Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 days ago I found a dead chicken in a pen, saw a hole in the fence, thought it was a fox, but I for some reason could smell a skunk. I never thought a skunk was a predator but I was wrong. Last night he was back again digging around a coop with no success. Tonight he returned but me and the Ruger were waiting, got him after 4hrs of waiting. Sucks I don't get blue eggs anymore but he won't bother another chicken again.

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Ruger 10R22 ? Those are sweet guns . I had all kinds of chickens , ducks , guinnies, goats , etc when I first moved over here to the countryside , the predators where eating me up , but never seen a skunk ----- the owls were the worst , wasteful bird , pulls the head off and eats the innards , drink the blood and leaves the rest , couldn't shot the owls , sure you could if you wanted to , but the $10K fine to shoot a bird of prey is a strong deterrent , an eagle is $100K , had one of them take a squirrel out my yard about two weeks ago , second time I seen that ----- I live right off Lake Ponchartrain and the Big Branch Management Area , you can see every type of bird of prey there is passing thru at one time of the year , winter is when I see the most owls ------ then there are the mammals , bobcat , coyotes , gray fox , red fox and what ever you want to call them cougars , pumas , panthers or leopards , have seen them in brown and the supposively non-existant black

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea its a Ruger 10/22. Awesome little gun for around the farm. Talked with the forest rangers here and as long as I'm protecting my livestock I can shoot anything that steps onto my property. That even includes shooting them out of my top window. Just got the gun yesterday, got a smoking deal on it, gun is near mint shape, has a scope and arm strap,and came with 3 clips, all that for 300 bucks. The only thing I noticed wrong is the one sight rail is missing,guess thats why it hass a scope.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
picture from one of my trail cams...shows these 3 lil pups that are out and about now playing at all hours..I shoulda spent more time trying to bag momma BEFORE she had them..now I'm having to deal with mom, dad, and these 3...the wife has mixed emotions cause they look so cute playing on the videos...but it won't be long and they'll be 3 more mouths tearin it up out there.

I love my Ruger 10/22s have a nice older standard with stainless and also the Takedown model in a blue krytpex finish which is extra cool..both are scoped although the groupings open up past about 65 yards.
for yotes it'll likely be my Ruger mini 14...old school (but accurized) ranch rifle..solid 3 inches out to 100yards with the occassional flier...if they make me work harder than that and don't want to call in that close then I'll take the AR15 to em..it tends to do better out to 200..beyond that I don't really have a shot on this portion of property.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
yeah a lot of folks don't know how aggressive a skunk can be, there pretty darn brave animals and they have sharp teeth , they are known here to eat chickens and ducks and geese even!

FIsh, the main reason you most likely never seen skunks when you had live stock is the Fact you said you had Owls
Owls eat skunks
there one of the only animals that will! eat them!

When I used to have lots of owls here I never ever seen a skunk
this past yr, I have not seen a single owl, not sure what happened to them
but as of last light IO counted 6 skunks here at once!
so, I am really missing my Owls!
I don't need these skunks here
as almost 1-2 times a week they spray something between say 10 pm and 1 am 1 Am , rather annoying deal!
and the suckers have NO fear of me at all, I can walk outside and they don''t even look at me, which is good and bad I guess, as they never try to spray me, but they don;t leave the yard(always after apples that fall off tree's every day) so, not really any easy way to stop em)

Only good thing is, all this rain I been getting and the fact they can control there blast, and there not letting out much, the smell is almost always gone by sun rise! or shortly there after!

Or I think some of them might end up going MIA here LOL

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
yep...skunks are the most feared creatures I see on my trail cams.. I'm ok with the yotes and we have a healthy bobcat population..beavers and otter families between our creeks and ponds, long list of all sorts of varmints...but the idea of me coming up too fast on a honda and startling a skunk into doing what it does...OMG !!

but we do have a very prolific Barred owl population.. I didn't realize they had skunk on their menus...great to know.

I'm happy when I see the possums as they apparently are natural predators of the copperheads...everything has it's place in nature...but skunks aren't welcome around here and the yotes simply gotta die (and yes I have my hunting permit for them)

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
here's a pic of my 10/22 Takedown in the kryptec

the black around the grip is grip tape..helps when it's cold n wet outside

the scope is Nikon's rimfire for 22 .nice , clear, BDC, etc
and for the Honda lovers that might recognize the lil red wonder...that's my 1979 Trail 90 (40 years old !!) still kicks right over...all original except replaced the carb this past spring...love riding on my trails, and it always hangs on the bumper of the camper on our road trips and finds some time to explore...clean title so tagged for the street too.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
the great horned owls are the main skunk eaters, I gather they cannot smell anything so, they don't mind eating em! LOL

MY other place was always good for skunks, never had any issue's with them and a few were quite friendly, too!
would eat peanuts out of my hand!
and again NEVER sprayed a thing, be it my dog or cats there,
the one's I have here this yr, are just nasty one's
since about May, I bet they blasted at least 5 bears, a dozen coons and 40-50 times NOT a clue what !
I have even sen them blast each other, heck this morning I watched two young one fighting over an apple for about 5 minutes, them all tangled up and rolling about, I was just waiting for a blast, but they never did!

a while back I even had a buddy that had one a a pet, had its scent glands removed or>> so it couldn;t spray anymore\
told me it was a great guard dog, as NO one knew it had them spray gun removed and when you walked into his house and seen it, it would get a good reaction from strangers
running for cover or exits! LOL
made a pretty darn good pet too, a lot like a cat! but maybe friendlier!

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Neighbors daughter heard I can handle a gun and wants a coon out of her yard, might have to go and take care of that now too....lol

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was sprayed at point blank range when I was a kid . . . me and my dog. Not nice. Early spring, still wearing a parka. Dad threw my clothes away, just about threw my dog away too . . .

I was around 15 when myself and a friend were walking through a trail and came upon a skunk, we both stopped dead in our tracks, the skunk took aim and pointed his pisser at us we spun and hauled ass out of there right away, he didn't spray but that was the closest I've came to being sprayed.

Luckily last night I didnt hit the bladder so it doesn't stink around here today.:devil

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Was sprayed at point blank range when I was a kid . . . me and my dog. Not nice. Early spring, still wearing a parka. Dad threw my clothes away, just about threw my dog away too . . .
a old lady I know told me the one day, she feeds stray cats, and a bunch of skunks started showing up to eat the cat food
so she went outside with a broom to chase them away, and got sprayed by like 5 of em LOL
I asked her if she thought at all about what MIGHT happen when she took a brook to them and she said, NO< I thought they would just run away! as she has done it many times??
well this time??
well they did run away just blasted off first !
Not something I would want to try I know that!

I have had a few close encounters over the yrs, but so far, they been just bluffs at most!
and hope it stays this way!

·
Registered
8,191 Posts

I was around 15 when myself and a friend were walking through a trail and came upon a skunk, we both stopped dead in our tracks, the skunk took aim and pointed his pisser at us we spun and hauled ass out of there right away, he didn't spray but that was the closest I've came to being sprayed.

Luckily last night I didnt hit the bladder so it doesn't stink around here today.:devil
you got SUPER lucky, as MOST times when you kill a skunk
as they die they relax and then they let loose control of what STOPs that smelly stuff from coming out!
and as a result, dead skunks normally release there load of funk LOL

its very rare , from all I have seen shot,that they didn;t smell afterwards so you did get really lucky IMO!

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Yea its a Ruger 10/22. Awesome little gun for around the farm. Talked with the forest rangers here and as long as I'm protecting my livestock I can shoot anything that steps onto my property. That even includes shooting them out of my top window. Just got the gun yesterday, got a smoking deal on it, gun is near mint shape, has a scope and arm strap,and came with 3 clips, all that for 300 bucks. The only thing I noticed wrong is the one sight rail is missing,guess thats why it hass a scope.
I got my 10R22 in a trade when I sold my last work truck , the guy wanted $300 off the truck for it , it came with 3 - 10 shot clips , 2 - 30 shot banana clips , a 100 round canister , no scope , a green laser sight under the barrel , been told animals can't see green light , it is just the wood and black barrel model , it has a shoulder strap with quick disconnect swivels , an extra used wooden stock , which I want to black pout one day ---only thing bad I find about it , you can't shot cheap low power bullets , they don't eject some times , the Stingers are pretty good ---- for a .22 side arm , I got the SIG Sauter Mosquito

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I got my 10R22 in a trade when I sold my last work truck , the guy wanted $300 off the truck for it , it came with 3 - 10 shot clips , 2 - 30 shot banana clips , a 100 round canister , no scope , a green laser sight under the barrel , been told animals can't see green light , it is just the wood and black barrel model , it has a shoulder strap with quick disconnect swivels , an extra used wooden stock , which I want to black pout one day ---only thing bad I find about it , you can't shot cheap low power bullets , they don't eject some times , the Stingers are pretty good ---- for a .22 side arm , I got the SIG Sauter Mosquito
10/22's are maybe the most aftermarket parts 22 on the market, there is no shortage of things you can do to them to make them work better if need be! and maybe the most sold 22 rifle out there, I know I sold tons of them back when I had my store!
they can be MADE to cycle low vel/power rounds of you wanted them to!

as for the green laser, the reason they ca me out with them is due to RED one's cannot be seen in day light, but GOOD green one's can! LOL

its not really about of the animal can see them or not!

BUT yes, deal with colored lights for wildlife spotting or hunting, is, colors like green and red tend to NOT make a shadow, and its most times when you LIGHT an animal up at night, it see's its shadow and that is what spooks them, NOT the actual light itself!

happen to know a lot about this stuff LOL
Have some high end night time rifle mounted lights for hunting at night, as well as played with a lot of 1st/2nd and third gen night vision
sold a bunch of it too yrs back!
the new thermals are WAY better but good one's are far from cheap!

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Last year I found a guys stand , plot on the land I watch over , this guy was hunting hogs maybe , could have been an illegal deer hunter also , as he had 3 elaborate green led flouresent set up with motion detectors on them , I seen it lit up at night and it lit it up well in green , had a feeder in the middle of a food plot , a hog trap , with a brand new two person deer stand over it all , chopped down trees ---the owner left him a note and gave him 1 week to get it all out , he took the good stuff and left the junk

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Last year I found a guys stand , plot on the land I watch over , this guy was hunting hogs maybe , could have been an illegal deer hunter also , as he had 3 elaborate green led flouresent set up with motion detectors on them , I seen it lit up at night and it lit it up well in green , had a feeder in the middle of a food plot , a hog trap , with a brand new two person deer stand over it all , chopped down trees ---the owner left him a note and gave him 1 week to get it all out , he took the good stuff and left the junk
yeah that is a BIG problem up my way too, folks again trespass NO permission, place treestands, cut trees, and just do what ever as if they OWNED the place
its a very frustrating thing when its costing you time and money to correct the things they did that you can and many times it takes YRS for tree's to re grow back if ever at all, and time, is NOT something any of us get back!

NOW as for the lights, there very popular for hog hunters where legal and I bet POACHERS too!

there called feeder lights, many work off motion, and many can have solar power chargers to keep them going as some of them lights cna be pretty powerful
this company makes some GOOD one's I have a few of there XL250 Kill lights fo night time coyote hunting here!
there lights are petty impressive, they make ATV /off road lights too, but there of higher price tags and quality , so many don't want to spend the $$ on em LOL

https://elusivewildlife.com/shop/hunting-lights/feeder-lights.html

https://elusivewildlife.com/shop/hunting-lights/feeder-lights/blind-sider-x2.html

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
About this Discussion
93 Replies
11 Participants
LedFTed
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing