Honda ATV Forum banner

Pulling Hair Out ATC 110 Shift Issue

13K views 30 replies 5 participants last post by  shadetree 
#1 ·
Hello, new to this forum but not Honda’s. I have a 83 ATC 110 that I have had a shifting problem. The issue is as follows: if the clutch cover is off I can shift thru all the gears smooth as silk. I put the clutch cover back on and I can not shift. I have a service manual and the parts are in correct order and the clutch is adjusted correctly as well. I have read many other post on correct clutch adjustment. Nothing appears bent or broke. I have had the cover off a dozen times now with the same outcome.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
does the cover have a gasket on It ?. if so ?, something tells me your not adjusting the clutch right ?. are all the parts oem ?. why do I get the feeling those shifting part sitting on the clutch pack don't look oem ?.

#7 ·
40 something views, and no one stopped to help this member ?..lol. goes to show ya, not many here know anything about very old school honda atcs !..lol.

Reactions: _Wilson_
#8 ·
first post, second pic, why is there so much wear on the metal ball part from the spring ?..looks too shiny..like...too much pressure too me ?.

#15 ·
I will post Pics of the inside of the cover. Yes I have a new gasket. Not sure on the Thrust washer. This case had never been opened until I opened it to sort the original shifting issue. I had to split the case due to the fact that the shift drums were stuck from no use and water in the case. I fixed the transmission problem. The gears all shift perfectly, smooth as silk....until the side cover is back on. All the parts appear original and match up to the OEM drawings.

#20 ·
back the clutch adjusting bolt off all the way, install the cover on LIGHTLY !, do not tighten down any of the cover bolts, with the atc off the ground ( rear wheels ), spin them, shift through all gears, see if it shifts ?. if so ?, then tighten down the cover bolts SLOWLY ONE AT A TIME , going criss cross pattern, like you would do a car wheel, keep checking the shifting as you do this. everything I see in your pics that you posted looks ok to me ?, other than you have not posted the side cover pic ?. unless you installed something wrong inside the motor ?, I don't know what the problem is..without having my eyes and hands on it ??. :).

#19 ·
the motor does not have to be running ?, but you do have to spin the rear wheels a tad to get the tranny to move/shift to another gear, just turn the wheels as you shift.

#21 ·
Well running it wont shift either.I am very out of ideas.Everything has been checked and checked again.Clutch was taken apart and cleaned.Everything is in the correct place. I put the cover back on at lunch with gasket,added oil,fired it up and nothing.Take cover back off and shifts fine.Have adjusted clutch to both ends just checking,loose,tight,etc...

Attachments

#24 ·
I checked all the parts on fich, and it looks like he has it back together right to me ?. what I wanted to ask him on the phone !..lol..if you look at his first pics he posted, look in the top left corner, at the star wheel, behind the tranny gear, see the very top left corner tip ?, it looks like its sheared off too me ?, what you think ?.

#26 ·
The star wheel isnt sheared off. The picture is just weird looking...and if it was theoretically, it should still shift into 1st and 2nd. I am about ready to use it for target practice...not really... but it is really frustrating at this point. It runs like a champ now. I split the cases and did a complete rebuild of everything. I have been doing this for quite some time and am very mechanically inclined..this is the first one that has ever rattled my cage.

#27 ·
Just got off the phone with Shadetree, Great guy by the way. Step back and look at the little stuff!!! We are thinking that the gasket is too thin and when the side cover gets cranked down...no shift due to binding of the shaft. Makes perfect sense to me. The gasket kit was not OEM, my bad. I bet he nailed it on the head. I will loosen the cover and check after work.

#28 ·
FIXED..well after loosening all the clutch cover screws, I noticed that the cover would push out when I tried to engage the gears..so the inner clutch ended up being bound by years of gunk and kept the clutch from moving in. The clutch is suppose to move in a small amount when pressure from the shifter is applied. Mine would not move in,hence the problem with not engaging the gears.I did take the clutch apart 50 percent of the way originally, but obviously the problem was deeper into the workings of the mechanism.

#29 ·
glad ya got it fixed !. was a pleasure speaking with ya !. two heads are always better than one !..lol. and thanks for the kind words ! :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.