Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am rebuild the top end on my 03 Honda rancher 350 4x4 and was wandering if anyone could give me a few tips. My main question is do I have to take the valves out? Or can I just take the engine head part containing the valves? Anyway any information would be appreciated! It's got a 4" lift and 30" silverbacks on 14" wheels

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I see you started your own thread !..lol. retro fixed ya up on the service manual ( love this guy for posting this for members ), if ya get stumped ?, just ask !, lots of great members here that can help you :).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought I'd upload a couple of photos for you guys to see how she's coming along so far

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Sorry lol I'm a new guy and am not much good with electronics lol

no worries, JUST DON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN ?..OR ITS THE TIME OUT CORNER FOR YOU !..LMFAOOOOOO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So get it tore down today and I've never seen a piston with this many scratch marks, and when I pulled it out both of the oil rings just fell off so I'm definitely glad I decided to rebuild it lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New piston, rings, insert and clips installed, anyone got any suggestions for getting the old seal off?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
New piston, rings, insert and clips installed, anyone got any suggestions for getting the old seal off?

you should have cleaned the old gasket off...BEFORE YOU INSTALLED THE PISTON !..LOL. anyway, I use my old trusty knife, or a razor blade, and scrape them off, be careful not to nick the surface !!!. try not to let any fall down in the bottom ?, I stuff rags in my motors to keep most out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha nah I put all new gaskets, but thanks for the info! I appreciate it man I just got it all back together and found the carburetor pouring out gas so now that's another ordeal I gotta figure out lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry lol I just realized what you meant, I happened to get it off lol but I got everything back together and cranked it up for a second and the carburetor stopped pouring out gas, but unfortunately it sounded like it was idling at full throttle, could this be the valves or what is causing this?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

you should have cleaned the old gasket off...BEFORE YOU INSTALLED THE PISTON !..LOL. anyway, I use my old trusty knife, or a razor blade, and scrape them off, be careful not to nick the surface !!!. try not to let any fall down in the bottom ?, I stuff rags in my motors to keep most out.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Sorry lol I just realized what you meant, I happened to get it off lol but I got everything back together and cranked it up for a second and the carburetor stopped pouring out gas, but unfortunately it sounded like it was idling at full throttle, could this be the valves or what is causing this?

valves have nothing to do with a high idle ?, this is your idle knob, turn the idle down at the bars on the thumb screw, or black knob at the carb. start with the black knob first, this is your main adjustment for idle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts