Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, been working on my 07' 420FM foot shift for a while. 9 year old ran her out of gas and left the key on for a few days. Charged the battery and got it started. It threw an FI code but I didn't know what it was at the time?!? Never started again for a month or so. Lost headlights, dash lights & wench, nadda! Was getting fire but no fuel. Jumped from the battery + to the red/black on coil. Got it started with some engine starter. Took off jumper and it continued to run fine. Still no lights anywhere on the bike except for the brake light. After riding about 5 minutes or so, it flashed a faint code, 4 long & 1 quick. Anybody know what this code would be?

It's running good but something is still wrong in the electrical system.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a quick update. Went back out after it sat for about 10 minutes. Would not start :mad: took air filter back off and shot some starter fluid while my son gave it a little gas. Fired up and ran well. Good power, good acceleration. Now the N light, R light and 4x4 light will come on but faint and blink slowly. The FI still flashes 4 long & 1 short except when I'm driving. Then it stays on solid.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just a quick update. Went back out after it sat for about 10 minutes. Would not start :mad: took air filter back off and shot some starter fluid while my son gave it a little gas. Fired up and ran well. Good power, good acceleration. Now the N light, R light and 4x4 light will come on but faint and blink slowly. The FI still flashes 4 long & 1 short except when I'm driving. Then it stays on solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I looked up that 41 code on 23-24 in my book. Talks about the gear position switch of an electric shift Rancher. Mine is an FM foot shift as I stated above. Does it still apply to this bike?

·
Registered
223 Posts
So I looked up that 41 code on 23-24 in my book. Talks about the gear position switch of an electric shift Rancher. Mine is an FM foot shift as I stated above. Does it still apply to this bike?

This part is to tell the dash what gear you are in, maybe check your connections. I need to change this but my bike shows - when in second gear, if I ride in second the computer will lock out the shifting. I can ride all day thru 2 nd without the lockout. Normally ride in 3rd when putting around anyway. Have one on the shelve but waiting till warmer weather to ripe the back cover off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm about to blow this sucker up:). My dash only has a green light for N, red for R. I don't have an LCD display with gear indicator. I'm guessing this would have nothing to do with my trouble starting the machine. I'm going to order a new fuel filter and change that out. I'm thinking when my boy ran it dry and it sat for a few days, it caused some issue in the fuel bowl?!?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm about to blow this sucker up:). My dash only has a green light for N, red for R. I don't have an LCD display with gear indicator. I'm guessing this would have nothing to do with my trouble starting the machine. I'm going to order a new fuel filter and change that out. I'm thinking when my boy ran it dry and it sat for a few days, it caused some issue in the fuel bowl?!?

Back to the basics and a little maintenance, charge battery and load test to eliminate this possibility, check what your bike is charging at. If the tank was run bone dry chance is you might have some crap in the carb. I would pull the drain from the bottom of the card and let fresh fuel run thru. Collect fuel to examine for water and sediment. At this stage see if it runs if not I would clean the carb. Even with no dash your lights need to know n and reverse, I would still check connections but first would focus on getting it running properly and eliminating possible problems.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: Is the Neutral Light on when you are trying to start the bike? If not pull the right brake lever and see with will start -- The gear position switch has to be in working order to start the bike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Back to the basics and a little maintenance, charge battery and load test to eliminate this possibility, check what your bike is charging at. If the tank was run bone dry chance is you might have some crap in the carb. I would pull the drain from the bottom of the card and let fresh fuel run thru. Collect fuel to examine for water and sediment. At this stage see if it runs if not I would clean the carb. Even with no dash your lights need to know n and reverse, I would still check connections but first would focus on getting it running properly and eliminating possible problems.

As stated in post #1, it was run bone dry. This is an efi 420 so I'm pretty sure there's no crap in the carb. I was thinking more like crap in the bottom feed filter. Battery is a glass mat in tip top shape. It was charging in the neighborhood of just under 14v I think as I checked yesterday. I'll pull the fuel pump later this week when my new side mount filter comes in. The bikes an 07' but I bought it new off the showroom floor in June of 08'. I change oil & filter very regularly and keep the air filter clean. I honestly didn't know where the file filter was until I had an issue so it's original.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi: Is the Neutral Light on when you are trying to start the bike? If not pull the right brake lever and see with will start -- The gear position switch has to be in working order to start the bike.

Hey Mel, when I turn on the key, all I hear is the fuel pump. No lights what so ever. It cranks great but is not getting fuel. If I spray starter fluid in the intake and someone else work the throttle, it fires up, runs great and only then will the N or R lights come on. They are faint and blink slowly. I also get the FI code 41. While I'm driving, the FI light stays on solid. If I kill it, it will crank back up but if I let it sit10 minutes or so, I have to go back to the starter fluid?!? I'm not at home to try the brake pull but I don't think I hats the issue of not getting fuel.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Mel, just got home and tried with the right brake, no change.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
If the lights are dim you have an electrical issue, and as Mel said, the gear position switch will keep it from starting. I had an 07 footshift that would start in every gear (brake handle held back) but 1st. Turned out the wire on the gear position switch for 1st gear wasn't making a good connection, so while it would turn over, it wouldn't spark. I redid the connector for that wire and it would start fine in 1st after that.

Point being, while it sounds like a fuel delivery problem, it also sounds like you might have an issue with it initializing.

I would have the battery load tested first, check fuses. If all of that is good, change the fuel filter (probably not a bad idea anyway given the age)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the lights are dim you have an electrical issue, and as Mel said, the gear position switch will keep it from starting. I had an 07 footshift that would start in every gear (brake handle held back) but 1st. Turned out the wire on the gear position switch for 1st gear wasn't making a good connection, so while it would turn over, it wouldn't spark. I redid the connector for that wire and it would start fine in 1st after that.

Point being, while it sounds like a fuel delivery problem, it also sounds like you might have an issue with it initializing.

I would have the battery load tested first, check fuses. If all of that is good, change the fuel filter (probably not a bad idea anyway given the age)
It does spark when in N, just won't start unless I use starter fluid. Just went out and tried to start in N and just turned over strong. Put it in first, hit the starter button then pulled the brake & it started?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just went out and started it in 1st gear with the right hand brake pulled. Still have a 41 FI code. N blinks 4 short & 1 long while running in neutral. R light does the same while in reverse and running. Could be 1 long then 4 short?!? Hard to tell when the pattern starts???

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: Unplug the gear position switch and check for continuity for each gear as you shift the bike with the shift tool.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hi: Unplug the gear position switch and check for continuity for each gear as you shift the bike with the shift tool.
I'll try and locate the gear position switch when I get home this evening. I'm 45 years old. This is a foot shift. I would never have bought an ES:) Didn't have a lot growing up but we always had a dirt bike, 3 or 4 wheeler. If we wanted it to run, we had to maintain or fix whatever was broke. Didn't have money to take it to a shop. This was also long before google or YouTube. I'm okay with mechanical things but absolutely suck at electrical!

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Gear position switch connector is a larger grey connector right under your right butt cheek if you're sitting on the seat. On the right side of the frame. It's a PITA to get apart most of the time too, so take your time. Should be a wire coming out of the back of the motor going to it.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: Here is placement of Gear Position switch --- (Jeep) has posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Jeep, I'll check it out when I get home. I'm really thinking I have a ground issue somewhere?!? I can't think of why else this and the heads& wench all stopped at the same time??? Does anyone know how many and where the ground points are?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts