Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Rancher 420 that is not getting fuel. I can spray starter fluid at the breather and it will run. Stated checking sensors per manual. Everything was fine until I checked the continuity from injector to battery. No Continuity.

Manual says to replace PCM with a good one, so I order one.

Plugged new on in, same thing - no continuity.

The fuel pressure is good at the injector. Took the injector, pushed a stick pin through ground wire so I could leave connector plugged in, connected pin to ground - Injector works.

Put injector back in. I can connected battery ground to pin stick in green wire and it will start and run for a second or two.

I don't know how the PCM works, but I assume a sensor or something is keeping it from providing the ground.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
sounds like a bad fuel pump ?, or a blown fuse ?. remove the fuel injector, turn the key on, crank it over, getting fuel from the fuel rail ?. if not ?, then there is something wrong with your fuel pump. the early fuel injector ranchers had a bad problem with defective fuel pumps.

· Registered
223 Posts
I notice my 2008 getting hard seemed to crank fine but to start in the cold I had to cycle the key a couple times and it would start, was thinking pump or filter. I put a new battery in and now the fuel pump sounds much better, your problem sounds different but thought I would share my experience with the same year bike. If you haven't might want to charge your battery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm having similar problems out of mine. I just put a new fuel pump on and it's working fine. Drained the gas tank and cleaned up the petcock. I can almost get the bike to crank when holding my hand over the intake and letting it turn over.. i'm getting voltage (over 12v's) at the injector. Getting spark as it will try to start from time to time with some assitance...Also, i have took the air nozzle and sprayed air directly into the elbow connected to the injector and it will start on the little bit of fuel in the elbow when forced through... i'm going to try and test the injector next.... Any other ideas?

· Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2008 Rancher 420 that is not getting fuel. I can spray starter fluid at the breather and it will run. Stated checking sensors per manual. Everything was fine until I checked the continuity from injector to battery. No Continuity.

The fuel pressure is good at the injector. Took the injector, pushed a stick pin through ground wire so I could leave connector plugged in, connected pin to ground - Injector works.

Put injector back in. I can connected battery ground to pin stick in green wire and it will start and run for a second or two.

I don't know how the PCM works, but I assume a sensor or something is keeping it from providing the ground.

Any suggestions??

Thanks
I am having the same issue. I replaced the fuel pump, injector, and the relay. Getting great fuel pressure to the injector but it will not spit fuel.

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm having similar problems out of mine. I just put a new fuel pump on and it's working fine. Drained the gas tank and cleaned up the petcock. I can almost get the bike to crank when holding my hand over the intake and letting it turn over.. i'm getting voltage (over 12v's) at the injector. Getting spark as it will try to start from time to time with some assitance...Also, i have took the air nozzle and sprayed air directly into the elbow connected to the injector and it will start on the little bit of fuel in the elbow when forced through... i'm going to try and test the injector next.... Any other ideas?
Did you ever figure out the issue. I’m having the same issue now

· Registered
2 Posts

Any suggestions??

Thanks
I but a new pump in an the injector an won't fire up getting gas to it but in going in the injector , put a gas rag in the breather an it starts up so tell me what wrong pl.

· Registered
2 Posts
I but a new pump in an the injector an won't fire up getting gas to it but in going in the injector , put a gas rag in the breather an it starts up so tell me what wrong pl.
[/QUOTE]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.