Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, and also wanted to figure out the proper way to shift the shaft drive on my 84 Big Red 200ES.

It is 1 of 2 ways in my mind. The way I have been doing it for the 2 weeks I've owned it is driving in 1st accelerating, let off the throttle, shift to 2nd, once I feel it pop into 2nd I continue accelerating. OR I noticed I can shift gears while accelerating (throttle pushed in), but it seemed like a rough shift.

Didn't know if either way mattered more, just don't want to damage anything from improper shifting.. I'm used to clutches so not having one really throws me off..

Thanks!:funnyhonda:

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Rev it up, let off of the throttle, shift, then once you've completed the shift, apply throttle again.
When you partially raise or lower the shift lever, you are disengaging the mechanical clutch. It will be an easier shift, and better for your 3 wheeler, to not power shift.
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I wanted to verify. Don't plan on riding it a ton, just around the property randomly to do some yard work and such. Oh and to entertain my 5 year old daughter.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Rev it up, let off of the throttle, shift, then once you've completed the shift, apply throttle again.
When you partially raise or lower the shift lever, you are disengaging the mechanical clutch. It will be an easier shift, and better for your 3 wheeler, to not power shift.
Welcome to the forum!

This exactly

If you find the Range and reverse selector does want to ingage, rock the machine..

This also goes for the footshift... Sometimes it can get caught in gear and you need to rock the bike to move the axle...

:smile:

Been riding them for years... they all do it..

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
New to the forum, and also wanted to figure out the proper way to shift the shaft drive on my 84 Big Red 200ES.

It is 1 of 2 ways in my mind. The way I have been doing it for the 2 weeks I've owned it is driving in 1st accelerating, let off the throttle, shift to 2nd, once I feel it pop into 2nd I continue accelerating. OR I noticed I can shift gears while accelerating (throttle pushed in), but it seemed like a rough shift.

Didn't know if either way mattered more, just don't want to damage anything from improper shifting.. I'm used to clutches so not having one really throws me off..

Thanks!:funnyhonda:
you do know by your little yellow guy, your giving the loser sign..right ?, your saying Honda is a loser !..lol. as for shifting ?, throttle, slightly let off on throttle, quickly shift, press throttle again. don't speed shift without letting off on throttle, not good for it !..lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts