Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hope someone can give me some ideas here. I have an 06 trx 400fa.

It is snorkeled and vented. The issue is every time we cross water everyone makes it through fine and after I cross 2-3 times my atv starts puttering and will eventually drown on a crossing. The air box upon inspection is dry.

The only thing I can think of is it is taking in water through the carb. We even let it warm up, took the seat off and sprayed a hose onto the top and it will start puttering like it is going to die.

Does anyone have some advice to what may be causing it to drown or where it may be taking in water?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Do you have all your carb vents snorkeled? Do you have your carb overflow sealed off?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I had it serviced the mechanic said the carb is not vented. The person who did the work on it originally said he did vent the carb and his atv goes through water fine and he did the same setup on his foreman that I have on the rancher.

Should I just take off all the plastics and verify the carb is vented? Any clue as to how many I am looking for?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Not sure on the 400ex but on the 300ex the electrical system is not sealed up well at all.
I think he has a Rancher 400.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Should I just take off all the plastics and verify the carb is vented? Any clue as to how many I am looking for?
Yeah, just look at the carb and all the lines coming off the carb above the bowl will be vent lines, except for the gas hose.

The lines coming from the bottom of the bowl will be drain or overflow lines. Most people that ride in deep water seal those off.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
grim check your plug if your getting water in the fuel system it will blister or crack the ceramics by the electro from the discription you have given i wonder if you dont have a electrical plug getting wet just something to think of

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I would put dielectric grease on all the electrical connections, including the sparkplug boot, whether that's the problem or not, it might keep you from having that problem in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts