Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not getting how the pinion shaft needle bearing is held in place on the front and rear differentials on this quad. I refer to the small needle bearing on the gear end on the pinion shaft, which fits into the differential case. There is a 3/16" hole in the diff case, which allows one to see there is a retainer wire around the outside of the bearing. There is no hole in the case at the rear of the bearing to allow one to drive it out. (there was such a hole on the yamaha differential I rebuilt). I have tried heating the diff case to 200 F, and then prying the bearing out thru that little hole, but no go. I have the official Honda service manual, which unfortunatley makes no reference to this bearings removal. Is there a special puller for this job? I thought I may be able to stuff the bearing with grease and then push the pinion shaft into the bearing. This method may "hydralic" the bearing out, but there is the retainer wire to deal with, and they have it there for a reason. So far I cannot figure it out though.
Does anyone know of a method to do this job?

·
Registered
12 Posts
there is a snap wire that fits around the bearing midway down. There is a 3/16 hole in the casting and you will see a wire through the hole it fits in a groove in the casting and the bearing.I worked mine around and was able to get a hold of the end an pull it out the hole not sure how Honda does it. Don't try to get the bearing out without removing that wire as you'll split the casting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts