Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, having more problems with this 09 ES Rancher.

Last ride I lost steering after hitting a bad rut. Talked to the guy I bought it from and apparently one of the tires had been torn off the ATV from an accident, which may be what contributed to my problem.

See this video for the ATV jacked up and the problem. The plate that the shaft goes through is torn all the way around.

https://youtu.be/_defng9vym4

Also, here are 2 pictures I uploaded to Imgur. Rancher Steering Failure - Album on Imgur

I'm not sure what to do. I went and bought a welding unit today, may practice a bit try to square the plate back up and weld it in place.

Any suggestions?

Also, something must be seized or something for this thing to tear like it has. That shouldnt have any lateral force on it, but I'm not sure why it has worked fine these few months and then it gave. If something was seized, I should of had problems earlier, correct? I am worried that the plate being weakened could be a problem in the future involving the frame.

This doesnt include the other problems Im having like the shifting being hit-or-miss and sounding like it could die out at any minute. May be about time to retire the bike?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welding is an art that takes a lot of practice. At the least, you'd need to remove all of the pieces, clean them up, and do a repair. The shaft looks like it has corrosion, and is possibly why it is failing. If so, it will need to be fixed, not just welded back together.
Do the repair right, the first time. I weld every day, and will be the first to tell you that a critical repair is not the place to learn.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What I'm saying is that I'm going to do some practicing, tear it down, and give it a shot. Wanted to see if that would be the right thing to do or if I was SOL.

All of the shaft inspection & repair I can do, welding that plate back right & if it'll hold is where my fixing expertise ends.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
OK do you have insurance on this atv
if SO< I'd do a claim on this, get paid the VALUE of the atv, BUY it back maybe and TRY to save it, if NOT part it out and buy another
this is why we with insurance have insurance

things happen, its an off road sport, and buying USED< you never know what was done or NOT done to an atv

ME personally, I weld, but wouldn;t call myself a pro
on a part that could kill me in a failure, I"D PAY< to have a REAL pro fix it!
better safe than sorry!

that or maybe a used frame could be had and cut out a good one and replace it in this frame?

·
Registered
170 Posts
DAMN!! That had to be a hellva hit. IF you decide to fix this, I would buy a new/used steering shaft. You can get one off ebay for less than $50. I wouldn't trust one that has been compromised/repaired. After getting the new shaft see if you can even get things to line up correctly. There's a fair chance the frame is bent as well. Either the handle bars pushed down hard enough to bend the shaft or the frame was pushed up and bent it. As much stress as the steering bearing sees I don't know if that's the best place to learn how to weld on. It's in a difficult spot for even a skilled welder. Maybe better off getting it prepped to weld and then have a more skilled welder tackle it.

If you're having other issues, it may be time to use as a parts machine and get something different.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
To be honest, It wasnt a hard hit at all, a fairly normal spot with nothing crazy about it. I just noticed I couldnt steer afterwards haha. I think it was screwed up from when the dude I bought it from wrecked it and finally when I went into that mudhole was the killing blow.

I'm leaning towards scrapping it for parts, there are enough other issues with it that this might be what seals the deal.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
if it were mine ( i'd never own a es model period ), but to flip it for cash ?, I would cut the lower steering bearing plate out, and re-weld a used one in from another frame, then ditch that puppy fast !..lol. yes, I can weld pretty good. no way I would ride that like that !, that's begging for a trip to the hospital !!..lol.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
To be honest, It wasnt a hard hit at all, a fairly normal spot with nothing crazy about it. I just noticed I couldnt steer afterwards haha. I think it was screwed up from when the dude I bought it from wrecked it and finally when I went into that mudhole was the killing blow.

I'm leaning towards scrapping it for parts, there are enough other issues with it that this might be what seals the deal.
I think you should take the smart road, and part that puppy out, and get a manual shift !..lol. if you sell it like it is ?, I hope you sell it cheap ?!, AND BE SURE TO TELL THE BUYER ABOUT THAT STEERING PROBLEM !, that's a lawsuit in the waiting..lol.

Reactions: Freedomflyer

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you do decide to fix it, may I recommend strip it and prep it for welding, then visit a welding shop. They are reasonable if you eliminate all the prep work. Not a good place to test your first true welding. I am sure there will be many projects that you will be able to practice on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I personally dont see how that bearing retainer being broken around weld would make you loose steering. The steering stem should still pivot and turn the plate that inner tie rod ends are mounted to. Unless the splines in it are stripped....

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Didn't realize the manual shifts had different steering components.
What you mean? Looks like every non-PS equipped 420 I've seen. What am I missing?

To OP, I would take the front fender off and remove all the a/arms and axle from one side so you can really get at it with a welder. No reason that can't be welded up and be plenty strong.

I would replace that steering shaft. That thing looks shady.

Since you brought up parting it out, I'm looking for 420 front brakes to swap onto an inlaw's 350 Rancher. If you go that route let me know what you want for the brakes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
If you weld on the bike, disconnect anything electronic on the bike. For example, the regulator / rectifier, CDI, electronic dashboard and engine management computer.

Welding generates large voltage transients on the ground side of delicate electronic components that can fry them. It does this through the frame. Be very careful here or you could need more than just steering repairs.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Didn't realize the manual shifts had different steering components.

What you mean? Looks like every non-PS equipped 420 I've seen. What am I missing?

To OP, I would take the front fender off and remove all the a/arms and axle from one side so you can really get at it with a welder. No reason that can't be welded up and be plenty strong.

I would replace that steering shaft. That thing looks shady.

Since you brought up parting it out, I'm looking for 420 front brakes to swap onto an inlaw's 350 Rancher. If you go that route let me know what you want for the brakes.

Read shades posts above mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
If you weld on the bike, disconnect anything electronic on the bike. For example, the regulator / rectifier, CDI, electronic dashboard and engine management computer.

Welding generates large voltage transients on the ground side of delicate electronic components that can fry them. It does this through the frame. Be very careful here or you could need more than just steering repairs.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
You know, I KNOW this, but probably wouldn't have thought about it, and I've got a 500 Foreman that's gonna need some welding on the frame, and I probably wouldn't have thought about it and fried some stuff.

Glad you said that.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Read shades posts above mine

Ha. I get it now.

The guy DID say the thing isn't shifting right, and given shade's "If it's an ES sell it!" tendencies.....

I don't sell ES's. I just convert them to footshifts!

Yeah same lol nothing wrong with the ES Quads once you eliminate the ES part

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.