Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted everyone's opinion:

What material have y'all used to recover your seats?
How durable is it?
How has it held up?
Easy/Hard to work with?

Pictures Before and after?

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I don't recover my seats, for my atvs, I buy new, for what you pay for having them recovered ?, you can just buy a new seat ( if its still being sold ? ). now, for my motorcycles ?, i'll pay the pro's to recover them.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
The stuff there covered with from the factory, we call it vinyl here in the UK. It's cheap, lasts quite well and is waterproof. I recover my own or get a friend of my Dads to do it as he's an upholsterer :biggrin:

·
Registered
194 Posts
The most comfortable seat recover for me was shearling wool. It was expensive but very comfortable especially on all day rides, which I used to do a lot of. I rode a Gold Wing. All bets are off in the rain! However here in Arizona we get about 15 rain days a year.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Find you a sewing store like joanns fabrics, hobby lobby, or Hancock fabrics. They will have a vinyl material in different colors you can get pretty cheap. If you have a small nail gun you can cover it yourself. I covered my seat on my 300 a few years ago with no problems yet.

·
Premium Member
12,683 Posts
I use marine grade vinyl , cost $19.99 a yard , takes 1/2 a yard , they will sell 1/2 a yard , sometime you find a pice in the remnant section for $5 a yard , takes about an hour to pull the old cover and staples off and out , and recover the seat , best to have a air powered stapler with 3/8 long stainless staples , the spring and electric staplers that I have use don't do as easy or good of a job as the air powered one , I very seldom buy Harbor Freight junk but did pick up the $14.99 stapler and have done 20 seats or more with it for my friends and my self

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Some dude on eBay have seat covers for sale any color you want you just rip off the old one and staple the new one to the pan, but abnormal staple gun won't do it, you'll need a pneumatic one of some sprts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I agree with the Marine Vinyl, it's tough and just like stock. My neighbour does upholstery so I bring my stuff to her. The last seat she did for me was on a friend of mines can am renegade and it looked like a pain because of all the bends and curves. she actually put the whole thing in the oven for a little while and then with a hair dryer stretched it around all the bends and curves. It looked amazing when it was done. Just like brand new.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Local upholstery shop does mine. Covered in any color marine grade vinyl, custom stitching, gel pad inserts, foam mods. Very reasonable.

Had a white 420 seat one time, did the center white ostrich, sides black rough grain leather, removed foam from the middle and added in a gel pad and heat pad. Looked phenomenal, like something from the factory. He charged about $100.

Stock re-covers with whatever marine vinyl he has in stock is $30ish, next day turn around.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I actually picked ordered a premade to fit seat cover for one of my Ranchers through Amazon, it was only $26 with shipping, one of the worst part was getting the old cover off and pulling the staples. installing the new cover kind of sucked because of the plastic seat pan, definitely had to have a pneumatic stapler with short staples. But got it done and turned out pretty good, might consider a whole new seat if there is a next time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I actually picked ordered a premade to fit seat cover for one of my Ranchers through Amazon, it was only $26 with shipping, one of the worst part was getting the old cover off and pulling the staples. installing the new cover kind of sucked because of the plastic seat pan, definitely had to have a pneumatic stapler with short staples. But got it done and turned out pretty good, might consider a whole new seat if there is a next time.
I agree with FF, buy a custom fit one if it is available. Will fit the tight corners better. I like to take it up a step and go with the gripper material, too: Quad Works Gripper Seat Cover | MotoSport

·
Registered
555 Posts
I would've put a gripper type material if on if I could've found it, it was just about the time that we found out we needed to do some engine work so wife wasn't happy and I decided to just get something fairly inexpensive that would replace the old torn cover. I have the privilege of storing mine inside so the only time they get exposed to weather is when we are out riding. And one of them I don't really use during the winter.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
OK I think MOST durable, will be neoprene atv seat covers with the protective like coating on them,THINK, HD waders where!
there pretty darn tuff , MUCH thicker than vinyl, and stays cooler in HIGH heat, pending color of course, black will be black here< I have a camo one, as it faded its MUCH cooler than when it was newer had taken a beating and still solid, now about 10+ yrs

but they HOLD water, some what, as the oputer layer will be WET even if you wipe it off
so, that can such if you want a dry A$$ if you tow it in the rain or park it out side and canot just wipe it dry like Vinyl can be
SO< has pro's and con's
Vinyl, the marine grade is GREAT stuff, and maybe the better option
most boat shops carry and sell it by the yard

but to be honest, its easier to just buy a pre made fitted seat cover I think, than making your own?

if you USE GOOD stainless steel staples(NOT cheap folks) you can staple a seat cover on and they won;t rust off on you

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Here's a tip for all those using hand/spring staplers rather than air powered.. Heat your seat base with a heat gun and pre heat your staples before you put them in the gun, you won't get those annoying sticky out staples. Makes a huge difference.
Regarding tight fitting corners, vinyl only stretches one way, and again, it works best if it's warm before you start to reupholster your seat.

Heat is the key when recovering your seat.

·
Premium Member
12,683 Posts
seat covers is about the only job on someone else's ATV I can be talked into doing , they offer to pay me to work on ATV's but I don't charge them anything --------------I recently did a Can-Am seat for a friend , he bought the factory oem cover , Man is that some cheap stuff , thin as can be , the original cover lasted him less than 2 years , another problem was they don't give you any extra material as it is precut and stretching it is with your finger tips , when I cover a 300 seat I leave 3-4 inches all around and after it is stapled down cut the excess with a razor knife -------------also did a Honda 500 recently and that one I would get a cover that is sewn to fit , with the slope on the front of the seat it was hard to get it tight as the pan was bending ,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.