Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 87 honda 250, 2wd. strong as a horse and was wondering if maybe setting it up with a blade is worth my trouble for pushing snow? I know I know, we got 18" and naturally you start thinking about it. But damn, i spent the better of 4 hours shoveling my driveway by hand. Would pushing snow with a 2wd put too much load on the tranny? Obviously, it depends on the amount of snow, if it's wet or not, etc. We normally get wet snow and it's usually 4-6" max. I live in Missouri and we hardly ever see these kinds of snow accumulations. So what happened this week is a once-in-20 years sort of thing. But am interested in getting my set up, if it is advisable. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
37,188 Posts
I've got an 87 honda 250, 2wd. strong as a horse and was wondering if maybe setting it up with a blade is worth my trouble for pushing snow? I know I know, we got 18" and naturally you start thinking about it. But damn, i spent the better of 4 hours shoveling my driveway by hand. Would pushing snow with a 2wd put too much load on the tranny? Obviously, it depends on the amount of snow, if it's wet or not, etc. We normally get wet snow and it's usually 4-6" max. I live in Missouri and we hardly ever see these kinds of snow accumulations. So what happened this week is a once-in-20 years sort of thing. But am interested in getting my set up, if it is advisable. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
yeah..ya'll got slamed big time..lol..anyway..anything is posb..if you put your mind to it..as for the bike itself pushing the snow..wellll..it can..but you will need chains on your back tires..otherwise..yu'll just spin out..now..what i don't know is...if they make a snow plow set up for that bike ??.lol..thats gonna be your hardest part figureing out..you may have to do some fabing on your own..but it can be done.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
It's not going to plow as good as a 4wd, but you may be able to push some snow with it. I don't think you will have any problem with the tranny, but you may need to put some extra weight on the rear rack to help get a little more traction.

·
Registered
383 Posts
this is what im in the process of doing to my quad.ive got a lawn mower blade and pushtubes just figuring out a mounting bracket.i can get a 3,000 lb winch for $50.so $50 setup for me.gonna put some weights on a chain to put on grab bar to weigh back down and add some tire chains.alot of wet snow i dont think ill be able to move to much.if this dont work ill do donuts til the snows gone.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
My uncle has a fourtrax 250 2wd and a blade for his. He also has chains he puts on the back tires. he uses it to clean his driveway and has no trouble. I used it once to clean snow and had to have my cousin sit on the back for weight but I don't weigh much myself. Its very do-able and it will push snow but it won't push 2 feet of snow.. LOL

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
there was a post on here about someone building one a month or so ago it cant be that hard to do ive seen skid steers use tires they cut in half and bolted to the boom worked real good and didnt hert the asphat

·
Super Moderator
37,188 Posts
like helmut said..he will need some extra weight on the back..the back end on a trx250 is light...and like i said..he'll need chains..or the bike will spin the tires real easy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My uncle has a fourtrax 250 2wd and a blade for his. He also has chains he puts on the back tires. he uses it to clean his driveway and has no trouble. I used it once to clean snow and had to have my cousin sit on the back for weight but I don't weigh much myself. Its very do-able and it will push snow but it won't push 2 feet of snow.. LOL
Cool! A buddy of mine has a blade from his lawnmower. It's about a 36" long blade. I think that's long enough, no? Would it be possible to get some pictures of your uncle's set up? I'd like to see what kind of bracket and blade you guys are using. I'm thinking something is going to have to be fabbed. Also, for the folks who already have blade set ups, what are you guys spending on it? I found a universal blade kit but the damn thing is like $600. hell I can get a nice dual stage blower for that kind of money!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And chains for the rear wheels,....check. I figured anything (4wd or not) is going to need chains. I would only plan on putting chains on the rears since it's 2wd. As for weighting down the back I was thinking of packing snow in a box behind me. I bet I could get 100# of packed snow on the back rack. Thanks for the replies. sounds very feasible and if I get a set up going I will share later on. Hopefully i can get this set up done before the next snow.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Cool! A buddy of mine has a blade from his lawnmower. It's about a 36" long blade. I think that's long enough, no? Would it be possible to get some pictures of your uncle's set up? I'd like to see what kind of bracket and blade you guys are using. I'm thinking something is going to have to be fabbed. Also, for the folks who already have blade set ups, what are you guys spending on it? I found a universal blade kit but the damn thing is like $600. hell I can get a nice dual stage blower for that kind of money!
I can try and get pics of it sometime, He lives an hour and a half away from me so I don't get over there very often. i know he's had it for a long long time and its a manual lift blade. Thats about all I can tell you about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
YES a 250 will plow snow. I moved to Pa from Fl in 2002 and bought a plow for my 1985 TRX 250 2 wheel drive. I have used it every year since then to open my driveway and clear a path out to our animals. It WILL PUSH SNOW My driveway is 75 Ft. long the building I keep the ATV in is at the back end of it. I have opened the door set the blade to a angle and pushed snow 11" deep all the way for 75 ft. with out stopping or losing power. Last year we had 18" of snow and blowing winds I had no problem plowing out to animals but the driveway had 4 1/2' drifts. It took some playing for the two wheel drive to get it open but I was able to do it. I did not run out of power in the drifts but did have trouble spinning even with chains and three 70 lb. tube bags of sand on the back carrier . Other then the drifts I have never found and reason for a four wheel drive although I understand you would have less problems with traction in really deep drifts.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The only thing a 2wd quad will have trouble with on pushing snow is the type of snow, and depth of it, and how level of an area you are plowing. Power isn't really the issue, it's traction, for instance my 4x4 rancher with my 60" blade on it can push a foot of that nice dry fluffy stuff like nothing, I'm usually shifting gears at that point, and having fun making it fly. On the other hand you get even 3-4" of heavy wet crap, or that stuff they plowed into the end of your drive, and I'm putting on my 48" plow to handle it from the extra weight of that stuff, and mix in some ice with that stuff, and I'm stuggling at times to move it, not from lack of power, just the weight of it, and spinning a 4x4 with good aftermarket tires.
I mentioned in another post though about my sons Ozark 250 2wd, and I plow with it sometimes with the 48" with the dry stuff, and it does really good, you just have to plow more often with the 2wd, and keep up with it as it's coming down basically, and not let it get to deep on you. Put a sandbag or two on the rear rack, and give it hell, and have some fun too.
My only advice I can give you is on the size of your blade, meausure the width of your quad, and make sure the blade is wide enough to make a cleared path for both rear wheels to drive on while your pushing, so you don't end up with one back tire in the deep stuff, and get some chains.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I posted a few pictures of the plow I built about 10 years ago for my 350 it's in the Gallery section just search for SNOW or PLOW and yea I say chains are a must.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts