Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have been looking at a 2in lift for my 2014 rancher, i know that the ride will be a little rougher but will it benifit me if i get one?

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
a lit?? lets see pro's
as its a shorter list, allows for larger tires, and can lIFT the body up higher
and I gather to many folks juuks better, so apperance!
CON's
effects reliablity of atv in general, adds stress to drivetrain due to angles, and then IF you add in larger heavier tires, even more stress on things, like,brakes, suspension, tir rods, axles and so on raised center of gravity, which can effect safety!(same with less braking power with larger tires)
then the power loss issue's of larger tires(not saying a lift will cause this, BUT few folks lift and DON"T add larger tires, so?? including here LOL

I guess this can be a plus/pro
larger tires and a lift can get you thru deeper things, and into places a stock atv MIGHT NOT get to

CON"S< this same new ability can get you stucka LOT deepr and farther off into no where LOL
making recover harder LOL
HEY, atv's are more or less toys, for fun
so, if you like what ever and have the coin to play, enjoy!
just don't cry when things break
fun many times comes with hidden prices LOL

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Some 420's have had rear drive shaft issues with 2" lifts, I don't know if Honda has changed anything since. Lifts really don't hurt anything, what causes most of the problems they get the rap for is the tires people put on afterwards.

And speakers are for loosers.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I put a 2 inch lift on my 2013 Honda foreman and I've only put about 400 miles since I got the lift and I'm running 26 inch excutioners which are only a inch bigger than stock so not adding to much weight which has probably saved me some money with stuff breaking .
The pros:
Increased ground clearance
Raises airintake so you can go deeper
Lifts body up for bigger tires
Makes the bike just look mean

Cons:
Puts stress on stuff
Increases chance for rollover
Makes shocks stiffer
Putting it on is a pain in the a$$ putting it on

But overall I think it's a good idea if your into mudding.
I don't have boss speakers but I have bought stuff from the company in the past and I personally have been looking at some atv speakers and I'm probably going to get boss speakers

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you need a lift, guess it might be worth the wear & tear. If you don't need one, why bother with the wear & tear?

Most of the "haters" just have experience with fixing the damage caused by the big tires & over flexed CV joints & boots.

If you traverse hills the lift will raise your center of gravity, making it top heavy and much easier cause a roll over. Broken backs & necks are bad news.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Why is a CON being called a hater, if its a actual Con ?
just facts, not made up things.
I don't hate lifts or atv's that are driven like boats or frogs in the mud LOL
I just don't do it any more.
said many times, its actually guys that do these things that advance our sport, there needed to do so.
I just don't have the extra cash to spend on the wear and tear and well Oop's that can happen playing in the deep, be it mud or water, or heck oop's can happen anywhere, , just maybe a lower doing what I do, as to what some other do.
no hate here at all, enjoy what you like.
but I will point out pro's and con's if asked, based on experience and knowledge I have.its not hate, just my 2 cents LOL

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
a lit?? lets see pro's
as its a shorter list, allows for larger tires, and can lIFT the body up higher
and I gather to many folks juuks better, so apperance!
CON's
effects reliablity of atv in general, adds stress to drivetrain due to angles, and then IF you add in larger heavier tires, even more stress on things, like,brakes, suspension, tir rods, axles and so on raised center of gravity, which can effect safety!(same with less braking power with larger tires)
then the power loss issue's of larger tires(not saying a lift will cause this, BUT few folks lift and DON"T add larger tires, so?? including here LOL

I guess this can be a plus/pro
larger tires and a lift can get you thru deeper things, and into places a stock atv MIGHT NOT get to

CON"S< this same new ability can get you stucka LOT deepr and farther off into no where LOL
making recover harder LOL
HEY, atv's are more or less toys, for fun
so, if you like what ever and have the coin to play, enjoy!
just don't cry when things break
fun many times comes with hidden prices LOL
Well said....good logic.

·
Premium Member
12,665 Posts
My thoughts of who a hater is : it's the major majority of those that say "I wouldn't never put a lift kit on my bike " , most are saying that based on hear say from others and not personal experience as they just told you I would never put a lift kit on my bike , they have seen the problems it makes , but they never experienced the advantage 2" of lift and 2" of tires and can make -------or their personal belief that either financially or mechanically "they" don't need it , so why should you --------- they will tell you to "Walk this way " but never did the walk themselves , only heard about it or seen it on someones else bike but never did it themselves to see what really caused it , you have to add in the "Fool Fact " , most people that get a lift kit and bigger tires are going to act a fool , that's why they are doing it cause they can't act enough a fool with what they got ----- if I want to run 27"s instead of 25's and a lift kit to make it work is going to make the ball joints , cv joints and bearings wear out quicker , I'm ok with it cause that is the price you pay if you want to play , how's it go " no pain , no gain " and " to each his own"

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
My thoughts of who a hater is : it's the major majority of those that say "I wouldn't never put a lift kit on my bike " , most are saying that based on hear say from others and not personal experience as they just told you I would never put a lift kit on my bike , they have seen the problems it makes , but they never experienced the advantage 2" of lift and 2" of tires and can make -------or their personal belief that either financially or mechanically "they" don't need it , so why should you --------- they will tell you to "Walk this way " but never did the walk themselves , only heard about it or seen it on someones else bike but never did it themselves to see what really caused it , you have to add in the "Fool Fact " , most people that get a lift kit and bigger tires are going to act a fool , that's why they are doing it cause they can't act enough a fool with what they got ----- if I want to run 27"s instead of 25's and a lift kit to make it work is going to make the ball joints , cv joints and bearings wear out quicker , I'm ok with it cause that is the price you pay if you want to play , how's it go " no pain , no gain " and " to each his own"
I agree with you, folks that never been there done that, many times miss the pro's of rthings
I have a lift on mine, its just an inch I think, been on it since 1999, and have 1 inch larger tires LOL
but man I lifted a ton of jeeps truck and such, from mild to all the way to full blown monster truck car crusher, that went on a tour across the USA LOL
I have nothing against lifts or folks that do so, but I am sure I have paid for the fun they provide in many ways over the ysr LOL
but as you say, fun and hobbies all come with a price, , NOT willing to pay, then don't play with certian things that's all, no point in hating those that do then

life is too short to be hating any how if you ask me??

·
Registered
118 Posts
well fish fly since you defined a hater as somebody that never been there and done it well that's were your wrong I put a 2in kit on my 500 foreman after 8 hrs in the woods that night went down in my garage to clean up quad hmmm what did I find a puddle of oil coming out of rear pilot shaft seal gone we are just trying to help people with there choice to use or not so they don't make the same mistake I did rethink next time you use hater as your definition good luck to ya:r_c:

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
well fish fly since you defined a hater as somebody that never been there and done it well that's were your wrong I put a 2in kit on my 500 foreman after 8 hrs in the woods that night went down in my garage to clean up quad hmmm what did I find a puddle of oil coming out of rear pilot shaft seal gone we are just trying to help people with there choice to use or not so they don't make the same mistake I did rethink next time you use hater as your definition good luck to ya:r_c:
Just like I've said in the past, a lot of the 420's and 2012+ 500 Foreman's have had rear driveshaft issues with 2" lifts. But it's important to know that this is NOT the norm at all for every machine out there. Would I install a lift on one? Probably not. There is more then one way to fit larger tires, which is the only true way to gain GC on an SRA anyway.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
QUOTE=D.ROSE.PHMS;418584]well fish fly since you defined a hater as somebody that never been there and done it well that's were your wrong I put a 2in kit on my 500 foreman after 8 hrs in the woods that night went down in my garage to clean up quad hmmm what did I find a puddle of oil coming out of rear pilot shaft seal gone we are just trying to help people with there choice to use or not so they don't make the same mistake I did rethink next time you use hater as your definition good luck to ya:r_c:[/QUOTE]

Since he posted before you his post OBVIOUSLY was not referring to you.Maybe you need the reality check. Lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Like everyone has said before it adds stress on all kinds of things. But then again so does plowing snow, pulling a trailer or pretty much any other thing you do with the machine. As I've said for a long time, if you dont want to fix it then hang the keys on the wall. Everything wears out over time, its just a question of how long (or short) do you want that time frame to be? Not hating on anyone here but I've found that a lot of people on here have more bad than good to say about lift's and mud and such, which is fine (to each their own). I mud ride, thats pretty much all I do. Some trails here and there and the occasional pavement trip. Mud is where my machine lives pretty much though and I understand and accept the consequences of such lifestyle. Its all up to you. If you're like me and like putting things up in the air and bigger tires then heck yeah, go for it. If you're worried about parts breaking more frequently then I would say to shy away from it. In the end it's your machine to do with what you want no matter what anyone else says or thinks. Have fun and always be safe.

·
Premium Member
12,665 Posts
dr-rosey is it , maybe I am ""throwed off" on that one , I have wondered what the pms is all about --------I read where you got a whole 8 hours of 2 inch lift kit experience to share with us and I am sorry for you that it was all bad for you , as stated your problem might be what your riding , I don't have one of them and doubt I ever will ----- come ride with us today on the most reliable ATV Honda ever made , going to be nice , they are predicting 70 + degrees , right now at 2:00 am it is 58 , just letting you know that cause we are able to ride 50 weekends a year , looks like 6 of my 300's will be riding today , say about 3 hours each , thats 18 hours riding time , thats more than double your bad experience day in a day , they all got 2 inch lift kits and I doubt it very seriously that any lift kit , big tire related break downs will occur , I should have never said that "knock on wood " , in the past year I have change a couple of tie rod ends that broke , stump jumping more the cause than lift , and on bikes that are 15-20 years old that ain't bad -------- in todays society I think I have the term right , if you don't like what someone does and what they are doing is not illegal or a sin and you voice badly on it , no matter how stupid you may feel that what they are doing is , then to me that person is a hater " live and let live "

1 - 17 of 17 Posts