Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
To explain, a tiff file is a "lossless" image file, which means there is no compression of the dimensions, pixels, colours, size ect.

A Jpeg / Jpg is a more compressed file type which reduces the image size and compresses it, making it a smaller file.
good explanation............

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
pictures

i was going to post some pictures, but cant seem to do this. 1 picture, may or not be controversial, i figure you will edit this if it is not so. anyway, this site now says i have not granted, special permissions. where do i find this at, so i can remedy the situation? is this like google or in your face book, to where, if you post, the site gets permission to own your pictures? i dont mind if someone uploads a picture of mine, if they make a profit off of it, thats a different story. //ed

·
Registered
463 Posts
Posted from wrong account.. Must be Friday..

Anyways.

i was going to post some pictures, but cant seem to do this. 1 picture, may or not be controversial, i figure you will edit this if it is not so. anyway, this site now says i have not granted, special permissions. where do i find this at, so i can remedy the situation? is this like google or in your face book, to where, if you post, the site gets permission to own your pictures? i dont mind if someone uploads a picture of mine, if they make a profit off of it, thats a different story. //ed
Did it perhaps say something about "Forbidden" specifically? Can you copy/paste the error message so I can look into it? We've had some strange happenings since the server move and ill need more information to look into it.

As for the image question, you can find all the information in the Terms of Use of the site at the bottom of the page.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
for me, its always friday, or monday.:smile i have screen capture, an will try an get back to you.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
picture down load

i did get to post pictures; it may take a bit for me, to reproduce my problem, in the first place. there were storms coming in, at the time, the earth has tilted towards summer, supposedly, when the tilt happens, the satellites move also, not sure i believe that.. right now i dont have a problem, except for my brother, to get the dish people out here, to check the signal. e dont want to do it. his mac is running slower also. i used 13.7 GB, from 5/7/17, to 6/02/18. i have blockers.. e dont want to hear that neither.. what can i say. e even pays extra for dish to come out an check things, but doesnt do it. MUCH sorry for venting. when, i can reproduce the problem i had last, i'll get back to you.
i did however, put pictures in a new folder, reduced them from Mbs to Kbs, and drop an drag worked. there were no pictures that were over 3 Mbs. it could be my machine. 1st hard drive is windows, 2nd hard drive is linux. i have yet to put my pictures in the 2nd hard drive. might as well leave my picture problem be, for the moment, till i get better information to give you. i do appreciate your help, an dont want to bother you unnecessarily. //ed

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
picture upload test

for me, its always friday, or monday.:smile i have screen capture, an will try an get back to you.
im going to try an reproduce the error if i can.
this time the upload was easy, ill try a different file an see if it does the same.
2nd try. second image took of my niece playing. ill do some checking around a bit, an get back.
the 1st time it 2.44MB, the2nd 788KB. that shouldn't matter. tonight the stars are out, last time storms an lightning. sat. internet is still running slow here. i remember being frustrated, because i was signed on, but the message i got was'' you have not been granted permissions'' my words were posted, but when it came to pictures'' not so. perhaps it was a ''perfect storm'', so to speak. happens again, i will try to capture the message. didnt see the word, ''Forbidden'', best i remember.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
The forbidden issue looks like it was fixed if that is what it was. This is a known issue when we transfer the sites over to the Cloud. It would have been noted during the transfer and fixed after, or I would have reported it.

Let me know if you see the error again during the daily use of the site.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
granted; seems like the word. you have not been granted permissions. however, the point is mote an the moment..
should i have a problem? i know who to ask... thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Just for general information, i went into network settings. windows xp.. i changed a few things, least a couple.. my brother gots the sat., internet service now, however, its plugged into my computer. then modem, plus WiFi. im direct wired, modem, to the dish, they use the WiFi. it takes a big bite of of my ability to get online during certain times. if i could get a WiFi card in this Dell, it might at least be even competition.,, soo
what i did is hit network connections. i unchecked QoS Packet Scheduler, made sure Client for Microsoft Networks, checked, an Internet Protocal TCP/IP). were checked, they were all ready.. then i corrected a problem, obtain DNS server address automatically,
that changed my speeds upload, an download.. now i get get, 1.2Mbit/s download with 22kbit/s to 35kbit/s upload on occasion.. i was getting rural country phone line speeds, before, i thought 4 or 5 kbits/s down was a good day. i went back in time, i do have better days when im the only one on line.. now to get a WiFi card, for DELL..
32bit PC i think, are going to be buried soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
You can get wifi SB adapters which removes the need for a card put in your system. I dont have a card in mine, just a small usb device I put in the front, but a straight cable from your modem to your computer is always best.

As for your internet service, you may want to call your provider and ensure you are getting the proper Up/Down. I recently had an issue where (in city mind you) was supposed to have 70mbs down, 10mbps up. I was running at 70down 1up. Issue with the line. Might be helpful to have them check the communication between them and you just for your own info. A quick call to them notified them of the issue and they resolved it on their end.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
You can get wifi SB adapters which removes the need for a card put in your system. I dont have a card in mine, just a small usb device I put in the front, but a straight cable from your modem to your computer is always best.
As for your internet service, you may want to call your provider and ensure you are getting the proper Up/Down. I recently had an issue where (in city mind you) was supposed to have 70mbs down, 10mbps up. I was running at 70down 1up. Issue with the line. Might be helpful to have them check the communication between them and you just for your own info. A quick call to them notified them of the issue and they resolved it on their end.
this is dish net. they installed the sat dish behind a large tree. the guy, though, was having a mental breakdown..
i told em, you look tired and worn out. maybe you should call it a day, an get some rest, give some thought to this job, think if its worth it. he didnt come back the next day. i think both of us felt better when, he left. least i did... the next guy, left the satellite where the other guy set it up. he said it would be OK.
my brother pay for the Internet, i chip in. unfortunately, because the sat. has to be connected to a PC, mine was the one selected. when some one with wifi, my brother an has 2 girls, are on line, my PC gets throttled down. its the way that dish network does things. i think if i get the usb device, perhaps i can get around this anomaly. i got room in the back for USB wifi, plus those in the back, are faster, than the ones in front.. does it matter much about the USB wifi plug in? plenty of places to shop. Thanks JB for the info.. ed
hears room for thought,, perhaps, the installer, didnt install the wifi/modem/PC in the correct order, or put the cables in the wrong, ports..

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
^^^^^ there is no need to reply to last post unless you want to upgrade any info. that you gave me.
i do have a picture porblem, though unless there are some that understand linux, you may not be able to solve it..
i can move my jpeg pictures from windows, to the linux hard drive. linux is using pg, as the format, instead of jpeg. i cant get my pictures to download, as of yet, from linux, nor do i know yet, how to convert them.. i dont want to use windows XP much, as that horse is losing its legs, and cant stand up. i held it together as long as i could. i think lots of people will move over to linux. my brother and sister went to MAC, though it cost a lot to do that. i like open source.. the principle there is to share, not money..

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
I use .PNG image files exclusively LedFTed. I rarely post a .JPG on the Internet without 1st stripping it of all tags, hidden text, hidden images-within-image, or other junk put in them by deviants. Is there anything I can help you with? Fire away....

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Unfortunately, the forum does not recognize pg as an image format. They would need to be in a JPEG/jpg/png format.
it was jpg.. i didnt see the j and thought it was pg... i did post a screen shot .png, in another thread. the .jpg would not down load. i have to go back an look at the chart to make sure they were not to big. i think i did already. i'll get back in a while

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I use .PNG image files exclusively LedFTed. I rarely post a .JPG on the Internet without 1st stripping it of all tags, hidden text, hidden images-within-image, or other junk put in them by deviants. Is there anything I can help you with? Fire away....
i know how to change picture format in windows, not with linux, lubuntu. i want to change my picture format from .jpg to .png, with linux.
got any ideal's. i tried to look it up on-line, but the smart search engines take me somewhere else... i've been searching for dumb search engines, search engines that dont think,, so i can get back to finding what i want, instead of what others are searching for.

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
I am not familiar with the LUbuntu desktop, but hopefully you can install and run GIMP (a good image editor, similar to Adobe Photoshop capabilities) on it OK?

I open all JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG) images in GIMP, then resize/crop/Copy selections/paste as new image if desired, then once I'm satisfied with edits go to File >> Export As >> menu and provide a PNG file name for your image in the directory where you wish to save it. A dialog window then pops up with additional options you can configure before saving that image file as a PNG. Clear all of those checkboxes that you'll see in that dialog box, leave the default compression setting at 9 and click OK to complete the save.

Your resulting PNG (Portable Network Graphics) file will be stripped of all of the unnecessary additional tags info (and code/text/images/links/GPS location data etc., that dirtbag corporations/criminals/spies/parasites/malwares hide within them without your permission) that the JPEG format provides. The new PNG file will be compressed loss-lessly as well, so image quality is always retained. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I am not familiar with the LUbuntu desktop, but hopefully you can install and run GIMP (a good image editor, similar to Adobe Photoshop capabilities) on it OK?

I open all JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG) images in GIMP, then resize/crop/Copy selections/paste as new image if desired, then once I'm satisfied with edits go to File >> Export As >> menu and provide a PNG file name for your image in the directory where you wish to save it. A dialog window then pops up with additional options you can configure before saving that image file as a PNG. Clear all of those checkboxes that you'll see in that dialog box, leave the default compression setting at 9 and click OK to complete the save.

Your resulting PNG (Portable Network Graphics) file will be stripped of all of the unnecessary additional tags info (and code/text/images/links/GPS location data etc., that dirtbag corporations/criminals/spies/parasites/malwares hide within them without your permission) that the JPEG format provides. The new PNG file will be compressed loss-lessly as well, so image quality is always retained. Hope this helps!
lubuntu is a derivative of ubuntu. another leg of linux. just think of ubuntu.
lubuntu has been striped down to run on older systems, older computers. its light, and fast..
when i upgrade PC, past GB's, i might still think of lubuntu, or some other linux version, that is light, an fast, on resources.. i havent quite got the hang of GIMP as yet. i been stuck it the windows world, since 2000, i never migrated past XP. i didnt like 7, an didnt want to learn it. i think it was a bait and switch, program. now the more windows grows, the more they know about you, and can direct programing, to influence you.. big brother..
sorry for the ramble.. ed

21 - 40 of 133 Posts