Ok guys I have an extra head for my quad actually everything but the crank to build another engine. I took the head to the shop today and bead blasted all the funk off it it looks like a new head now. I taped up the top and bottom faces so the beading wouldn't pit them.
I will be porting the head next week sometime, after I finish my homework first, I'm carrying it to a local machine shop to have it Flow tested stock so I'll know where I'm at on factory CFM specs. Then it's off to the workbench and die-grinder dremel. I have done old V-8 heads so this one should be fairly simple. there is alot of casting defects to remove on the intake side and where the intake mates to the head I can see about 1.5 to 2 mm of the head so port matching that will be first. the exhaust side is pretty much the same way but I'm only going to drum sand the port and opening to clean it and reshape the exit to match the copper exhaust bushing. I will post up some progress pics as soon as I start.
Well I started porting this morning I got to work early since this is the only time I have to do anything. So far it's turning out really well I have one intake bowl opened a little more rounded and smoothed the area around the valve guide with a smooth transition from the throat to the bowl. The first picture shows what it looked like well now there is no step lip to the valve guide and the bowl sides have a nice roll down into the intake throat. i have removed some of the edge in the third picture opening up the mouth some. More to come and pictures too!!
ok I took this with my phone so the detal sucks a little. The upper left valve bowl is 90% completed I have to smooth out a few rough areas I started the right upper 50% i'd say. I also sanded the combustion area and did a quick polist to see where my imperfections are. I will try to take some beter pics tomorrow.
I have to order a long shaft burr bit i can't reach the center of the runners too well other than that it's coming along nicely, I'm going through sanding drums like crazy!! lol. I knock off the cast defects with a burr bit and smooth with a drum so far so good, I got the bowls shaped really nice they actually look like a bowl now and not like a half-bowl.