Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what you guys take with you on rides as far as protection goes such as guns, knives and so on and if so what and how do you carry them with you..

I have a cheap 9mm that I keep holstered on my hip and a large machete behind the seat.. The 9mm was an anniversary present from my wife this year.. Before I only took the machete.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I keep a Machete in my rear box. I as well have a .12 gauge with me too. Where I usually am, there are very large Grizzly Bears, Black Bears, Cougars & Wolves....

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I don't carry anything as I'd be breaking some hardcore laws here in the UK! If I could I would be opting for wheelers choice, a 12 gauge.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
well, I carry a gun about 99% of every where I go, on atv or not
SO, like all things , there is a better tool for each job time and place, as well as how to carry it

On ATv's and sleds, I have been carrying one of my Glocks since they pretty much came out!
there a LOW maintenance gun, and they just plain WORK,when ever asked to, or all of the 1-2-3 gen's have, and I sold about 8,000, and never had anyone have any issue's with them
(I did have one blow up, but that was shooting double charged loads and still took about 100 rounds before she came blew a hole in the frame, reloads and didn/t know HOT hot they were, and Glock gave me a brand new gun, told me they never had one come apart like mine did LOL)
in my younger days and when we mud road, we used to wash them in sinks in the shop, soapy water and hose if outside?
dry, oil and good to go again
I also carried my 10 mm Glock when in AK , on drop hunts, FULL bore ammo, and two extra mags
maybe light for a big bear, but can dump a bunch of rounds with close to a 41 mag energy!, and again, NO worries about dirt or crap and it working!

I have carried using many different belt holders to vest velcro mounted one's, tactical one's are nice as well(side of thigh)
it all comes down to what fits you best

carrying some of my compact 1911's that I have TOO much dumb money in, I have carried using a fanny pack to keep cleaner when on trails and well NOT stick out as a gun toting nut,as some folks view those that carry?

I have also carried a AR, with a sling that holds it where I like(to each there own here)

I refuse to use any darn GUN holder on an atv, I see them beat guns up way too much from vibrations

I have also carried snort barre shotguns, or one's with folding stocks(my M1 super 90 was sweet for this)

but I prefer a handgun 99% of the time unless I am actually hunting something, and then back to the tool for the job I like best!

in heavy bear country, I think I would be carrying pepper spray on my belt along with a gun
a bear can easily knock you off an atv, or if being chased by one, can be a NON lethal way to get it off you!
I have had thousands of encounters with bears over the yrs, and never had an aggressive one yet, and I have been in dens with mothers with cubs
they have ALL wanted to get away from me/us

but I am positive it ONLY takes ONE to change things there!
the critter I have most concerns with are HUMANS., dope heads and ???
I have had a few Bad encounters with a few over the yrs, put several in hand cuffs( I carry them in my truck) and held a few at gun point till police came and arrested them

people can be way more dangerous than wildlife IMO!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I EDC an XD Mod.2 .45ACP so I always take it with me in the woods and I always carry a back pack with a Benchmade fixed blade knife and a tactical hatchet. I've always been a believer in being overly prepared as opposed to being under prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Oh how I only wish I could carry my handgun with me!!!!! Canadian gun laws suck! I totally agree MRBB!!!! I own a Glock G22 Gen4 & she always goes bang!!! Can't say enough good about them!

·
Super Moderator
4,389 Posts
I just in general dont trust pretty much anyone. So anytime we go riding we all carry. And 99% of the time i have my ruger lcp 2 in my pocket with me. If anyone ever goes to a place we ride thinking they are gunna rob some people riding in the woods they have a heck of a surprise coming there way. I always buy a cheaper price point gun that way i dont really lose any sleep over it getting wet or muddy or beat up. Didnt realize though that other countries were so strick on conceal carry. USA ftw! Haha

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I bought a high point 9MM to have it strapped to my front rack lol. Its been in mud, bugs, rain, slop, snow and ice and (#(#t. And it goes bang every time.. And when you run out of bullets its heavy enough to beat the #(#t out of just about anything. I beat my old winch with it the day it died and got a few extra turns out of it lol.. Its not a carry gun but its trusty lol. It even beat a FN 509 in military arms channel you tube torture test.. I have had my rifles on my wheeler during deer season. My 30-06 or my AR. I use to bird hunt when I was younger and had a 20 gauge single with me all the time.. Always have a knife in the back just encase I need a toad stabber for wiring or tire plugs or have to spend the night out or some stupid thing!!

·
Super Moderator
4,389 Posts
Now i must be alone on this but my hi point never worked right. It was a clunky miss feeding and miss ejecting nightmare. It would make a good brick to throw if you were out of ammo though. Sad thing is they are made in mansfield ohio which is about a half hour from where i live. And they say they are lifetime guranteed bit when i sent it in they said you never cleaned this gun and thats why it was messing up. I didnt put more then 200 rounds through it. I asked do i need to clean it after every bullet goes through it or what? That was the last time they said a word to me. Really dissapointing.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
being I sold guns for a long time, I sold many HI points, some worked rest didn;t, was pick of the liter like deal with MOST NOT working
I get the cheap gun, but IF my life is on the line cheap isn;t where I want to have a weapon
I have beat the heck out of Glocks,(I have hammered nails with mine, run it over with my truck a few times,and I can recall once when a very annoying REGULAR customer was driving me nuts I threw it at him(emptied it first) IT sent the idiot the message though LOL
I have seen more crazy things with guns than you all might imagine and Glocks get my vote for being reliable and decent accurate and feel!
its rather funny, NOW< looking back, but every other gun maker BASHED Glock(all but HK) for making PLASTIC guns, yet they ALL make them and they pretty much took over the hand gun world in what guns are made out of today!
I wish they came out with one like the new USA military gun requirements are, a external safety, and would even love one with a hammer, and they JUST might release this soon!

But you can get police trade in's rather cheap, NOT much more than a HI point and 1,000 times better quality built gun, and will slave off rust 100 times longer too!
the funny thing, is there carbine rifles, are awesome cheap guns, sold countless amounts of them and they all worked excellent, make a great atv gun too, maybe one more folks can actually HIT things with LOL (most folks ain't that great with a handgun, if there pride would allow them to admit so!

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Machete in rear box ....... 1956 Model 94 - 30-30
Anyone else have a G-bear bite the handgrip on their quad?
HAHA< NOT fair I don't have grizzly bears here , so that';s like cheating! HAHA
But I do have a 1949 30/30 in great shape 70+% original blue? SO> I beat you there MAYBE LOL

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 9mm is a High Point also and so far I haven't had any issues with it firing, but I have heard many stories on the con side of things about them. For me it came down to price and at the time was as much as I could afford haha. I am however saving money to try and upgrade, so hopefully in the future I can get something better. It is also the gun I holster with me everywhere I go.. I live in an area covered with drug addicts and thieves and so on, so I also don't trust anyone haha.

I didn't know about the gun laws in the UK and Canada, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't pack my gun with me when I went out hehe..

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I didn't know about the gun laws in the UK and Canada, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't pack my gun with me when I went out .....
Canada ..... we pack 'long arms' all the time. Have packed a pistol legally (minimum .41 cal.) while prospecting, but it's not the best choice for 'big' bears. Short pump action 12 bore is superior ... The interior British Columbia G-bears are of a predatory nature.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I keep a Machete in my rear box. I as well have a .12 gauge with me too. Where I usually am, there are very large Grizzly Bears, Black Bears, Cougars & Wolves....
Machete in the trunk, fixed blade on my hip, and i always take the handy dandy (b***h) Remington 870 mag, with ether turkey load OR 3 1/2 inch water fowl , don't have bears here, but we have ,ground hogs armadillos, coyotes. And wild hogs , never had a run in with them, but i hear people say there a very aggressive, just like to be prepared, I'll be getting a hand gun soon, great topic OP!

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Machete in the trunk, fixed blade on my hip, and i always take the handy dandy (b***h) Remington 870 mag, with ether turkey load OR 3 1/2 inch water fowl , don't have bears here, but we have ,ground hogs armadillos, coyotes. And wild hogs , never had a run in with them, but i hear people say there a very aggressive, just like to be prepared, I'll be getting a hand gun soon, great topic OP!
410 shotguns make great hand guns with pistol grips and a shortened barrel, great in a magnum with lead slugs. Not sure if this would be up to stopping a hog/pig though? I hear they're tough critters?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Uh hu I've looked into those, but 410 are rare around here, I've got a good friend that runs a well known pawn shop, i go in a lot never have seen a 410 on the racks, but YEAH I'd love to have one, i bet a buck shot would do some serious damage, lol I've never shot a lead sud out of the 870 mag yet, I'll def look into that Sam, thanks! I'll say this, if i ever run into one (wild hog) i plan to dismember it! :grin

·
Registered
80 Posts

We have a large hog population as well so when I'm in the woods I don't run my hollow points out of my .45 ACP. Instead I run hard cast Buffalo Bore ammo for increased penetration. It's a hot load and actually good for stoping bears as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
a 410 is a OK round for self defense if things are up close and personal, but it looses energy FAST, all the more so on the shorter barrel hand guns it comes in, not to mention recoil on them isn't always nice either, many are in derringer type handguns(the Taurus revolver is MUCH better) if going that route
BUT when you take a shot gun and CUT the barrel back, here in the USA Things can get Illegal fast, on shotguns, the barrels MUST be 18 inches or longer, or they will be classified as a short barreled weapon, and that will require it being registered as a class 3 like item(same paperwork as for a class 3 weapon) and that then also can NOT be legal period in some states in the USA

the shorter the barrel the less energy the round will make, that is why it works WAY better in a standard like shotgun of a 26-30 inch barrel length, and NOT in sum small handguns, were it never MAKES as much energy period or speed, and well falls fast on energy as well/
like I said, NOT bashing this caliber, but honestly there are better tools for the jobs it can do! IMO
a 410 hand gun with bird shot, is a GOOD choice for snakes? IMO
after that, in a hand gun, I'd rather it be a .45 colt in the chamber of it!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
We have them here in the northern part of muary county, they are very destructive to crop land, i don't have them on my land as of yet, but/when they come, they arnt staying! Have a friend those goes wild hog hunting, he's told me its pretty good eating........i plan on a hand gun, but I've always liked a scatter gun, thanks for the info guys.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts