Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the cam chain and tensioner replaced last year on our 250EX. I'm hearing a rattle at idle, but it disappears after you give it gas. I don't see how it could be the cam chain tensioner again---unless it needs adjusting. I just had it serviced. I did read on some other posts, though, that it could be noisy valves. What does everyone think?

·
Registered
383 Posts
check your exhaust hookup in front mine came loose was making a noise.can you tell if at top bottom or back of motor?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Also, check that metal guard bolted to the exhaust. Sometimes they will get loose and rattle.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for both posts---I'll check that.
I just went outside and listened again---I don't hear it when i rev it up a little. And it doesn't always rattle even at idle....I bet it might be that exhaust guard, just like you both said. I'll let you guys know. Thanks...

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
To tell if it's the guard rattling, just press your boot against it when it rattles. If that's what it is, it will quit rattling.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To tell if it's the guard rattling, just press your boot against it when it rattles. If that's what it is, it will quit rattling.
I'll check it tomorrow night after work....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts