Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know about the petcock problems on a Honda Rancher or is it just mine having problems? I turn it to off but doesn't cut off. can't seam to find the off direction. The direction on the plastic near the knob is different than what it says close to the tank on the mettle part.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I've not heard of any problems with them in general with that model. Occasionally someone will post about a problem but it's not specific that any one machine.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Does anyone know about the petcock problems on a Honda Rancher or is it just mine having problems? I turn it to off but doesn't cut off. can't seam to find the off direction. The direction on the plastic near the knob is different than what it says close to the tank on the mettle part.
Here is the different positions as listed in the owner's manual. If you've already tried all of these positions and it still won't cut off in the "off" position, the rubber piece inside the valve must be bad. I've not heard of any problems with the valve assembly on the Rancher, though.

Reactions: a4x4high

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
Agree with Helmut, you also may want to make sure threr isn't and trash clogged up in there either.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Those are easy to take apart and clean, but don't forget to drain all the gas out of the tank first.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that diagram doesn't match my petcock. It won't let me turn the knob to the up position. Mine says off is left, gas is down, and reserve is right. But it runs in any position. Any special thing I need to know when cleaning it?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Any special thing I need to know when cleaning it?
Not really, just watch how it comes apart and notice how the gasket goes.

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
I'm having this problem with my 07 Rancher. It has been sitting up for awhile, doing a complete rebuild on it. The petcock is stopped up, and it's riveted together. Only way I see to disassemble it is to drill out the rivets. Any other way to clean it out?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
They are non serviceable. Just replace it.

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
They are non serviceable. Just replace it.
Nope, don't wanna pay $50 for a stinking petcock.

Drilled out the flashings/rivet and just kept drilling till I had holes all the way through. Going to hardware store now to get some small bolts and nuts to hold it together.

Oring and cloverleaf Oring both looked good. Had some NASTY gunk in there, but I got it cleaned out. Will reinstall after work today.

Attached pic has goop that was in the petcock, and you can see the holes I drilled.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
I thought mine was not working for the longest time, then I let it run for what seemed like 3-4 min and it finally died. I just leave it on. Its not like the bowl is gonna leak. That gunk is from the crappy gas they are selling us.

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
Yep, ethanol gas turns to goop if you leave it sitting. I use ethanol free in my small engines and Jeeps (Jeeps sit more than they're driven). On my carb'd Foreman I shut off the petcock and run them dry if they'll be sitting. While on an EFI machine you don't have to worry about the bowl leaking, if it's gonna sit for a long while, you don't want crappy E10 turning to gel inside your fuel line/ fuel pump. Of course, if it's gonna sit that long you need to just drain the tank and get ALL the as out of the machine.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My wifes 06 rancher has the same issue with the petcock, it won't shut off. I found this when installing an inline fuel filter when I cut the fuel line. It doesn't seem to cause any problems so I'm not messing with it. Lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you cannot see the pointer on the valve just remember counter clockwise all the way is on. 1/4 turn clockwise is off. Another 1/4 turn clockwise is reserve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts