Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would make a cam chain tensioner go bad on a 250EX? A lot of riding? Abuse? just curious. We had it fixed----the shop told us that it had been rode a LOT. I do know that the guy's kids rode it hour after hour after hour (the guy we bought it from ). Thanks for the info...

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
They're spring loaded and the spring just gets weak in them, sometimes.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Its a mecanicial part and is going to wearout eventually.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a mecanicial part and is going to wearout eventually.
Ok. A pretty labor-intensive project, right? The repair shop hit us pretty good with labor charges. Parts weren't bad....labor ended up being around 10-12 hours.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Sounds like you got the shaft maybe a couple hours thats if you don't know what you are doing

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you got the shaft maybe a couple hours thats if you don't know what you are doing
To service and repair two 250EX's:

Parts: $646.34 for 2 rear brake shoes and pads, head cover gasket, cam chain, cam chain tensioner, 4 bearings (2 of them were $52 each), oil, a taillight lens, a battery, spark plugs and a trail map. Labor was $660.00 ---12 hours @ $55/hour. That includes service everything for both quads.

The service mgr said the quad that needed the motor work was a lot of work. Trouble is, they're the only Honda dealer in the area.

Did we get taken to the cleaners?

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
Did you get a Kiss??? wow that's alot of money!! with them being the only honda repair dealer they charcg what they want... Honda here wants 30 suome bucks for brake pads for my quad I go to the Yamaha dealer and get them for 18.95 same brand pad.

One word bro MONOPOLY

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you get a Kiss??? wow that's alot of money!! with them being the only honda repair dealer they charcg what they want... Honda here wants 30 suome bucks for brake pads for my quad I go to the Yamaha dealer and get them for 18.95 same brand pad.

One word bro MONOPOLY
Yeah....sounds like we paid a bit too much...

·
Registered
383 Posts
my honda dealer is 80 bucks an hr hope i dont break anything in the bottom end

1 - 9 of 9 Posts