Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all- About 5 years ago I did a rebuild of a blue 300 FW on these pages (called "first build"). Since then I've rebuilt 4 more (Kawasaki Mule, Suzuki King Quad, Rancher 350 ES, and this current Rancher 350). I still lurk but don't really post. When I work on these things I take my time, go slowly and when I don't know what I'm doing, I research a lot before I act. Which brings me to my current problem.

2004 Rancher 350 FM. The story is that the owner's kid sunk it and they pulled it into the weeds and it sat there for nearly 10 years. The price was right ($0), so I took it home. Complete tear-down, cases split. Inner cases and re-used parts cleaned meticulously. Red mud on intake valve; half a cup of red water in crankcase. Valves pitted. Gunk everywhere. Piston seized to cylinder wall. Clutch corroded, etc. So far I've replaced the crank, some inner bearings, camshaft, seals, stator, etc. Bored .40 over, head rebuilt. Put it back together, cranks great, idles fine. Here's the issue when I put it in gear: reverse- works fine; neutral- reverses, first gear-does nothing; 2nd gear-does nothing; 3rd gear- goes forward without issue, but seems to be in a gear higher than 3rd, 4th and fifth gears do nothing, but the machine acts like it wants to go into reverse. I've been into a same-year Rancher before and it went back together fine, but before I tear this thing down again I thought I'd ask the opinion of those with more experience with this machine. Thoughts?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sucks to have to tear it down again, especially that far. Easy enough to bench test the transmission when you put the cases back together. Turn the shafts by hand and work the shifter or put a big screw driver in the back of the shift drum and shift it while you turn the shafts. Should click easly through all the gears.

·
Super Moderator
38,142 Posts
FYI shift drum not down all the way plus had a fork backwards. I must have been tired.
trust me, we all do stupid stuff like this if you work on atvs !..lol. 29 yrs doing this, and i mess up here and there, don't let it get you down !.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was doing just that when I discovered another issue. Not shifting correctly. Detent arm not catching all the way into the groove on the shifter drum cam. Going to play with it today.

·
Super Moderator
38,142 Posts
Yeah I was doing just that when I discovered another issue. Not shifting correctly. Detent arm not catching all the way into the groove on the shifter drum cam. Going to play with it today.
if in doubt ?, rip it all back apart, and start all over, as your tearing it down ?, then you will see where you messed up. the transmissions on these are very simple to put together...then again..they are very easy to not install right too !..lol.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gears look to be in great shape. Drum and forks look good. There is some wobble in the bushings under a couple of free-spinning gears and the bushings look worn. Ordering another transmission off of Ebay and we'll see if I can get it tightened up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI shift drum not down all the way plus had a fork backwards. I must have been tired.
Do you ever take photos when working on your bikes? I didn't for the longest time. One day my wife said " Don't You Have A Camera On Your Phone? How About Using Your $300.00 Go Pro Crap!!! ".This was years ago. Since then any car or truck that comes through my shop the kid I hired just for that job is taking pics of any teardown😁 , However. My son bought himself a 2003 TRX400EX. and That's What brought me to HondaATVforums. it seems the previous owner tore it down to remove the carburetor and didn't have an idea where everything went. Thats why we say" Pictures Lots Of Pictures !" 📸

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, normally I take pictures. I guess I got cocky this time and didn't. Even then I would have remembered except when I sent the cylinder jug to be bored it took 5 weeks, so it sat around mostly in pieces. The machine shop told me that due to the covid mess they couldn't get pistons and only got part of what they ordered when they did get some in. I paid a lot of attention to the transmission as far as cleaning it and reassembling it but I didn't do what I normally do which is I mic the whole thing. I couldn't because my cheap micrometer died so I just put it back in and thought it would work (won't make that mistake again). Now I've ordered a new (and better) micrometer. I played with it for 3 hours trying to get it to shift correctly on the bench and it's better but it still isn't right. It hangs between gears consistently. I can't see the problem aside from a couple of gears that have too much play in them but the micrometer will tell the tale.

·
Super Moderator
38,142 Posts
Do you ever take photos when working on your bikes? I didn't for the longest time. One day my wife said " Don't You Have A Camera On Your Phone? How About Using Your $300.00 Go Pro Crap!!! ".This was years ago. Since then any car or truck that comes through my shop the kid I hired just for that job is taking pics of any teardown😁 , However. My son bought himself a 2003 TRX400EX. and That's What brought me to HondaATVforums. it seems the previous owner tore it down to remove the carburetor and didn't have an idea where everything went. Thats why we say" Pictures Lots Of Pictures !" 📸
haha..love the comment about the go-pro !!. that right there is some funny stuff !.

·
Super Moderator
38,142 Posts
i normally take pic's of my tear downs to post for teaching lessons for newbies. for myself ?, i do not take pics, been doing it so long, most times i know certain models inside out..lol. BUT !!. its always a great idea to take pics of tearing an atv ( or anything for that matter ! ) down. we've all walked away from projects..then weeks/months later come back to it, and wonder what goes where ?!..lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts