Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 Honda fourtrax 300 2x4. It had a light bar that was removed because I was about to sell the fourwheeler. The wiring that went to the light bar was useless so I decided to take it off. I cut the wire off and I didn't touch any other wires just the useless one. I then proceeded to take a ride. I hoped on it and pushed the button. Nothin. Not a sound. I checked all the wires. The fuses everything. The headlights dont come on. The start button wont work. The battery is fully charged. But the funny thing is the neutral light comes on. So I thought well maybe the battery is just weak. I put it on the charger the charger said fully charged. I was so confused. So panicking I tried kick starting it for an hour. Nothing. good compression. turns over. just no spark. Which is weird. So I took my battery put it on my friends 2001 sporttrax 300ex. We got nothin. no spark headlights didnt turn on. no neutral light. Just nothin. But his underglow did work. So we thought that the battery was just bad and proceeded to put his battery back on. Well we put his battery back on and then we pressed the button nothin. No headlights. No neutral light. Just nothin. So we pushed it down the hill and dropped the clutch in 3rd gear starts right up. We thought that since we did put the battery on the 300 fourtrax it drained the battery so we ran the 300 sportrax ex for a bit to charge the battery. Then we turned the ex off and tried to start it with the button nothin. I have no clue what I did wrong. I pulled a useless wire that just connected to a light bar. Didnt touch anything else. Idk I am completely upset and tired. Just want help really bad. I have no idea what is wrong. It could be the cdi box but then the kick start should work and the neutral light shouldn't. I think it is the starter but still the kick start should work. I need help bad please. I beg you.

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
There are troubleshooting tables in the service manual; you got a couple gremlins in there. It could be a starter solenoid and a faulty connection.

download the service manual and check parts links in my signature block below

From the Overheating diagnostics: when switching on you must have a steady neutral light and the oil light should come on momentarily and then go out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Try fiddling with the alarm and CDI boxes, they are located under the front plastic. Wiggle the plugs to both and see where that gets you. hope this helps!

·
Registered
25 Posts
You say that you pulled a useless wire. Where was that wire connected on each end? Was one end hooked to the ignition switch and the other to the light bar? Was I a ground wire for the light bar? It sounds like whatever you pulled it from wasn’t so useless. I would start tracing where that wire was, what it was connected to, and wherever those wires went.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts