Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought what I was told is a 86 trx300ex. the vin on top of engine is te13e-80t5795. is that correct? where can I get performance parts for it?

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
welcome to the forums. that number is not the vin number !. the vin number is always stamped on the front of the frame, under the front middle of the fender, stamped on a cross plate. 17 digits, read from left to right, your after the 10th digit, that tells us what year it is.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
the engine vin doesn't help?
nope, the engine number won't tell you, or us ?, what you have ?, but the vin number will and does ! :).

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
300ex first year was 93. Before that was the 250x from 87-92 (not to be confused with the 250x started in 09 but is really the 250ex)

If you post a pic that will help also

Rob

·
Registered
711 Posts
300ex first year was 93. Before that was the 250x from 87-92 (not to be confused with the 250x started in 09 but is really the 250ex)

If you post a pic that will help also

Rob
Are you the one they call Dr Feelgood?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Looks like a 250x since it has kick start. That was eliminated on the 300ex

Rob

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Honestly you could stick more money in performance parts into it than it's worth and you still won't keep up with a stock 400ex, or be as reliable. I would ride it as is till you get bored of it and then upgrade to something better out of the box.

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Honestly you could stick more money in performance parts into it than it's worth and you still won't keep up with a stock 400ex, or be as reliable. I would ride it as is till you get bored of it and then upgrade to something better out of the box.

Rob

I agree with this statement 100%. I had a 300ex years ago. Did a 330 big bore kit, stroker crank, big cam, ported head, bigger valves, 400ex carb, full 400ex front suspension conversion, pretty much everything you could do to a 300ex. And a bone stock 400ex was right next to me. A piped 400ex walked away from me. A mild built 400ex made me look like i had a anchor dragging behind me. 300ex and 250x's arent worth almost any money resale either. I sold my built one for 1500 and now you can get them for 800-1000 bucks titled and perfect. If it dosnt have enough power get a 400 or 450. Just an fyi you already have a full pipe on that quad also. Looks like a fmf header to me. And obveously a cobra slip-on

Reactions: JBGill06

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I would bid you good luck with that! The 400ex motor would in no way shape or form fit. You would have to do alot of custom frame modification. If memory serves me the 250x motor doesnt even have the swing arm pivot bolt go through it like the 400ex does. I would be extremely interested in seeing pictures of that build.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Putting a motor on a buggy that is already a tube frame and has all the extra room in the world for motor size is one thing. Square tube frame of a 250x having to make it longer and mostlikely taller if you want to have room to put a gas tank on ot that is. And then making it hold up to the abuse atv's go through. Like i said if you do this i will follow your build thread and want to see lots of pictures. I would bet its atleast a 2 year process unless you have alot of free time. And even more money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i'll see if one will even fit under the seat. he gave me the recipts. I guess they bored it to a 300cc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts