Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I have a 2006 rubicon with 180 miles on it. I have been riding it most weekends for the last month. I had a problem 2 weeks ago starting it. I backed it out of the garage and it started just fine. I loaded it on the trailer and went to the ATV park. Once there, it would not start. It just made a tapping noise when I hit the start button. We thought it was the battery but it did start (like normal) after it sat for a while.
It did it again yesterday (Sunday). It started fine, backed it out of the garage, and then shut it off. I went to start it and it would not start. It just "tapped" when I hit the start button. I bought a battery charger and charaged the battery. It still did this. It did start approx 10 minutes later.
It seems like a dead battery. I would not think it would start several minutes later if the battery were dead. Could it be the starter?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Make sure your connections are all tight especially on the starter and solenoid. These quads take alot of bumping around and things tend to loosen up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the solenoid back by the battery? Does it sould like the starter? It starts up fine but then won't start. I have to let it sit there for a several minutes before it will start. What will the starter sound like if it is bad? it just makes a tapping sound when it won't start.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I think the solenoid is by the battery im not sure just trace the + terminal from the battery it will lead you to it. I would check the treminals and ALL connections before I'd jump to say the starter or Solenoid are bad, once you do check all connections and find them to be in proper order i would then remove the starter and carry it to your local starter and alternator rebuild guy and let him test it to see if it's good or not. If it checks out ok then I would be inclined to say you may have a bad Solenoid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts