Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have advice when taking off the cover from the left side of the motor. I need to remove it to repair the whole in it from my chain I took off the shifter and revers lever and removed the bolts but it will only pull off like a 1/4in. Also when I got it pulled off that little bit there was oil running out of of the side cover it is supposed to be dry right??????

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just had to do this to my 300ex which i believe other than the internals should be pretty close to the same. Oil should run out there a small wholes on the inside wall that allow oil to come in and lube up things on that side. There should be two or three bolts that are hidden underneath the starter cover that actually hold the side cover it self on. It took me a few minutes to find those. If the starters are the same when you take the cover off do it slowly because there are a few gears that are used by the starter that become loose and will fall out. Don't let that scare you though because they should be really easy to see how they go back in. other than that make sure the shifter and reverse stay on instead of coming off with the cover. I cant remember which one bu one of them looked like it had a pretty big spring on it that could be a pain to put back on if you pull it off. Like i said it was a 300 i did this on so there may be some things different. Some one else will be by shortly to let you know.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
It should pull on off. I can't think of anything else that would be holding it. Try getting a hold of each side of it with both hands and wiggling it back and forth while pulling it off. It's supposed to have oil in there, so oil will run out.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I just had to do this to my 300ex which i believe other than the internals should be pretty close to the same. Oil should run out there a small wholes on the inside wall that allow oil to come in and lube up things on that side. There should be two or three bolts that are hidden underneath the starter cover that actually hold the side cover it self on. It took me a few minutes to find those. If the starters are the same when you take the cover off do it slowly because there are a few gears that are used by the starter that become loose and will fall out. Don't let that scare you though because they should be really easy to see how they go back in. other than that make sure the shifter and reverse stay on instead of coming off with the cover. I cant remember which one bu one of them looked like it had a pretty big spring on it that could be a pain to put back on if you pull it off. Like i said it was a 300 i did this on so there may be some things different. Some one else will be by shortly to let you know.
The 250X doesn't have a starter.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
I wouldn't pull it off at all personally i would just pull the sprocket off clean it up real good with brake cleaner sand it a little and jb weld it mine was done that way and it works fine.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I wouldn't pull it off at all personally i would just pull the sprocket off clean it up real good with brake cleaner sand it a little and jb weld it mine was done that way and it works fine.
Yeah, I've fixed them like that, too, without taking the side cover off. Just make sure you get all the oil off of it.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
With pulling the cover off you will have to replace the seal around the drive sprocket shaft if you mess it up along with any O-rings that may be on the cover, plus you will have to buy a tube of honda bond...lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea the only thing about that is there are broken peices inside. So I am gonna have to take it off and I will just replace those seals aroung the shifter and revers shafts. Does any one have the repair manual for doing this so I can do it the right way? (nothing aginst any of you)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With pulling the cover off you will have to replace the seal around the drive sprocket shaft if you mess it up along with any O-rings that may be on the cover, plus you will have to buy a tube of honda bond...lol
I dont have to remove the cover behind the drive sprocket it seems end in front of that. but if it does go behind the drive shaft maybe thats whats holdiing it up because I know there is a snap ring on the shaft

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
yeah If I can find my manual I will scan the pages for you gimme some time to find it I would be glad to help out bro. pm me your email the pictures will be larger that way.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I dont have to remove the cover behind the drive sprocket it seems end in front of that. but if it does go behind the drive shaft maybe thats whats holdiing it up because I know there is a snap ring on the shaft
No, I'm pretty sure the side cover doesn't go over the output shaft or behind the front sprocket.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
Nah it dosen't but it does go over the shifter shaft it look like in the diagram Im not at my bike so I can say for sure.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, it goes over the shifter shaft and the reverse lock out shaft.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I ended up just tearing into it I have a S#@t ton of jb weld on it now and I am going to make my own case saver so it dosnt happen again

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
When that JB Weld drys, you can even grind it down or sand it if you put it on thick enough. Then you can paint it if you want to. I have fixed them and done that and you couldn't even tell it had been busted.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When that JB Weld drys, you can even grind it down or sand it if you put it on thick enough. Then you can paint it if you want to. I have fixed them and done that and you couldn't even tell it had been busted.
Yea ok thanks i never thought about that now I think i am going to sand it to even it up a little more

1 - 16 of 16 Posts