Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After all the good input on this forum and other research, I went to the dealer yesterday to try to buy (or at least get close to) a purchase of a Honda 2016, 2000 EPS. The dealer is almost out of 2016 Honda's, and sort of steered me to the Polaris 1000. He wanted me to ride in both machines, but all they have is a large parking lot. Anyway he tried to sell me on the comfort of the seats, the belt drive over the gear drive, and easier access to the engine - the costs would be very simitlar.

The Polaris was somewhat impressive with it's more car like interior, and easy access to spark plugs etc. My wife arrived when I was talking to the salesman, and she made a comment on the jerking of the gear shifting on my manual shifting Foreman. He naturally jumped on that with the "advantages" of the belt drive on the Polaris (I always thought it was a disadvantage myself).

Now I'm having to include my wife in the discussion (not a show stopper) since he convinced her of the superior ride on the Polaris. I will use the machine for both trail and some work around my 10 acres, and reliability is the primary reason that I've always leaned toward Honda. I will never be doing anything extreme on the trail or at work - at least intentionally. A superior ride could influence me if it was really significant.

Any comments besides to hire a good lawyer? LOL

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I do like the Polaris Generals I think they look pretty tough looking.. And being 90+ hp it will rip pretty good.. I thing the General will also ride a lot better than that Honda too..

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
After all the good input on this forum and other research, I went to the dealer yesterday to try to buy (or at least get close to) a purchase of a Honda 2016, 2000 EPS. The dealer is almost out of 2016 Honda's, and sort of steered me to the Polaris 1000. He wanted me to ride in both machines, but all they have is a large parking lot. Anyway he tried to sell me on the comfort of the seats, the belt drive over the gear drive, and easier access to the engine - the costs would be very simitlar.

The Polaris was somewhat impressive with it's more car like interior, and easy access to spark plugs etc. My wife arrived when I was talking to the salesman, and she made a comment on the jerking of the gear shifting on my manual shifting Foreman. He naturally jumped on that with the "advantages" of the belt drive on the Polaris (I always thought it was a disadvantage myself).

Now I'm having to include my wife in the discussion (not a show stopper) since he convinced her of the superior ride on the Polaris. I will use the machine for both trail and some work around my 10 acres, and reliability is the primary reason that I've always leaned toward Honda. I will never be doing anything extreme on the trail or at work - at least intentionally. A superior ride could influence me if it was really significant.

Any comments besides to hire a good lawyer? LOL
Owned both and without question the Polaris handles/rides better. Polaris is a fast unit. The Honda was what I expected, predictable, slower and what I consider more Forman like, proportionally more work than trail. I had the convertible Honda model, where you switch from a bed to two tiny seats in the rear, nice feature, but those little seats are not very comfortable for a long ride. I personally do more work and found the Kawasaki Mule to be the nicest unit out there for my needs, exceptionally quite engine, beefy driveline components. If planning on some trail riding, the general may be on my list. If, I were looking to carry more than 2, then I would get a crew and not a convertible model Honda.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I think Polaris wins in the ride and speed dept, and also agree there SXS's are more reliable than there atv's

and it seems like that is more the direction your wanting a machine in, is ride and handling area, over the Honda work side
I would suggest the Polaris and go with an extended warranty to cover peace of mind in that area!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I think Polaris wins in the ride and speed dept, and also agree there SXS's are more reliable than there atv's

and it seems like that is more the direction your wanting a machine in, is ride and handling area, over the Honda work side
I would suggest the Polaris and go with an extended warranty to cover peace of mind in that area!
I concur, and would get the extended warranty.

·
Registered
338 Posts

I,m a Honda guy. my son is a polaris guy. he now has a 1000 2up, before that
just the 1000 sportsman , I think that was the model. before that he had the 850 model. now he might keep this 1000 for another year and no more polaris for him. he,s had enough. the warranty sucks big time . even new machines
nickel and dime u to death, except the nickels are $100 bills. they are noisy
and heavy, but they ride nice and the power steering is nice, his 850 that
he traded in and the dealer sold it and a year later the power steering went on
it and it was almost $3,000 to fix . A arm bushings, he goes through at least 3 set a summer and he only rides 1 day a week as he works 6 days a week.
I put on 5 times the miles he does and no problems. u get the drift.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

I,m a Honda guy. my son is a polaris guy. he now has a 1000 2up, before that
just the 1000 sportsman , I think that was the model. before that he had the 850 model. now he might keep this 1000 for another year and no more polaris for him. he,s had enough. the warranty sucks big time . even new machines
nickel and dime u to death, except the nickels are $100 bills. they are noisy
and heavy, but they ride nice and the power steering is nice, his 850 that
he traded in and the dealer sold it and a year later the power steering went on
it and it was almost $3,000 to fix . A arm bushings, he goes through at least 3 set a summer and he only rides 1 day a week as he works 6 days a week.
I put on 5 times the miles he does and no problems. u get the drift.
I never owned a Polaris long enough for it nickel and dime me, but the stories tend to have the similar theme....

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
The dealer is pushing you towards a Polaris because he'll make more money on that sale.

I HATE Polaris ATV's. The SxS's seem to have a better reputation, but as a brand I tend to avoid it.

Honda seems to have slipped a bit on quality control. I never buy anything, including a Honda, until the design has been out for a couple of years and the bugs can be worked out. The 1000 Pioneer should have manifested most of the issues in the next year or two. I know the harsh shifting has been fixed with a new ECU/ shift program on the Rubicons, so might have the same thing on the newer pioneers available now or in the near future.

I'd buy the Honda, simply because I buy things to keep. If you're a "trade it off every few years" it probably doesn't really matter which one you get.

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
I've read horror stories of a lot of Polaris catching on fire ?, you may want to read up on this before you sign that dotted line !.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
that or keep GOOD insurance on it, that covers all your add on's and such, which is NEVER a bad idea on ANY atv, with prices being what they are today on them!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I ended up with a 2018 Pioneer 1000-3, and it was only a few bucks more that the 2017 model.

Nice machine - very large in garage. Too wide for a 7' wide enclosed trailer, so I bought a Honda towable cover from Bike Bandit which I hope will work out ($50 savings vs. a dealer). Apparently the need for a second batter may be a consideration. Care must be taken towing with fabric doors installed, but cover should eliminate concerns. I'm glad I got the glass windshield and hard top. Machine has lots of power - top speed about 70 mph which l don't ever plan to see in person. I also bought a 7' X 12' aluminum, tilt trailer that works extremely well.

I do think a Polaris would have filled my needs too. I'm slightly concerned that I bought a larger machine than would have been a best fit for me, but only time will tell. It is nice to have some reserve power with the larger machine.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Thank god you didn't buy a Polaris..

Polaris is always better.. Until you use it a few years and it becomes a real headache.. And a pain in the pecker for the people you want to ride with..

Polaris has ruined many rides for me... And it wasn't even my Machine.

lol

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I ended up with a 2018 Pioneer 1000-3, and it was only a few bucks more that the 2017 model.

I'm slightly concerned that I bought a larger machine than would have been a best fit for me, but only time will tell. It is nice to have some reserve power with the larger machine.
Congrats on the purchase.

As for size, large machines can still do small jobs, LOL. Be sure to post a picture or two

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
. I put a heated seat kit in my Polaris ranger and it’s great. I still have to wear earplugs when I drive it cuz it’s SO noisy.

My diesel Mule is great running, not too loud but cab is hot in the summertime. I need to reposition the oil cooler

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
Goober
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing