Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i bought this 98 300ex from a friend and i rebuilt the engine i go to start the bike all i get is solenoid clicking so i jump start it it starts fine i take jumper cables off let it run for about 15minutes let it warm up moderate revving and i shut it off to move nuetral safety wire away from exhaust pipe i go to start it without jumpers and it turns the engine over maybe 2-3 times and goes right back to clicking so i check the batery voltage its perfect so i check voltage drop across solenoid next to nothing but still the only way i can start it is with jumper cables need any info/ideas going riding tomarrow and dont have booster buddy so need it fixed

p.s. i used 2 volt meters so that isnt problem
also i drained battery to 10.5 volts and charged it to make sure it really was charged

could it be a bad battery its at least 1-1.5 years old minimum

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
either a bad battery..or starter is dieing..as in brushes need to be replaced....i would say your battery is gone..something alot of people don't know..even if a battery shows it's got 12v..does not mean it has the cranking amps to work a starter..it's the cranking amps that turn a starter over..not the volts..soo..i think you need a new battery..try that..before you pull your starter apart.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Agree^^^^!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what i was thinking cause it shows good voltage and doesent do barely anything unless jumped but i do know there is at least one bad commutator segment in starter but that isnt problem and cant be brushes cause it starts with a jump no problem dont even need to touch gas
so my bet is battery i do have another question about the battery
do you think that there could be too much leakage across the top of the battery because i wiped it cleaN WITH water/paper towls but didntt use baking soda or any solvent should i try this could it help?>

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
thats what i was thinking cause it shows good voltage and doesent do barely anything unless jumped but i do know there is at least one bad commutator segment in starter but that isnt problem and cant be brushes cause it starts with a jump no problem dont even need to touch gas
so my bet is battery i do have another question about the battery
do you think that there could be too much leakage across the top of the battery because i wiped it cleaN WITH water/paper towls but didntt use baking soda or any solvent should i try this could it help?>
if your battery is leaking across the top..you really need a new battery..the rectifier is trying to charge it because of low amps...and it's working over time to charge it..your battery needs to be replaced

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont know for a fact that it is just wandering if it could be a\related to the problem?> also i dont mean leaking electrolyte im talking current leaking across the top because or dirt/dust whatever

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
i dont know for a fact that it is just wandering if it could be a\related to the problem?> also i dont mean leaking electrolyte im talking current leaking across the top because or dirt/dust whatever
highly unlikely..your battery is just worn out..most atv batteries don't last much longer than 2 years tops..depending on how well they are maintained..soo..up to you..if it was me..i'd get a new battery.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Me too^^^^^^^!!If I needed one.HA HA!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i know i need one sooner or later but dont have but $5 to my name so was kinda looking for a quick temporary fix but guess not thanks for your help anyway

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Sure thing man.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
anytime..thats what were here for..the stupid question is...is the one you don't ask !!..i know before i pulled the starter apart..i'd replace the battery...it's alot easier to work with..lol...you can keep jumping it off..but..if you go anywhere..your going to need someone with you..and some jumper cables..soo..i think i'd wait until i got a new battery before i went out alone..lol

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
A hydrometer will tell you better than a meter if a battery is bad or not, you can charge the battery until the cows come home but if you have a bad or weak cell it will not start because you have lost the cranking amperage. testing each cell with a hydrometer will tell you this.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
agree ^^^^..yup trx..you hit the nail right on the head !

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Another neat little trick you can try it wont help your battery but it will tell you just how much energy is lost on top of your battery because it's DIRTY! take out your multimeter set it to the proper voltage now touch the pos to the pos terminal and neg to neg terminal now leaving the pos lead on take the neg lead ans slowly drag it over the top of your battery towards the pos terminal and watch your meter voltage you will be amazed at how much if your batteries energy is lost because of dirt, if you clean the top of your battery and keep it clean it will prolong the life of it. try it ant let me know what you find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A hydrometer will tell you better than a meter if a battery is bad or not, you can charge the battery until the cows come home but if you have a bad or weak cell it will not start because you have lost the cranking amperage. testing each cell with a hydrometer will tell you this.
id have done it already but the battery is sealed top so im outta luck i just gotta replace it i guess

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another neat little trick you can try it wont help your battery but it will tell you just how much energy is lost on top of your battery because it's DIRTY! take out your multimeter set it to the proper voltage now touch the pos to the pos terminal and neg to neg terminal now leaving the pos lead on take the neg lead ans slowly drag it over the top of your battery towards the pos terminal and watch your meter voltage you will be amazed at how much if your batteries energy is lost because of dirt, if you clean the top of your battery and keep it clean it will prolong the life of it. try it ant let me know what you find.
yes i know of it its called surface discharge i believe
but i havent tested it yet i didnt think it could be enough to cause my problem do you think its possible?

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
i doubt it..if your battery is more than 5 years old..replace it

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
if it's not holding a charge..it's either got a dead cell..or your stator is bad..or your rectifier...one..or all of these could be bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts