Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My first post here,
I've looked and looked and can't find any problems which are exactly the same as the ones that I'm currently experiencing.

I've got a problem with my 2007 420ES, It has been standing for 6 months or so.

When the key is turned on, the following is what happens:

N Green light illuminates to show it is in Neutral
Gear icon flashes - this is no pattern, just a constant and steady flashing
The temp and FI lights briefly come on and then go out
The normal noise heard on ignition isn't there, the bike is silent
The bike won't start or even crank.

I'm hoping that this is related to either the Bank Angle Sensor or Shift Angle Sensor, but both of these failing appear to not be symptoms for the above - the bike will not crank at all, and the gear icon is just flashing.
Please help if you can!

Many Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Alex welcome to the forum!
First things first as always on an electric shift is check the battery and if you push the up down gear buttons does it change gears? Do you hear the fuel pump prime?If not run get ya a new battery.

Second, while the bike is off put it in first gear manually then turn the bike oN and use the electric shift to go back to neutral and start up as usual. Let me know if you don't know how to do this.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forums:

When you say gear icon are you referring to the "N" on the display or is it just showing a flashing "-"? Yes definitely test the battery as a first step. If you have a multimeter, use that to check the battery voltage anything at 12.4 or below and the battery needs charging. Sounds like something is preventing the ignition system from activating when you turn the key on, could be a few things, first if you haven't already-disconnect the bank angle sensor connector where it is clipped to the frame under the seat on the left hand side just to check that the pins inside aren't corroded and broken. If that checks out, then under the seat behind the battery compartment are 2 relays clipped in the electronics bay. They're a little hard to reach and they are clipped to the forward wall of the electronics bay. You can easily release the clips by reaching under the bike and pressing the clips out of the slots in the plastic. If I remember correctly the right hand one is the fuel pump relay, try switching the left for the right and then turn on the key and see if you get power to the fuel pump. If so then you have a bad relay. If either of these things don't work there are a few more things you can try. Just let us know. There are a lot of 420 people on here and I'm sure some others will offer you some help as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys,
Thanks so much all for the help. I've followed all advice and nothing fixed the issue - until now, all is sorted! I was convinced that it was likely the bank angle sensor, but isolated that as okay.
I should add some further context here, the quad has been in storage for the last 6 months because someone tried to steal it. Luckily I'd left it in gear and pulled all of the fuses to stop anyone from chancing it, and it seemed to work! However, when said theif was trying to steal it they broke out the ignition barrel and left the socket so essentially just a switch. I've used the quad since this and it was fine, but I've now discovered that the switch is what's at fault here, it isn't making contact properly !
After some messing around I've managed to get her running!!
Thanks so much all for the help, I hope no one else experiences this same problem as it seems to be caused by thieves !
Many thanks
Alex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts