Honda ATV Forum banner

Project 99 TRX300 FW

4K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Bayou_Bengal 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 TRX 300 4x4, it was my dad's and mine, so I know where it has been and how hard it was riden.

I want to rebuild it, it needs alot of work, and I'll do the work part by part to save some money.

But for now, I want to fix what NEEDS to be fixed.

The two biggest problems the wheeler has right now is it whines real bad, and it is hard as H3ll to shift up and down. To get it to shift down somtimes I practically have to stomp the shifter. Has anyone had these problems and know what could be causing them?

Any advice would be great. I'm almost sure I'll need a new clutch, but I could be wrong.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I can't access my wheeler right now, but will be able to in two weeks. I'm writing down the possible fixes for the problems.

I wouldnt be surprised at all if the gear oil is low. We've never had it checked or changed since we bought it back in 99'. Plus there is some oil/dirt residue on the transfer case, that wasn't there before it started whining.

As for the clutch, I'll give that a try. I wouldn't be surprised though if I need to buy a new clutch assembly though, I rode that wheeler hard when I was younger and dumber.

Thanks for the tips.

Discussion starter · #4 · (Edited)
Got to work on my wheeler some this weekend. I adjusted my clutch and that fixed the shifting problem for the most part. I had to adjust the shift lever up some though, I think it was bent and hit my floorboards on down shifts, but shifts flawlessly now.

As for the whine, the transfer case was low on gear oil. I added some and went riding and it quit whining, however it leaks. It looks like the leak is coming from where it connects to the engine. Do you guys think all I need to do is replace the gasket or could it be somthing more serious? If it's just a gasket I can fix that in two weeks when I go back up where my wheeler is.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Ha, yeah sorry about the vague description. It looks like it's looking oil from the connection of the front gear case and the drive shaft, if that's the case then it I should be able to replace the oil seal to fix the problem right?

Will a complete engine gasket kit come with this seal?

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys.

The reason I was thinking about getting the complete engine gasket kit is when I really start digging into the guts of the bike during the rebuild I'll want the gaskets handily avaliable.

But for now I guess I'll just order the seals for the gear case.

what have yall found to be the best/cheapest parts store for new oem parts? I'm looking at ordering the parts from cheapcycleparts.com.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Quick update on my project: I changed the oil seal between the middle drive shaft and the transfer case, it fixed the leak and the whining noise. I adjusted the clutch play and position of the foot shifter to get that working correctly.

Next up, new front bearings and seals, new brakes (trying to decide whether to just get pads for a temporary fix then get the disc kit later or go ahead and get the disc kit), and I need to get a new front fender. Further down the road(aprilish), I'll be swapping out the rear end with either a 350D's or a Big Red's, whichever I can get the easiest and cheapest. Big plans, big plans.

For the front fender, I was wondering if anyone knows how interchangeable the different years are? For example, mine is a 99, could I mount set from 94' on the front?

And I'm sure some of you saw, but once I get the new fender for the front, and new splash guards I'll be trying out the new DIY camo dip kits for the frond and rear fenders along with the gas tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.