Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I changed gear oil in the rear end last week NAPA didnt have the 80-90 in Mobil1 so I got Valvoline 75-90 hypoid, works great, and washed and cleaned it all over checked air filter and oil. Need to change oil but that's next weekend or middle of next week, fuel system is stabilized and ready I adjusted valves today to spec. Normally I cant get a normal screwdriver in there so I'd have to get em close and use a socket and ratchet to tighten the nuts with a socket and pull the gauge out with pliers (only a light amount of force was needed). But this time I thought "why not I'll give Spec a try" well I was able to get a normal flat blade screwdriver in there, and after getting the clearance set (a little on the tight side for me but still within spec to where you can get a gauge in and out). So sit back and relax time for me.

Reactions: alloutdoors and CWG

·
Registered
151 Posts
In addition for winter storage, I air up my tires, clean battery terminals, spray the underside with rust check, raise the atv on jacks off its tires and place battery minder on for the winter.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got all of that done already. :)

Reactions: CWG

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
West Virginia.... Do you even have "Winter"? ;-)

Actually I just decided to look it up, your average lows in January are colder than I had guessed.

Reactions: jdp

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
West Virginia.... Do you even have "Winter"? ;-)

Actually I just decided to look it up, your average lows in January are colder than I had guessed.
Yes sir. :D January 17th is my birthday and it gets cold.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Diehard Gold lawn tractor battery in rear storage box.
Are you running dual batteries or just the one bigger one?

Just curious because I was thinking about running a 32amp/hr battery in mine for winter instead of the 12amp/hr stock. It will need to go in rear compartment I think.(it's a sealed battery)
I have lots of electrical and am concerned about the stock battery.

I was told it probably wasn't a good idea to use 2 different batteries together.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Just curious because I was thinking about running a 32amp/hr battery in mine for winter instead of the 12amp/hr stock. It will need to go in rear compartment I think.(it's a sealed battery)

I was told it probably wasn't a good idea to use 2 different batteries together.
Just the bigger one. Diehard Gold lawn mower battery. U1R is the part number and it has 340CCA, when you put it on a battery tender junior or plus, they will increase the service life by YEARS. Mine is 7 years old if my memory is right. All you need to do is buy some 4 or 6 gauge battery cable one red and one black, drill some holes in your battery box leading to the read tool box and take the tool box off to drill 2 more holes and route your cables . Put your battery down in with some padding front back sides and underneath and you'll be good to go after you hook it up.

If you want I'll post pictures of mine tomarrow.

Reactions: Shadowed

·
Registered
82 Posts

Just the bigger one. Diehard Gold lawn mower battery. U1R is the part number and it has 340CCA, when you put it on a battery tender junior or plus, they will increase the service life by YEARS. Mine is 7 years old if my memory is right. All you need to do is buy some 4 or 6 gauge battery cable one red and one black, drill some holes in your battery box leading to the read tool box and take the tool box off to drill 2 more holes and route your cables . Put your battery down in with some padding front back sides and underneath and you'll be good to go after you hook it up.

If you want I'll post pictures of mine tomarrow.
Nice, that's pretty much how I was thinking of doing this one. I didn't think the U1R battery would fit in there. Maybe your compartment is bigger than mine... ? also, I only picked up some 8ga wire, I will have to go bigger.
I will wire in a easy accessible plug to hook up the battery tender at night.

You know what they say... A picture is worth a hell of a lot of typing... :smile

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Shadowed: Here are my pictures. Some of them are fuzzy but you can get the idea. I have my maintainer cord hooked up the the stock cables in the battery box and running out just under the seat.

NOTE: the battery tender juniors are good but after a few years or people other than who owns the machine plugs and unplugs it, the plastic that holds the 2 halves together inside snaps in my cause, so I am upgrading to the plus version for that reason. The Junior is great just a design flaw that can be fixed by a good size zip tie as you can see.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
not to sound like bashing here, but why would you need a battery larger than the one that fits in the OEM spot? My atv lived in a 3 sided building for 15 yrs, NO power to building, atv got snow on it when it snowed, never ever had any issue with battery and starting atv till a battery was past 5 yrs old, which IMO is about average life of a battery NOT on a tender
NOW if you run a LOT of accessory's , I can some what see needing more power, but I doubt the OEM charging system can keep up charging a larger battery, so, without the tender to keep it up? seems like over kill on battery and extra work on fitting and wiring it?
temps where I kept my atv would be any where from 100 to minus - 40 with wind chills and would sit for some times weeks without starting? and always started??
just saying, not bashing here
a tip for anyone that stores there atv for the winter, invest in an exhaust plug, prevents mice from getting in there and making issue's for you come spring time!

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
not to sound like bashing here, but why would you need a battery larger than the one that fits in the OEM spot? My atv lived in a 3 sided building for 15 yrs, NO power to building, atv got snow on it when it snowed, never ever had any issue with battery and starting atv till a battery was past 5 yrs old, which IMO is about average life of a battery NOT on a tender
NOW if you run a LOT of accessory's , I can some what see needing more power, but I doubt the OEM charging system can keep up charging a larger battery, so, without the tender to keep it up? seems like over kill on battery and extra work on fitting and wiring it?
temps where I kept my atv would be any where from 100 to minus - 40 with wind chills and would sit for some times weeks without starting? and always started??
a tip for anyone that stores there atv for the winter, invest in an exhaust plug, prevents mice from getting in there and making issue's for you come spring time!
If you dont have the money to waste on OEM small batteries that go out in a few years in my case along with a maintainer that you think is good but in reality burns up your batteries overnight, and you dont know it. Scumacher SEM1562A I learned pretty quick, and my grandpa was the first to switch to a lawn mower battery for that very reason. It's actually not as bad as you think, more amps, longer battery life (if maintained properly (witch now it is). I was suprised at the difference that I saw witch was longer life and easier starting when cold.

I dont recommend a Shumacher SEM1562A anymore to anyone because when it boiled my first battery, I checked if after I got the battery I have now and found it's charging output is 15.5 VDC and that is (way to high) So I threw that one in the old stroage tool chest and got the BT Junior 750MA. And have had great luck, battery stays just above 13.1- 13.2 Volts right where it needs to be

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Lawn mower batteries are not typically meant to take the same abuse and vibration powersports batteries are, I think it would be fine around the farm or ranch but in any real off-road environment I’d be looking to upgrade the stock battery to a better power sports pacific battery. JMO. I’ve never had much issue with ATV batteries personally, I don’t ever remember changing the one in my 350 but I’d have to look at it.

I don’t do anything different for winter, business as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well..., I am going to be doing a fair bit of winter riding and cold weather and batteries don't play well with each other. It starts to get dark here in winter around 3:30pm, so I will be running multiple lights, hand warmers, electric shift :blush:, starter, and possibly the winch.
Swapping to a bigger battery isn't difficult and hopefully will help ensure trouble free excursions.
The stock charging system probably won't keep up so the extra battery capacity is extra insurance. It will need to be plugged into a trickle charger at night to top it up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Lawn mower batteries are not typically meant to take the same abuse and vibration powersports batteries are, I think it would be fine around the farm or ranch but in any real off-road environment I’d be looking to upgrade the stock battery to a better power sports pacific battery. JMO. I’ve never had much issue with ATV batteries personally, I don’t ever remember changing the one in my 350 but I’d have to look at it.

The one I am looking at is a powersport battery. Absorbed glass mat sealed(any position), 500cca, [email protected]

·
Registered
7,154 Posts

The one I am looking at is a powersport battery. Absorbed glass mat sealed(any position), 500cca, [email protected]
thats's what you want AGM is the way to go.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

thats's what you want AGM is the way to go.
Mac, mine has taken everything I can throw at it but it's padded properly so it's not an issue for me. :D

·
Registered
170 Posts

How cold would it be without the wind chill? How does this wind chill figure in?:devil

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well..., I am going to be doing a fair bit of winter riding and cold weather and batteries don't play well with each other. It starts to get dark here in winter around 3:30pm, so I will be running multiple lights, hand warmers, electric shift :blush:, starter, and possibly the winch.
Swapping to a bigger battery isn't difficult and hopefully will help ensure trouble free excursions.
The stock charging system probably won't keep up so the extra battery capacity is extra insurance. It will need to be plugged into a trickle charger at night to top it up.
Charging system keeps up with mine just fine :)

·
Registered
8,309 Posts

How cold would it be without the wind chill? How does this wind chill figure in?:devil
temps have gone down to below minus 15, and wind chills play into factor as it was sitting in a open bay building exposed to wind and some weather
ATV ram a winch constantly in winter time plowing snow(about 5-10 miles every snow storm with hundreds or thousands of IN/OUT's on winch then parked when done!
atv never every had any issue's starting or running winch and lights at same time!, many time sat rear tires(parked rear sticking towards weather) would be frozen to the ground, had to break free to move, some times needing to use truck to pull on it loose!
all on a stock OEM replacement battery, 5+ yrs on every battery but one that lasted only a few weeks(and by then was parked in a warmer building and it failed in summer time, BAD battery(NAPA brand)
its a 1999 atv bought new in 1998, and ion its 4 th battery right now
as of 2015 its been parked in a enclosed building now, first 2 yrs it was parked outside under a tarp even in winter and Never any issues with starting or running battery down!

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Charging system keeps up with mine just fine :)
How well or not an ATV's charging system keeps up with things, depends on a lot of things, like how much electronic's your asking your system to run/handle, how long you run atv after using things and how often you use all electronics's
its NOT that hard to add more electrical times than an atv system can handle, these are not HD trucks with BIG alternators LOL

lots of say, lights speakers. amp's , long pulls on a winch, can easily over tax a charging system !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts