Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all. I recently impulse bought a Honda Four trax 250 1987 in pieces....... am having a rough time to be fair putting it back together. If anyone has images of clutch cabling and mounting or in fact any pictures at all !!! that can help me in trying to put this back together it would be awesome,

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
it should look close to this, mind you, this is a trx300fw, but they have the same set-up as the trx250 such as yours.
IMG_0986.JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers @shadetree, I feel stoked for your help and reply having never used a forum before! I am fortunate enough to have the motor intact, I am not sure however of how the cabling is mounted from the steering column to the motor itself. Again new to this but feel any images of this setup may help. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Cheers @shadetree, I feel stoked for your help and reply having never used a forum before! I am fortunate enough to have the motor intact, I am not sure however of how the cabling is mounted from the steering column to the motor itself. Again new to this but feel any images of this setup may help. Cheers
find us over here ---> www.atvhonda.com

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
is your atv a sport or utility model ??.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not to sure to be totally honest. I have managed to get a fine day and take some images. One of the bike itself and the others of where I think I need to attach the clutch cable (if it is infact the clutch cable). Just not to sure on the cable setup to motor I guess.

IMG_20200321_110431.jpg
IMG_20200321_110522.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
ok, that is your reverse cable !! you have an old trx250 fourtrax. 2nd and 3rd pic you posted ^^^, see that lever right behind the foot rest ?, that where it goes !. there is a u-bracket bolted right in front of that wire loom, the end with the threads goes inside the u-bolt bracket, it hooks into the lever, the threads with the nuts on it, go above, and below the bracket, sits inside the bracket. the other end of the cable latches into the reverse lever under the left handle bar brake.

Reactions: Goober

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
oh, and that atv is a semi-auto, means: no clutch lever to change gears !. front right brake lever is hydraulic , left brake lever operates the rear brake through cable, that same lever also operates the reverse !. see that small lever under the left brake lever ?, it has a slot in it, hook the cable ( end that does not have threads ! ), through the bottom of the part that moves, guide the cable over, and through the slot, push the cable into the bracket that is solid, route the cable down along the frame work, along the right side of the frame , when you get to the back side of the right hand side of the motor, go down, and route the cable along that wire loom that follows to the right foot rest, once your at that brass lever, hook the cable into the end of the lever, then pull it back upwards, and slide it into that u-bolt looking bracket, you may or may not need to move the lock nuts and adjusting nuts to get it in between the bracket ?, but it does go there !. once the threaded part is inside the bracket ?, fine tune the adjustments to get the slack out of the cable. if all this goes well ?, on the left handle bar brake lever, there is a button, push it down, when you do this, pull the left brake lever, once you do this, push the gear shifter ( lever in front of left foot rest ) down, you are now in reverse !. this is better done when atv is running !.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
when you want to go back to neutral or 1st ?, you do not need to repeat the process to get into reverse !. just lift up on the lever once from reverse, your now in neutral, lift up again, now your in 1st gear. that atv is a 5 speed, with reverse :).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW.....thanks for the posts!!! Massive help. I am bit by bit crashing my way through this but here (New Zealand) we are on lockdown so its good to have a distraction.
I get the cable position now, in what I have read i think there is a spring missing from where the cable hooks into the reverse latch on the motor ?
Will chuck it on tomorrow and have a go to see. thanks again for the help. Awesome.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
WOW.....thanks for the posts!!! Massive help. I am bit by bit crashing my way through this but here (New Zealand) we are on lockdown so its good to have a distraction.
I get the cable position now, in what I have read i think there is a spring missing from where the cable hooks into the reverse latch on the motor ?
Will chuck it on tomorrow and have a go to see. thanks again for the help. Awesome.
nah, the spring your reading about..or hearing ?, is inside the clutch cover, you can't see it, it returns the lever back to position once you go back to neutral :). and your welcome, you can find help like i'm giving you here --> www.atvhonda.com , thats where i hang, as well as other great members that made this site what it once was.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cheers, the "latch/ lever has no tension is is just floppy so I can only assume the spring on the inside is not attached, I will pull the cover off today and have a look and see what I can. Cheers for the new link will check it out.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
cheers, the "latch/ lever has no tension is is just floppy so I can only assume the spring on the inside is not attached, I will pull the cover off today and have a look and see what I can. Cheers for the new link will check it out.
if that lever does't have any tension on it ?, then yeah, something is wrong behind the cover with the return spring ?, maybe some dummy left it out ?..who knows ??..lol. keep in mind, you may need a new clutch cover gasket when you pull that clutch cover off ?, most times the old gasket always tears !. BE WARNED !!!, when pulling the clutch cover ?, 9 out of 10 times the kick starter shaft will pop out of the engine ?, you can avoid this mess if you clean the shaft, lube it...BEFORE you go prying the cover off ??!!. try to hold the kick starter shaft inwards as your pulling clutch cover. there is a thrust washer on the back end of that kick starter shaft..it can, and has fallen down inside engines !!!..( don't ask !..lets just say in my years of doing this ( 28 yrs )..been there..done that..lol ).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like it going to be an interesting day then tomorrow " was not able to get to it today due to weather". I have a box of pieces that im assuming all have to go on the bike somewhere, if you happen to have an image of what the spring set up inside looks like that would be epic, otherwise I will use my imagination again ha ha.
FYI - took it for its first run today, two front wobbly wheels - will check the knuckles tomorrow. No brakes, No choke , No reverse. But all in all ran smooth.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Sounds like it going to be an interesting day then tomorrow " was not able to get to it today due to weather". I have a box of pieces that im assuming all have to go on the bike somewhere, if you happen to have an image of what the spring set up inside looks like that would be epic, otherwise I will use my imagination again ha ha.
FYI - took it for its first run today, two front wobbly wheels - will check the knuckles tomorrow. No brakes, No choke , No reverse. But all in all ran smooth.
here is a pic of a different motor, but the reverse spring goes together on that lever the very same way !.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
once the cover is off, you may as well pull the pickup screen out, and clean it off. i hope you have another clutch cover gasket handy ?, you will need it !. install the spring for the reverse lever BEFORE you install the new gasket !!.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Spray the bolts, the kicker shaft and the case edge with some penetrating oil—let the oil work overnight if you can. When you get ready to remove the case, gradually apply torque to those bolts, so you don’t snap them off. Don’t use anything to pry the cover off or you may damage the mating surface. There are a couple of guide (spring) pins holding the cover in place. Most times they’re stuck pretty good but you can jostle them a bit with a few light taps with a rubber hammer.
Don’t use any Hondabond on the gasket if you don’t have to, use the guide pins to hold it. These bolts aren’t torqued when they go back on but I would use a little antiseize compound.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts