Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently picked up a 2011 420 rancher for cheap, knowing I was in for some problems.

The main problem is that the bike runs great for many hours, starts first time, doesn't bog down, and will continue to do so for sometimes over a week and sometimes not even a day. The problem is it will shut off after leaving it idling or sometimes just wont start when you go to start it in the morning , and when you try to start it, it will crank but not start. Most of the time if you leave it for 10 or 15 minutes it will start right back up...Not a spark issue as it will run on starting fluid...maybe fuel injector relay?

As always any help would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
222 Posts
Clean that fuel filter and get rid of any old gas and check the tank for debris and that you have good flow at the petcock. You can clean the injector as well. Check that you have good flow at the petcock. If you don't have a clean fuel system it will kill your fuel pump...... very soon.
If your bike is at the point where it runs for about 10mins thens cuts off and has trouble then its too late you already need a new fuel pump.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the repsonse,
But this problem definitely seems to be electrical...it will start and run for hours, any rpm range from low to flat out, and not one cough or splatter. Fuel pump and fuel filter has already been changed out prior to me buying it, trying to resolve this very issue...may also be worth noting that the voltage regulator was recently (last 6 months) changed out because it was faulty and not charging the battery. Sensors or fuel injector possibly affected?

· Registered
1,418 Posts
Thanks for the repsonse,
But this problem definitely seems to be electrical...it will start and run for hours, any rpm range from low to flat out, and not one cough or splatter. Fuel pump and fuel filter has already been changed out prior to me buying it, trying to resolve this very issue...may also be worth noting that the voltage regulator was recently (last 6 months) changed out because it was faulty and not charging the battery. Sensors or fuel injector possibly affected?
If electrical, I would try a few simple things such as: a) make sure the ground wire from the battery is firmly connected, because it may be ok at times, vibrate and give you a fit later and b) I would disconnect all electrical connections, especially where work was performed and apply dielectric grease in connections.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know its been a while but I thought I'd post my answer to the problem I was having. When the bike shut down and you turned the key back on you would not hear the fuel pump kick in. I knew it already had a new pump and filter so did some research and concluded it was the fuel pump relay. Replaced that and its been going good ever since.

Thanks everyone for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.