Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dug around the base of this tree, but I could NOT get the rest of the roots with my pick and it was starting to feel like a waste of time so I just decided to grab the Rancher and rip it out. It worked! This Rancher is handy to have around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTWQ7juZBRU

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
haha, that tree din't have any roots

you should try hooking up to some of the tree's here, or shrubs

last summer I tried to pull out a small shrub with my atv, NO go, so went to the truck, 9,000 lbs diesel and wouldn't budge it, and was about 3 inch dia tree only
had to dig all around it about 3 ft down and then was able to work it out with a skid steer, roots were about 15+ ft into the ground and out about 20 ft from the tree's base

TALK about crazy??

but YES ATV's are super handy tools around a home or Farm
gather thats how they got there names, foreman and Rancher

there work tools for a LOT of us, more than toys

but your tree didn;t even challenge that Rancher at all
might have been able to pull that one out with a bicycle I think
you better start eating some wheaties . if you needed an atv for that LOL

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Any loggers here ?
Put a 'roll' on the tree/log .... set your choker, then roll the 'bight' away from the direction of pull. As the choker tightens up and grips the log, it will twist/roll the log/shrub in the direction of pull.
Leave higher stumps and choke as high as possible.
Thanks for your video ..... made me smile !

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
HA HA TREE lol... Bush maybe, NOT A TREE. This was almost like a CNN article on Trump.. Kind of a fish story lol. I could of hooked up my nephews xr 50 dirt bike and yanked that one out lol..

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Macarena Man, I ain't no Logger, but have helped a bunch of them out over the yrs, and cut and de stumped a ton of tree's on many a farms and homes

in the very near future I am going to be knocking down two 50+ yr old cherry tree's, tired of having to work so hard to back trailers into drive way LOL

I plan to cut them at about 8 ft up , so I can try and use leverage from grabbing up high(pushing on with a back how bucket too IF that works)
as its amazing how much easier it is to get stumps out if you can get at them up high!

I always get a kick out of the morons that cut em low, then hook there SO called Bad A$$ truck to them and pull bumpers off or, make ruts and stumps never move LOL

thinking ahead is my suggestion on getting stumps out and tree's down

proper tool for the job is also a good idea when possible !

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
here is more of a tree being pulled, (short stump, buddy cut them before I got there) wasn't possible to pull it out with the old Honda, LOL

even the older Dodge struggled with this one, had to cut a few of the roots to allow it to come out!
its amazing how tight them roots can grow into the ground and HOLD them in!

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
I plan to cut them at about 8 ft up , so I can try and use leverage from grabbing up high(pushing on with a back how bucket too IF that works)
That's how I removed a dozen trees from my yard. I cut mine about 4ft high. But higher would be better. Cut them high and use a backhoe to work them back and forth and they popped right out. I only had 1 stubborn one. I just dug around the base of it about a foot or so and then it came right out.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha, that tree din't have any roots

you should try hooking up to some of the tree's here, or shrubs

last summer I tried to pull out a small shrub with my atv, NO go, so went to the truck, 9,000 lbs diesel and wouldn't budge it, and was about 3 inch dia tree only
had to dig all around it about 3 ft down and then was able to work it out with a skid steer, roots were about 15+ ft into the ground and out about 20 ft from the tree's base

TALK about crazy??

but YES ATV's are super handy tools around a home or Farm
gather thats how they got there names, foreman and Rancher

there work tools for a LOT of us, more than toys

but your tree didn;t even challenge that Rancher at all
might have been able to pull that one out with a bicycle I think
you better start eating some wheaties . if you needed an atv for that LOL
We've got plenty of big trees here too. I'm not new to pulling stumps.

I tugged at this little tree long enough to recognize it was time to be smart. When you're in the business of physical work you quickly learn that it's better to use the right tool than to waste time bent over tugging, pulling, swinging the pick. In this case, the Rancher was the right tool to finish the job quickly, as I had cut the biggest perimeter roots already.

Reactions: Larryw

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HA HA TREE lol... Bush maybe, NOT A TREE. This was almost like a CNN article on Trump.. Kind of a fish story lol. I could of hooked up my nephews xr 50 dirt bike and yanked that one out lol..
Haha! I said it was a "small tree" which it technically is. And yes, I'll bet even your 300 could have pulled it!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any loggers here ?
Put a 'roll' on the tree/log .... set your choker, then roll the 'bight' away from the direction of pull. As the choker tightens up and grips the log, it will twist/roll the log/shrub in the direction of pull.
Leave higher stumps and choke as high as possible.
Thanks for your video ..... made me smile !
You're welcome. I figured somebody would enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Nah, you're all doing it wrong !! Dig a hole under the stump, place about 20lbs of tannerite in hole, retreat to 200 yds and fire .204 at tannerite and throw yourself to the ground as fast as possible........ . Job done !!

There's no charge for this public service bulletin, but I take no responsibility what so ever for any damage or injuries caused :laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Haha! I said it was a "small tree" which it technically is. And yes, I'll bet even your 300 could have pulled it!
Hell ya my 300 has more torque than a 500 Cummins. I dislocated my elbows the last time I pushed the flipper to the bars...

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nah, you're all doing it wrong !! Dig a hole under the stump, place about 20lbs of tannerite in hole, retreat to 200 yds and fire .204 at tannerite and throw yourself to the ground as fast as possible........ . Job done !!

There's no charge for this public service bulletin, but I take no responsibility what so ever for any damage or injuries caused :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Why....have I not done it this way already??? :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hell ya my 300 has more torque than a 500 Cummins. I dislocated my elbows the last time I pushed the flipper to the bars...
I gotta get me a 300! ;)

·
Registered
8,309 Posts

considering I had an explosive lic's for many yrs, TRUST me there are better things that tannerite for removing tree's!
and using a 204
come on try using a .50 bmg with an incendiary tip !( was a class III dealer for a while too HAHA)

I used to have a lot of fun with prima cord, in the past,
and sure beats a chain saw too, even the race saws don't hold a candle to it!

BUT when your tree is close to a building or KIDS< or your neighbor's and zoning doesn't allow!(fines are NO fun to pay)

you have to be a little more quiet on its removal

Plus filling back in the craters can become work too,
just never seem to get back all the dirt that leaves them when things go BOOM!
LOL

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

considering I had an explosive lic's for many yrs, TRUST me there are better things that tannerite for removing tree's!
and using a 204
come on try using a .50 bmg with an incendiary tip !( was a class III dealer for a while too HAHA)

I used to have a lot of fun with prima cord, in the past,
and sure beats a chain saw too, even the race saws don't hold a candle to it!

BUT when your tree is close to a building or KIDS< or your neighbor's and zoning doesn't allow!(fines are NO fun to pay)

you have to be a little more quiet on its removal

Plus filling back in the craters can become work too,
just never seem to get back all the dirt that leaves them when things go BOOM!
LOL
Yes, I AM a fan of Honda. NOT a fan of fines.

·
Registered
172 Posts
How would Houdini remove a tree?

Just theoretically speaking, if one had 5 trees on private property that would be advantageous to be gone, oaks with 18" diameters, and these trees were in a communist regime that charged $10,000 fines for molested trees, what would be the best way for them to "naturally fall over", or perhaps just die? Once they fall over, it is ok to dispose of them via a firewood treatment facility (chainsaw). The regime flies air photos yearly, but the property in question has 43,000 densely growing trees, so they won't necessarily be missed, but it is important that they fall naturally, which I guess means no tractor marks, no chainsawed stump remaining, and not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, though I repeat that this is owner-occupied private property. How would you do this, theoretically speaking?

The area is accessible by pick-up truck and time is not of the essence. This is just a hypothetical discussion, and if these rules and regulations seem similar to those imposed in California it is purely a coincidence.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How would Houdini remove a tree?

Just theoretically speaking, if one had 5 trees on private property that would be advantageous to be gone, oaks with 18" diameters, and these trees were in a communist regime that charged $10,000 fines for molested trees, what would be the best way for them to "naturally fall over", or perhaps just die? Once they fall over, it is ok to dispose of them via a firewood treatment facility (chainsaw). The regime flies air photos yearly, but the property in question has 43,000 densely growing trees, so they won't necessarily be missed, but it is important that they fall naturally, which I guess means no tractor marks, no chainsawed stump remaining, and not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, though I repeat that this is owner-occupied private property. How would you do this, theoretically speaking?

The area is accessible by pick-up truck and time is not of the essence. This is just a hypothetical discussion, and if these rules and regulations seem similar to those imposed in California it is purely a coincidence.
Very valid. Easy fix. Move to Snowflake/Taylor, Arizona. All of those issues instantly vanish.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
You drill a small deep hole angled down into the root system. This is done in an inconspicuous spot .... remove drill shavings.
Commercial grade Round-up is the stuff. Fill the hole .... repeat a few times, wait.
This is just a hypothetical answer to a hypothetical question ...

Or .... as creed82 suggests, move to Snowflake/Taylor, Arizona ....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts