Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 07 Rancher in pieces; the transmission went out and the previous owner had bought what he said was a 2010 bottom end for the transmission.
He had torn everything apart and that is as far as he went. I bought it and am putting it back together. I rebuilt the motor, rebuilt crankshaft and all. This is not the first one of these motors I have rebuilt.
I can't get it to start, all it will do is backfire. I have another 07 Rancher that I have used to swap parts; I've swapped the throttle body, coil, and computer. Still the only thing it will do is backfire. Now when I have a motor that backfires like this I think about timing issues. I've pulled the front cover and double checked the cam timing and the valve lash.
So looking at partzilla I see the 07-08 flywheel part number is one number and the 09-13 flywheel is a different part number. Same for the stator. I'm beginning to think I have the flywheel and or the stator from the 2010 motor in it and am wondering if the pickup is different.
So my question is does anyone know even though the part numbers are different is there really a difference between the different years parts?

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
yep, the flywheels and stator has to match for that year engine !.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the thing, both motors were apart and in boxes, so I'm not sure which flywheel was which. I looked at them when I put the motor together but didn't remember seeing any differences. A lot of part numbers changed for the 09 model year, not sure that means they aren't interchangeable with the earlier parts.

yep, the flywheels and stator has to match for that year engine !.

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
That's the thing, both motors were apart and in boxes, so I'm not sure which flywheel was which. I looked at them when I put the motor together but didn't remember seeing any differences. A lot of part numbers changed for the 09 model year, not sure that means they aren't interchangeable with the earlier parts.
all I know is, the stator and flywheel must be a matching set, or it wont run right. seems its a trial and error now huh ?..lol.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up on this, finally got time to tear back into it this weekend. The flywheel was the problem. The 2007 and 2008 flywheel is different than the 2009 and up. The timing is 180 degrees different. Put the other flywheel in it and put it back together and it fired right up. So now you know.

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
Follow up on this, finally got time to tear back into it this weekend. The flywheel was the problem. The 2007 and 2008 flywheel is different than the 2009 and up. The timing is 180 degrees different. Put the other flywheel in it and put it back together and it fired right up. So now you know.
ty for the follow up !. sometimes, I hate being right !..lol.

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
hahaha..good to see the site working right ^^^^^, posted once, got two post..stupid.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks for the follow up, Rocketman!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts