Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had to assemble a motor for a rancher that was in parts. Everything seems fine, but the shift indicator is off from the gear shift. The shift motor works, but its off in gears. Sometimes its in neutral and doesnt display a gear, other times the light for neutral is on, but its not in gear.

I assume that the shift angle sensor reads a reluctor that tells it what gear its in?

·
Registered
82 Posts
On the back of the shift drum is a notch
In this notch rides the pin of a switch that the has to be properly pre-positioned to the "N"
side of the switch with the drum in neutral position before assembling engine
Sometimes the switch is faulty and sometimes, if it is not aligned properly during assembly, the pin will get broken off
Also- worst case scenario below, but doubtful as you had engine apart- although not sure how far it was torn down?
The shift drum end spindle (the one with the notch that turns the switch) will break off on these models and will have the symptoms you described as well
There is an upgraded shift drum with thicker end spindle that prevents this
Let me know if you have any questions

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that its probably 180 out of phase. Can you get that rear cover off to adjust the sensor in the frame, or does the motor have to come out?

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can indeed get it off in frame-its a finicky job with close clearancesbut I have done it before
You might need to drop therear swingarm to make it a little easier
Sometime it helps to pull the lower engine mounting bolts so you can lift engine a tiny bit while removing covers
An easy way to checkbefore piulling apart is to check shift switches for continuity as per service manual
Do you have the Honda Factory Service manual?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts