Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please assist me with which of these will best fit my application. I really appreciate the input.

Here are my specifics:

Little six acre farm.

80% work and 20% play

4x4 is a must

Will pull a 350 lb. DR field mover up some VERY steep hills that are about 120 feet long

Will pull a 5x8 utility trailer full of tools and/or dirt around our property.

Our property is hilly with some being very steep.

I like the gear shifting system on the handle bars. THe old foot shifter is getting a little old in my old age. Any experience with this?

I realize that the Foreman is air cooled and carborated and the Rancher is water cooled and FI. Owning a carborated and air cooled XR I like the idea of the water cooled and FI Rancher. I am just affaraid that it wont have the power for what I need.

I have sat on the Grizzlies. Being 5 foot 8 the Hondas fit me a lot better.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Welcome to the family... We have some very smart guys on here, they will help you soon.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Not taking anything away from Hondas as i do own one and love it but i also own a 07 700 Grizzly and its hard to beat for towing , working and comfort, like you i am 5'8" also and would not trade it for 2 hondas its a great machine and will out pull any honda out there!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I agree with 69, I don't have a 700, but I own a 660 Grizzly and I like it pretty good. I also own a Foreman, too, though. If I had to pick between the two, I would pick the Grizzly, but the 700 is even better.

As far as the Foreman and the Rancher, I like the Foreman pretty good. If you are set on the FI and water cooled engine, though, then the Rancher is the only choice between the two. The 420 Rancher has about the same horsepower as the 500 Foreman. The 500 Foreman has 26.7 HP and the Rancher 420ES has 26.6 HP. Either one would probably be fine for what you need and both come in the electric shift models.

By the way, the Grizzly 700 has 45.6 HP.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
There's also the rincon if one wanted to stick with honda, but not sure how they compare in performance.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
There's also the rincon if one wanted to stick with honda, but not sure how they compare in performance.
Just so you know, the 680 Rincon has 38.5 HP and has a 3 speed transmission that works similar to an automobile transmission. I've never rode one, but I hear the engine don't hold you back too well when going downhill because they are geared so high. Again, this is just what I've heard. Maybe someone else that's rode one or owns one can tell you more.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a rancher and it will do a great job plus mine starts right up with out hesitation in any weather ( no choke). Bro-n-laws forman never liked cold weather. If your gonna due more towing stick with solid axle. IRS tends to distribute the load on the chassis instead of the axle and tires.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
All depends on what you want to pay. Straight axled quads will probably be cheaper. The grizzlies are beasts, and if you could find a deal one I'd get it. The Rincon will pull pretty much anything the other quads will, but they are geared for the trails, not the farm. If I had a farm and needed a quad to do only farm duties, I'd get a Rubicon. Awesome hauling/ pulling transmission.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
i can't speak for yamaha, as i own a foreman ( old style 4x4 straight axles on front and rear..and it will pull just about anything out there..i know..i have pulled a 500 lb tree trunk around to the curb from a steep back yard..i have pulled a 600 lb block of concrete the same way..and it never missed a beat..alot depends on 4 wheel drive..what kinda tires you have on it ( lug wise )..what shape the atv is in ? ( motor wise )..soo..to each thier own. me..i'm all for honda..i've worked on just about all the bikes out there..and i personaly can say..i have worked more on yamaha's than honda's..keep in mind..these are old school atv's..these newer bikes..well..i can't speak for them. what i can say is..i would stick with honda if it was me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Foreman, i have a rancher and it gets the job done, but the foreman will have the upper edge when hauling and going up hills

·
Registered
934 Posts
We farm over 1000 acres, although most of it is sub leased we still have quite a bit of work that needs to be done. My father in law has a Polaris, not sure what size it is but its HUGE! It is very hard to opperate in tight spots and will wear you out quickly! That thing will pull any loaded tounge pull trailer. When I purchased my 420 ES Rancher I wanted the exact opposite of his MONSTER. The Rancher 420 ES is very effective for everyday use on our facility. I can pull, tow, spray..... just about anything I need to. As long as you use common cense!! Im not going to hook up to a cattle trailer or anything that large!!! Thats why you have a truck!! The power steering could not be more efficient. I am very satisfied with my "Farm use only":wink: 2010 Rancher 4X4 ES!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have a rancher and it will do a great job plus mine starts right up with out hesitation in any weather ( no choke). Bro-n-laws forman never liked cold weather. If your gonna due more towing stick with solid axle. IRS tends to distribute the load on the chassis instead of the axle and tires.
Isn't this what you want? Why would you want to add weight directly to your axles...which are already bearing the torque load from the motor?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Isn't this what you want? Why would you want to add weight directly to your axles...which are already bearing the torque load from the motor?
On a IRS it causes a weight distribution problem the chassis is going to squat more than it needs to and the front end will get lite and you will have problems steering. It is better to distribute the weight over the tires than the chassis. Your center of gravity does not change then.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, when pulling a trailer with a SRA, the weight isn't on the suspension like it would be on an IRS.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
foremans are probably going to be great for you but so will a rancher. The foreman will be a much more powerful bike and will tow your 350lb trailer just fine. My grandpa towed a f250 through the forest on his. The rancher wont do everthing the foreman will but is a little bit more advanced in its features so if you want power foreman and comfort rancher

·
Registered
165 Posts
dont buy yamaha every one i have ever come across was falling apart. everything on them is sloppy good luck getting 1200 hours out of a grizzly. couple riding buddys have raptor 660s and all the gaskets weep oil. another buddy has a foreman with 1400 hours only prob is the clutch wearing out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts