping solenoid but pressing the start button does nothing. Is that the switch or solenoid?
neutral light must been on , on the dash, or the electric start will not work, safety feature Honda built into their atvs for the old models. if your neutral light is on, but still won't start by pushing the start button ?, very well can have a bad connection inside the start button contacts.

121 - 140 of 154 Posts