Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing inconsistent starting with my Rancher ES. It won't start and it appears that the battery is at full strength. When I turn the key, it just clicks back by the switch behind the seat. However, if I tow it in 4th or 5th gear for a short distance (50 yards or so), I can then put it in neutral and it will start fine. It may work for a day or two starting fine but then reverts back to the clicking non-start. Thanks for any help that you can give as it is a working tool in our kennel in Alaska.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Starter? ..

·
Registered
391 Posts
sounds like it try pecking against the starter GENTLY with a small hammer when it refuses to start, if that helps the porblem i would get a starter

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Agree^^ It sounds like a dead spot in the starter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all very much. This is my first time on this site and I am totally impressed at both the speed and usefulness of the responses. Now, I just have to drive into town and get a starter. Thanks again.

·
Registered
195 Posts
make sure you test it first before just buying one. Last thing you want to do is just start throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes, that can get super expensive really fast

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Yea...check the small and inexpensive things first. Your wallet will like that better.

BTW, welcome to the forums JMwood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts