Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone plasti-dipped there rims? I know once you rub something it's gonna peel off but black looks good on rims and it's not worth it to buy new rims just for color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have done it on cars, It's easy and I'm sure you can find a tutorial on Youtube. Make sure to send us a photo so we can see how they look! Good luck.
Cameron

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I did mine on my 300 in plasti dip bright Aluminum, last Summer , had no problem from peeling , one thing to remember any petroleum product (far asi know) is an instant dip destroyer, bright aluminum is the closet match i could find, import magnesium is stock rim paint, i couldn't find any in the US and the paint i did find was VERY expensive I'll post a pic soon as i can, then you can see what they look like, i clean mine with viniger, life's the crud right off, with soft scrubbing.

Reactions: wheelsquad

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Side note, if you choose to. Use plasti-dip black (or any other color) very many lite dusting coats makes the finish stronger, AND using the PD fade buster makes them WAY easy to clean, also adds some shine, (not much) i used no primer. Striped the rims used 5 base coats of black , then 10 very lite coats of bright aluminum ,then 5 coats of fade bust, best pic i have @ the moment :)

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...t=8#h=1740&imgrc=IXaQcchu5X6dFM:&vet=1&w=2320

Here's a better link to the pic ^^^^^

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Side note, if you choose to. Use plasti-dip black (or any other color) very many lite dusting coats makes the finish stronger, AND using the PD fade buster makes them WAY easy to clean, also adds some shine, (not much) i used no primer. Striped the rims used 5 base coats of black , then 10 very lite coats of bright aluminum ,then 5 coats of fade bust, best pic i have @ the moment :)

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...t=8#h=1740&imgrc=IXaQcchu5X6dFM:&vet=1&w=2320

Here's a better link to the pic ^^^^^

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Your most welcome, n do post some pics when you shoot them :)

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
After several rides on a sport quad

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Simple fix if you still want black plasti wheels, spray them with wd-40 let um wrinkle wipe off, then clean them with dawn, re coat, if you coat them MANY times they will have a tougher finish! I use high pressure water to blast mine clean (never had a peel)

Reactions: Number12

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
If you guarantee your work I'd have you do a set for me. The rocks are what I believe are my problem. I've not noticed any new or fresh peeling from washing.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Against rocks ? I'll be happy to shoot them, but i can't guarantee against rocks lol :) oh! And there is another brand out there called plasti kote, i think that stuff is ultra hard to shoot, looks more like cheep spray on bed liner.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Update, a few members here have inquire , about plasti dip, so i did a comparison between plasti-dip bright aluminum and elastiwrap,silver bullet, and.... Thanks to @Duck0fDeath i learned plasti-dip has a new type out satin aluminum , i will be testing as rim coating, I'll update on the test soon! Thx duck!

Attachments

Reactions: TBRider

·
Registered
356 Posts
I liked the idea of trying the satin aluminum because it shouldn't require using a base coat of black or any other color. I wanted as close to the original color though, and yours appears to be it. Tough to tell on a PC monitor though.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Reason i went with bright aluminum, is because it needs many base coats of any color plasti dip EI, the more base coats the better. Stronger finish, and it's very very close to oem import magnesium paint , BUT. Way cheeper...... HEY man if that satin requires no base , and is a close to oem match...... I'll most likely re shoot mine, i got a can ordered.....lol , have you see the new sterling silver ? I watched a fonzie utube, the finish looks close, but your right hard to really tell from just a pic......

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you think it will benefit from additional base coats, I will do a few in black. Black is dirt cheap compared to the fancy colors. I'll definitely check out the sterling silver. I'll probably wait for you to try out the satin before I get anything. Thanks for that!

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
According to dip you car . Com, just the true metallics requires base coats (black base is 1st choice) (thumbs up) AND you use that fade buster on any type of cured plast dip , i shot mine with a few coats, makes the finish look deeper, and makes um easier to clean the muck off, also..... Bleach white tire acid works good, but, clean mine with a water/vinegar solution and a sponge .

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
plasti kote
plasti kote used to make the best engine spray-paint. after you cleaned you engine off with oven cleaner[that no longer works], you hose the cleaner off, let dry, an paint. that paint was on there! WD didnt phase it. i cant seem to find it anymore. just a side note. i have a bit left in some spray cans. its about 20 + yrs. old, it sprays spotty some now, still sticks like no other paint ive found..

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I looked into plasti kote...... LT ......is it a rubber coating, or enamel ? I'm guessing.... Enamel for high engine block temps.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
@Duck0fDeath , i don't think performix offers stirling silver in aerosol ? ....... At least not yet, how ever... I did find a new metallic plasti plasti-dip aluminum-A ...n yep... I Got a can coming . I have NO idea when I'll have time for testing...and a note, shooting those wheels/rims with all one color is a great idea, but.... If there's one peel , the whole coating will try to peel off, and not in just layers. Longer cures the better.

Attachments

Reactions: Duck0fDeath

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
I looked into plasti kote...... LT ......is it a rubber coating, or enamel ? I'm guessing.... Enamel for high engine block temps.
its enamel, but sticks really well. once it drys, its takes another oven cleaned to phase it. it resist heat to 500F. its not rubber, but could serve the same function as far rims are concerned. plasti-kote made some great spray paint. dont know how they are now. fast dry too

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Thanks @LedFTed , i might have to get some and give a shot, by the way i got elasti-wrap n plasti kote mixed up, lol......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts