Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2015 Pioneer 700 last year and after about 1000km of use I noticed that the transmission was missing when it was cold. It is progressively getting worse. I live in Canada so the winter time warm up is quite a waiting session. I heard that this is a common problem with Honda xmissions but have not clear information on the cause and solution to the problem. Can anybody help?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I purchased a 2015 Pioneer 700 last year and after about 1000km of use I noticed that the transmission was missing when it was cold. It is progressively getting worse. I live in Canada so the winter time warm up is quite a waiting session. I heard that this is a common problem with Honda xmissions but have not clear information on the cause and solution to the problem. Can anybody help?
Are you experiencing the same issues during Summer? If this is a weather issue, i.e., cold weather making the oil an issue for wet clutches, then alternative oils and/or housing the unit may be a potential solution, vs. a real transmission issue.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Are you running Jaso MA oil in it?

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
JASO MA rated is the oil our clutches need for proper operation. You are asking for trouble running an automobile oil because they quite often have friction modifiers that are too slippery for our clutch packs.

This will be very clearly spelled out in the owners manual and the shop manual.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Oil type you are running? Are you sure it is full?

Same engine as the Rincon, and the Rincons are very finicky about oil level being perfect. If it's even a hair low they slip/don't shift right.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Thanks everybody for the info. Its much appreciated. The same thing happens in the summer. Will check oil level. Still has factory oil.
If you are on factory oil, and unless I am incorrect, I thought the initial service interval for the Honda Pioneer was first month or 20 hours as shownhttps://www.manualslib.com/manual/1043865/Honda-Pioneer-Sxs700.html?page=103#manual...

so if you have 1000 km or ~ 621 miles on the unit, then it's time for a full service on the Honda pioneer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
REPLACE THE OIL ABSOLUTELY. I have learned over the years that on my Honda ATV's (I never owned anything else) that trans oil is very sensitive. Change the oil and the filter religiously with the specified product. Don't cut corners on a cheap oil either. I always replace the oil & filter early on a new machine where the break-in might create foreign material into the oil.

Good luck, but I think you have a quick fix.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The good news is that you very likely don't have a mechanical problem.

Change the oil and filter!!!!!!!! I would strongly recommend Honda oil and filters. This is not a place to look for a bargain. The are some real crappy, name brand filters on the market - beware.

Even if you don't meet the mileage spec. to change oil and filter, I would change it at least once a year. Honda's are very sensitive like the previous message said.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Run Amsoil 0w40 in it and wait for it to warm up 10mins or so before riding. These engines are cold natured, and you cannot just hop in and ride, the oil runs the entire transmission if it's thick and cold it's going to act like junk.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Yikes.

Is the oil level correct? The Rincons won't shift if the oil level isn't perfect. Same transmissions as the 700 pioneer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
Jeepwm69
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing