Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have some tests to run but looks like I will have to replace the regulator or stator. Looks like replacing the regulator is simple if that is the problem but if it turns out to be the stator, how difficult is it to do that or is that something I will have to take it to a mechanic for? Gonna run some tests tonight but just curious to know depending on what I find.

·
Super Moderator
4,998 Posts
Consult the factory service manual, if it's beyond your capabilities then look for further advice/assistance

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I would get some perspective from those that make have done it. Sorry to bother you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You have to pull the rear cover off the motor. I've never tried that with the motor still in the frame on a 420. You will have to pull the drive shaft to get the cover off. You may be able to accomplish it by pulling the swing arm off, but I'd say you are looking at pulling the motor. Don't know what kind of problem you are having but the stator going bad seems like a long shot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tested it last night and it looks like the stator is good. Looking more like the rectifier at this point. Atv is not charging. When the atv is started the voltage drops to 12.5v even with the engine revved up and never goes higher. Battery tested good, stator tested good and fuses are all good. Need to get another tester to check the rectifier. Mine does not have a diode mode.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts