Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I find myself as an “accidental farmer” and probably the only farmer in the world that doesn’t own a quad to boot. That situation needs to change and change fast.

So I start to do a bit of research (yes it was me that has been lurking on the forum for the last few weeks) and it seems that the general consensus is that Honda make the best quads and that as I’m looking for something that is reliable, low cost, low maintenance the TRX300 would be ideal. Added that I’m used to 1990’s Honda technology (previous owned Honda MTX and CRF230 trail bikes).

I’m always bit weary of buying a 20 year old bike and paying top dollar for it. I’ve previously had motorbike projects where I have bought two or three rough ones and make one good one out of it (and made a few quid along the way), so decided that this is the way to go again.

So, “Project TRX300” is born. Or at least will be born when I actually buy one.

To be continued..........

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I start looking around, it seems that the only ones on the market are for sale for silly money.
I spot one at a local auction; a TRX300FW with a seized engine. I might be able to pick it up cheaply. Wrong. It sells for 600GBP / 745USD. Where are all those bargains when you have cash to buy? There seem to be plenty around when your plain broke!

The heat from the money burning in my pocket is so intense that I think that I might need a skin graft soon. I spot another one. It is over two hours drive away and has a high reserve, but I’m desperate to start Project TRX300.

It is being sold as spares n repairs with an engine only running with the aid of easy start. So I’m thinking at best it is a blocked carb, at worse it needs a top end overhaul. That is something that I can handle. Cosmetically it is rough. Oh and it is being sold as a 4wd, when it is obvious that it is a 2wd. So I stick a bid on it and wait.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

I'm based on the English / Welsh border.

300 is a good farm bike, but the 400/450 Foreman is better....I'd add that to your search as well.
At the end of the project I'm hoping to have a very good mechanically bike, but having spent no more than 1500GBP/1800USD, so I think that a 400 / 420 would be out of my budget.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My phone rattles with the message “You won! Honda Big Red 300”. So, I’m the winning bidder at 500GBP / 620USD. If it is a quick fix, I might be quids in on it. So I go and pick up the quad and there are a number of things that are wrong with it that haven’t been listed; there is no way to test if the gears will engage, the brakes are shot as is the exhaust silencer and there is an obvious top end oil leak. Added to the fact that I know that it is virtually a non-runner. Then I hear that famous phrase of “it was sold as seen, mate”. So I negotiate a 50GBP / 62USD reduction, but still leave with a feeling that I have been shafted......

So I get it home and give it a quick once over. Have a look at the dipstick, the engine oil looks well used, but no signs of metal, water or anything else has been in the engine. Take the filler cap off the rear diff, again no obvious signs of diff or bearing meltdown. Maybe it isn’t that bad after all.
Then I look further. The gear lever is loose on the shaft and therefore won’t engage the gear. Hopefully the bolt hasn’t been conveniently loosened so that I wasn’t able to test the gearbox. No feel whatsoever from the front brakes and the back brake pedal won’t move. At the same time the bike won’t move along easily. Hopefully it is a seized back brake rather than a drive shaft issue. A quick visual of the chassis gives the impression that the history of the quad is that it is a case of it being well used rather than abused.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,286 Posts
you got to start some where , judging from the front mud flares and exhaust , I'd guess 88-92 , do you know the model year , if not then what is the 10th digit of the vin number , it is a letter

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you got to start some where , judging from the front mud flares and exhaust , I'd guess 88-92 , do you know the model year , if not then what is the 10th digit of the vin number , it is a letter
I pretty much made the assumption that it was one of the earlier TRX300's.
I haven't checked the VIN number yet. In fact, I made yet another rookie mistake when I collected it - I didn't even check to make sure that the VIN number hadn't been removed from the frame and engine :-(

·
Premium Member
12,286 Posts
BB69 , how does it work over there as far as change of ownership goes ? ---- seems a bill of sale with a vin # on it would be minimum ! -------- over here we have 50 states and every state has their own tweak of the law , before around 2002 you just had to have a bill of sale , then they started having yearly registration fees and papers

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BB69 , how does it work over there as far as change of ownership goes ? ---- seems a bill of sale with a vin # on it would be minimum ! -------- over here we have 50 states and every state has their own tweak of the law , before around 2002 you just had to have a bill of sale , then they started having yearly registration fees and papers
Nope, nothing like that over here. There is no requirement to give a receipt. Unless you are buying or selling to a business it is rare to give or ask for a receipt. The only time that you are required to give a receipt if you are a business registered for Value Added Tax (VAT).
I was given a receipt, but it was a basic VAT receipt which didn't have the VIN number.
If the vehicle is road registered, there should be a V5C document (which has the VIN number on it) to go with the vehicle, although that certificate shows that you are the registered "keeper" rather than the owner. With older machines, these documents often get lost anyway.

The lack of vehicle traceability can cause problems, particularly as a motorbikes and quads are often stolen and then broken up for spares or have their VIN numbers removed and sold on the cheap. Added to the problem, I believe if the police recover a stolen vehicle and are unable to trace the owner, they also remove the VIN number before selling them at Police auctions!

·
Premium Member
12,286 Posts
wow , that is crazy , so I guess you'll don't have a law called " possession of stolen property " , how could they ever enforce it !!! ----- when ever I buy anything with a vin or serial number on it , I want a bill of sale with the numbers on it and I ask for their drivers license to get the info off of it , I have had a couple of guys that wouldn't do it , I know if they won't agree to that then something is wrong and I don't mess with it

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
It's a massive problem over here Fish, good percentage of ebay quads will be stolen and there's several sites on facebook that you just know is full of them. As there's no registration of atv here (unless road registered) and a lot aren't insured then no one knows if stolen or not.

Billy bob, I spotted that one mate, but left it alone. Don't need anymore anyway, got them all over the place :) :biggrin:

Wouldn't by any chance be you that's contacted me through ebay after an exhaust off the one I'm breaking would it ? Exhaust was scrap anyway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Billy bob, I spotted that one mate, but left it alone. Don't need anymore anyway, got them all over the place :) :biggrin:

Wouldn't by any chance be you that's contacted me through ebay after an exhaust off the one I'm breaking would it ? Exhaust was scrap anyway.
I think that made a good call in steering well clear of it! Although it was a good deal in comparison to the guy who paid £1650 for a 'road legal 500'. From what I could see it was a 300 with a set of brake lights fitted!

No wasn't me that contacted you. I plan to go right through it and see what's what before spending any real money on it. Not sure when I will have time to do it though. Probably by the time that I have had a chance to do that, I will have added a few more to my collection :big-grin

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Was the road legal 500 photographed in the back of a van ? If so it was a 350D, I messaged him and told him so but he wasn't interested. It would have been agri registered as well not plg and he didn't mention that. I did put the link to it on here.
When they advertise them as good apart from xyz I always message them and say "so, all lights, warning lights, brakes, controls, gears, bearings etc etc are as when it left the factory"? You either get no reply or a chance of a good deal. That's exactly what I did with the 350D I just bought, it was advertised for £1295 (?) and I paid £600. For that saving I can put up with the odd offensive reply.
When you need parts I have some here, ask on here though, not ebay, it will be cheaper :)

Where and what do you farm then, and why "accidental"? I'm curious now. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you need parts I have some here, ask on here though, not ebay, it will be cheaper :)

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. I'll be sure to contact you if I need anything.

The term of "accidential farmer" was given to me by my friends. My father recently died leaving behind a sheep farm in Mid Wales with a small flock of sheep. I'm just temporarily looking after them and sorting things out, but they (that's my friends not the sheep) think that I have 'accidentially' become a farmer.
My dad was very traditional and always used sheepdogs and therefore never saw the need for an ATV or a motorbike (the funny thing is that he used to love watching Chaz Davies in the WSBK and the MotoGP racing!), hence my need to get a 'budget' quad bike relatively quickly.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. I'll be sure to contact you if I need anything.

The term of "accidential farmer" was given to me by my friends. My father recently died leaving behind a sheep farm in Mid Wales with a small flock of sheep. I'm just temporarily looking after them and sorting things out, but they (that's my friends not the sheep) think that I have 'accidentially' become a farmer.
My dad was very traditional and always used sheepdogs and therefore never saw the need for an ATV or a motorbike (the funny thing is that he used to love watching Chaz Davies in the WSBK and the MotoGP racing!), hence my need to get a 'budget' quad bike relatively quickly.
Sorry to hear about your dad.
You going to carry on farming, it must be in your blood ? Or have you seen enough of it to think "not me, ever" :wink I tend to see / associate with a few farmers through shooting and all of them seem to be in a job for life.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry to hear about your dad.
You going to carry on farming, it must be in your blood ? Or have you seen enough of it to think "not me, ever" :wink I tend to see / associate with a few farmers through shooting and all of them seem to be in a job for life.
Thanks. I quite enjoy some aspects of Farming; being your own boss for one. But toiling long hours for little pay isn't what I'm looking for. With Brexit, it's going to get worse, much worse......

I think that I may have inadvertently found you on facebook. Where you replied to guy that was selling a TRX300FW with a seized engine. I'm pretty sure it is the same quad that was sold at a Brightwells February plant auction. It was being sold as a "non-runner" and no mention of it being seized. Before the auction, I tried to kick it over and realised that it was seized. I stopped bidding on it at £325, but it was sold for £500 + VAT + Buyers Premium (About £660 in total)!

Anyway, I can't feel too smug, I've made a MAJOR mistake with the ATV that I have bought. :sad :sad :sad I'll update the project, when I'm allowed to.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
@billybob69

Major mistake in what way, what have you discovered wrong with it? The one on facebook, is that the one that has another engine with it, but he won't say exactly what condition the spare is in.?

Did yours come from a garden centre? trying to place which one it was. I look at loads of them, and ask questions, then walk away if price is wrong. One on ebay now (the one with a trailer on the back) , it's a nail and been relisted 3 times already. Obviously folk bid and win then when they see it walk away without paying. I offered him £250 unseen by paypal but he turned it down, he seems to think it's worth the £875 he's asking. lol

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
About this Discussion
47 Replies
7 Participants
billybob69
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing