Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2007 Honda Rincon 680. It just had it’s 4,000th mile put on it. The machine is in great shape and everything about it is great, I love it, but it’s got a pretty aggressive down shift to it. So as I was just riding down the road, I wanted to just simply coast to my driveway instead of being jerked with the automatic’s down shift. So I went to put it into neutral while going about 40ish mph and accidentally slipped it into reverse and it started grinding of course. Since then, it grinds in reverse every single time. I have to slam it into reverse from drive and even that doesn’t work sometimes. I’m sure one of the gears teeth just got worn down pretty bad inside and I’m pretty mechanically inclined but I’ve never messed with any sort of gears or guts in the engine like that. So my first question is what gear would I look at and then where exactly it’s located. After alittle research I found that there’s a “reverse” gear in the back of the motor to where I’d have to remove the rear differential (which is no problem for me) but before I dig in, I’d really like an opinion on if I’m guessing correctly, and if not, where to look and the best way to get it done. Early thanks for all the replies!

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Start by getting a copy of the service manual and read and follow the direction in section 12. There might be one or more gear teeth broken off, so look for those pieces and clean the cases out good if you find heavily damaged gears in there. Readjust the shift linkage as the manual says during reassembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Start by getting a copy of the service manual and read and follow the direction in section 12. There might be one or more gear teeth broken off, so look for those pieces and clean the cases out good if you find heavily damaged gears in there. Readjust the shift linkage as the manual says during reassembly.
So you’re saying it’s going to be one of the gears in the diagram you shared with me? And these are located near the rear differential correct? Behind the pull start I think? And if there’s not a ton of damage should I still adjust the shift linkage? Thank you! And I’ll get a copy of the manual

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it all taken apart down and none of the gears look badly worn and none of them are broken. So now what do you guys think? Was it only a linkage problem the whole time? And is there anything I should do while I’m this far in? Thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a pic of the inside. I had a gear or two out as I took this pic so that's why there may be one missing. Let me know what you think if you can see anything in the picture. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, I didn't realize that the damage could happen on the inside and I found this damage here on this part. Could this be my problem? From what I could tell, there wasn't any damage anywhere else.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Yes, all of the gear change engagement/disengagement actions take place inside with those dogs. The gears themselves remain constantly meshed with each other.

I see in your pic that one of those dog sets have the edges worn off, but I'm blind as a bat so I'm gonna let someone else make the call... I can't see some things in photos... I struggle with details like that. Gettin' old sucks.

A note about worn dogs... if one set of dogs is worn/damaged then the part that it slides into & mates with will be worn/damaged too. Always replace both worn parts at the same time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I think there might be enough damage there for it to be grinding like that so I’ll order some parts and put it back together and see what happens. Wish me luck

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Those dogs looked pretty wasted to me too, but as I said my eyes aren't reliable when viewing photos. When I put my magnifier on to see things the photos lose resolution and contrast and look fuzzy.

Make sure you get that updated part number and replace its mate. Both are junk if one of them is. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So long story short, I got all my new parts, put it back together and it works perfect!!! Butt (of course) it leaks oil now super bad out of the case we had to take off. I replaced all gaskets yet they must not have sealed properly or something. Any suggestions?? Should I add a liquid gasket or something?

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
So long story short, I got all my new parts, put it back together and it works perfect!!! Butt (of course) it leaks oil now super bad out of the case we had to take off. I replaced all gaskets yet they must not have sealed properly or something. Any suggestions?? Should I add a liquid gasket or something?

Shouldn't have to use Hondabond since there's a gasket there. Did you perhaps tear the gasket?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts