Honda ATV Forum banner

Rancher 420 es

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  retro 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Honda rancher 420 es. About a month ago I was riding down the road and all of a sudden the motor died and as it was decreasing speed right when it got around 5mph the back tires locked up(still in gear). Well I pulled it home and let it sit for a week or two because I don't have time to work in it. Pulled it out the other day and it won't crank. I pulled the top end off and everything looks good. I'm getting fuel to injector, I got good compression, the plug is firing as normal, I put new gas in it, I chagred the battery and still won't crank. It'll act like it wants to crank sometimes and but never starts up. It'll backfire occasionally when turning over. Any one have any suggestions??

#2 ·
Im assuming by crank you mean it wont start but does turn over....... Pull the air filter and spray some starting fluid down the hole while turning over. If it fires its a fuel problem.

#7 ·
Turn key on, yellow engine light on upper right side of the display should light up and go out. If there is a stored fault it will blink....This site has the manual for your bike
http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...nual-help/50817-service-manual-downloads.html

SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
SElF·DIAGNOSIS SYSTEM
The PGM-FI system IS equipped with the self-diagnostic system. When any abnormality occurs in the system, the PCMIECM turns
on the MIL and stores a OTC in its erasable memory.
FAil-SAFE FUNCTION
The PGM-FI system is provided with a fail-safe function to secure a minimum running capability even when there is trouble in the
system. When any abnormality is detected by the self·diagnosls function, running capability is maintained by pre-programmed
values in the simulated program map. When any abnormality is detected in the fuel Injector and/or CKP sensor, the fall·safe
function stops the engine to protect it from damage.
MIL Blink Pattern
If the MCS is not avaitable. OTC can be read from the PCMfECM
memory by blink. pattern of the Mil [1].
The number of Mil blinks is equivalent to the main code of the OTC (the
sub code cannot be displayed by the Mil).
The MIL will blink. the current OTC, in case the PCM/ECM detects the
problem at present, when the ignition switch ON or idling. The MIL will
stay ON when driving.
The Mil has two types of blinks, a long blink and short blink. The long
blinking lasts for 1.3 seconds, the short blinking lasts for 0.5 seconds.
One long blink is the equivalent of ten short blinks. For example. when
two long blinks are followed by five short blinks, the Mil is 25 (two long
blinks = 20 blinks, plus five short blinks).
When the PCM/ECM stores more than one OTC, the Mil will indicate
them by blinking in the order from the lowest number 10 highest number.
MIL Check
® ,-c
LI.
'1 .. , ....
When the ignition switch is tumed ON, the Mil will stay on for a few seconds. then go off. If the MIL does not come on. troubleshoot
the MIL circuit (page 4·30).
CURRENT DTC/FREEZE OTC
The DTC is indicated in two ways according to the failure status.
In the case that the PCMIECM detects a problem at present, the Mil will come on and will start to blink as its DTC. It is

#13 ·
It had to jump timing then. Because it has a fairly new top end on it.
You said the wheels locked up when the motor quit.... that sounds like a seized piston, no?

When I take the plug out and turn the motor over it has plenty of air pushing out the hole
Air volume isn't a factor... your lungs can do that too, every bit as well or better. Whether the cylinder can build and hold sufficient pressure is the question. Screw a gauge into the spark plug hole, hold the throttle wide open and crank the motor over with the starter for 5-6 seconds to test the cylinder compression.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.