Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain the basic difference in these 2 4x4's I'm trying to buy one that I thought was a rancher then have now learned it's a foreman. It's a 05, 500 4x4 es

·
Registered
141 Posts
The Rancher line is a 350cc powered bike that is slightly smaller than the 500cc powered Foreman line. Both are great utility quads but the Foreman, due to its larger size, is more of a workhorse than the Rancher. The Rancher's make for a pretty good trail bike.
The Foreman with the ES just means that its an electronic shift model. The shift buttons are on the handlebar instead of the foot shift. Just make sure that you drive it and run it through all the gears a few times, the ES models sometimes have gremlins that like to raise their heads from time to time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes, the '05 foreman is a better workhorse than the '05 rancher. Through the years, the rancher lineup has became more of a rec/utility quad. It has been given a 420cc engines, auto transmission, irs, but the foreman lineup is still a larger quad with a 500cc manual transmission, straight rear axle that is truly a utility workhorse.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I know nothing about 4x4's except that I think I need one. I rode/ride motorcycles all my life, just have not messed with 4 wheelers.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
the rancher was always Honda's smaller 4x4 atv more or less, NOT as big overall in both HP, motor cc's and overall size
come in 2016 I have heard that will NO longer be true, all 4x4 Honda's will be on the same frame sized atv's

the rancher came in several motor sizes NOT just 350's by the way
believe it was in 350-400-420's

Ranchers are on average geared higher for more light duty work or trail riding, where as a foreman is geared lower for more work than play, and its larger size helps it do larger work, as some times size just help man handle things better LOL
Both atv's have a good rep for being good reliable long running atv's
the key to buying IF used, is getting one that was taken care of, and thats NOT easy, as far too many sellers are dishonest looking to make as much money as possible more than being truthful
IF you don't know much about atv's. when going to look at possible buys, take some one that does, or you can get burned fast!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yes, I think you need one too. The other differences between the rancher and the foreman is that the foreman has an extra headlight pod on the handlebars and a 12v power plug in where you can plug in and/or charge accessories such as an air compressor or a gps/etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
sabre54
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing